By Ken Schutte
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
ToneExplorer lets you generate, view, hear, and easily
manipulate basic audio signals using natural touch gestures.
- This is a UNIVERAL APP: one purchase works on both iPhone (iPod touch) and iPad.
The iPad interface is designed specifically the the iPad screen size.
==== Offers a very flexible tone generator ====
- Four waveform shapes to listen to / view:
- Square wave
- Enter aritrary values for frequency and amplitude.
==== Unique graphical/interactive interface to set paramegers ====
1. Waveform View:
The time-domain representation
of the signal, and change the frequency or
amplitude by simply pinching and stretching
2. Parameter View:
A "phase-space" view of the waveform's parameters:
frequency and amplitude. Control these two parameters
by moving a point in the frequency-amplitude plane.
Dragging finger can mimic theremin-like sounds.
- Ampltiude: linear or logarithmic (dB, decibels) scale.
- Frequency: linear (Hertz) or logarithmic (midi note number) scale.
- Zoom in/out
Both views can be zoomed in and out.
Can make aritrarily fine-grained changes
to the parameters.
- A variety of other methods to set the frequency:
- Set to the frequency corresponding to a musical note.
Choose from presets of all notes spanning 11 octaves.
- Change frequency by musical intervals:
- Minor second
- Major second
- Minor third
- Major third
- Perfect fourth
- Perfect fifth
- Minor sixth
- Major sixth
- Minor seventh
- Major seventh
- Set to frequency corresponding to notes on typical instruments. Presets include:
==== More uses ====
- Check your hearing. Find the maximum frequency/amplitude setting you can hear.
- Educational. Learn and explore the concepts of amplitude, frequency, wavelength, pitch, and volume.
Also explore the differences between linear and logarithmic scales for frequency and amplitude.
- Musical ear training.
- Generate high-pitched tones: control dogs (dog whistle),
irritate young people, and confuse old people.
- Tune instruments. Includes settings for guiar,violin,viola,cello,bass, and piano.
Excellent audio signal generator and oscilloscope display in one, easy to use package. Makes good use of ipad display, sound, and touch controls for good interactive experience. When can we have a modulator version?
Fun and easy to use. Great teaching tool. More uses than you can imagine.
- Category: Utilities
- Released: Sep 02, 2011
- Version: 1.0
- Size: 0.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Ken Schutte
- © 2011 Ken Schutte
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.