By Inklen Ltd
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Tonetable is an application for DJs who want to control their digital vinyl system from their iPhone or iPod Touch. It produces a control tone that is compatible with most digital vinyl systems such as Serato's Scratch Live™, M-Audio's Torq™, and Image-Line's Deckadance™ (please note that it is no longer compatible with Traktor Scratch™ by Native Instruments).
Tonetable features a large scratching platter that allows you to scratch and throw the virtual vinyl similar to using a real turntable. To use Tonetable with your DJ software simply connect an audio cable from the line out of your iPhone or iPod Touch to your audio interface's line in.
- Scratch, throw and pitch bend.
- Pitch slider capable of fine pitch control.
- Configurable control tone (1 kHz - as used by Scratch Live™, 1.2 kHz - as used by Torq™ ).
- 33 or 45 RPM modes.
What's New in Version 1.2
- iPad compatibility
- Customizable colours
- Adjustable size and position of the scratching area
- Pitch percentage is now displayed in the pitch slider
- Improved responsiveness while scratching
I've done two practice sessions and two full gigs with this so far, and I'm very impressed.
My only complaint, is the pitch bend. I wish I could have better control of it. The curve of the bend starts off nice and slow, but gradually grows to be to much. It would be nice if we could either set a cut-off to the curve, or like some other users mentioned, be able to use the platter to bend pitch by the use of 1 finger, while maintaining normal scratch control with two or more fingers.
Also, scratch latency is a little bit noticeable, however compared to other "scratch" apps that I've used, is completely acceptable.
Scratch That Itch!
Great app, works slick with Traktor Scratch Pro. Finally was able to set things up for a test and the control is very impressive. There is still the "Unknown Medium" calibration error, but it takes the 2k signal and works fine. This is exactly what I was looking for to work in conjunction with TouchOSC for the mix controls on another device. Clean UI and very responsive, yet I also love the customizability. Well done.
Great idea, horrible implementation
If this app had all the elements of my sl-1200, i would be using it as a replacement. For instance,
1) There is no start/stop button when the slider is pitch slider is selected. Why does it need to be selected instead of just being there all the time just beats me. It is not like it is using up to much screen. Just get rid of those pitch bend buttons or make them smaller and have a start/stop button there all the time!
2) It only works in relative mode. It is just a pain to have to go back to the laptop to cue up. If i was the developer, i would add absolute position, that way one could needle drop(by selecting this function with another button) and also having the ability save temporary cue points.
3) when pressing the home button, the app stops. If by accident i were to push the home button during a gig, i would be screwed.
The above three requests/comments should not be hard to implement.