Toot! is a client for the Mastodon social network. It is beautiful, and full of character and whimsy.
What makes Toot! special?
- It is delightful. It is full of beautiful design, animation, amusing details and hidden treasures.
- It is fast and robust. It caches data locally to let you read without waiting for slow loading, and it remembers your reading position.
- It lets you be as many people as you like. You can easily switch between accounts with a flick of your finger. It even lets you read timelines on instances you are not logged in to!
- It has the cutest icon.
What makes Mastodon special?
- It is a social network by humans, rather than algorithms and corporate interests.
- It is a social network for humans, rather than advertisers and data collectors.
- It is a social network that is humane, rather than preying on your insecurities and worst instincts.
Why does Toot! cost money?
- Toot! shows you no ads, and it collects none of your information, nor does it track any of your habits. It does not try to trick you into doing anything you do not want.
- That means it gets no money through such shady tricks, and relies on you to support its development.
Follow @firstname.lastname@example.org for more updates and information!
* Themes! You can now pick the look of the app from four different themes, both dark and light. You can even use different themes for different instances.
* There is now a short explanation of how Mastodon works when you start the app the first time, to make things a bit less confusing.
* The settings screen has been improved - it now features explanations of what some settings actually do, and it also has options for setting the default visibility of posts, and changing the app icon.
* Small bugfixes and UI tweaks here and there.
Ratings and Reviews
Great so far!!
I’ve been complaining about other iOS apps for Mastodon for a long time. I really
appreciate Toot! so far.
There are so many cute features and noises. The switching of instances is easy and fun. Noticing favorites is easy, the boost animation is nice. Reply mapping is amazing and greatly appreciated. Accessibility through use of words (“reply” “favorite” etc) is thoughtful and good. It looks amazing, it is speedy, there are small details that are so helpful: instance initials on the small tab to switch, their full name on the side as they are switching, different toot modes for images versus text, easy to see post privacy, AMAZING image captioning UI where you see the whole image...
There are a few things I dislike or have questions about: how do I put the sensitive content back over images, the image links showing up on browser when posting images, will there be a dark theme, the switching between timelines (home versus federated or instance) isn’t as obvious, the CW yellow warning tab maybe should be a tad bigger, do filters work, will there be access to custom emojis...
But overall this is a vast improvement and a really nice app, and I am so happy to be able to use it finally!
Delightful Mastodon app
This is the most charming Mastodon app by far, and one of a few that feel truly native on iOS. I've been pretty happy with the user experience, so I was happy to pay a little for it. The app seems pretty stable despite being in active development.
A few killer Mastodon features are missing that I would love to see:
- Keyword filtering
- Custom emoji picker (currently emojis in toots are displayed but there is no picker to select them yourself)
- View federated timeline (currently the local public timeline and home timeline are all that is available)
- The visibility status of a post isn't clear until you try to reply to it - needs an indication showing if a toot is followers-only.
I think this app is a great start and I hope the developer expands it to cover more features soon!
Zach Gage, move over
Toot! has got to be my favorite billiards game on the App Store. The 3D graphics are smooth and stylish, and the physics are extremely responsive. There’s this other stuff about social networking too I guess if you want that.
- Dag Agren
- 33 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2018 Dag Ågren
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.