By Phil Endecott
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
* View over 70,000 USGS and Canadian topographical maps on your iPhone or iPod touch. * Ideal for hiking and other backcountry activities. * Map downloads are FREE! * More than 4 million maps downloaded so far!
- iPad owners, please see the app "Topo Maps for iPad".
* Users write:
" I've bought all the topo map apps and I like this the best "
" Scans are gorgeous ... the interface is exceptionally clean "
" Downloading maps is easy and fast ... Map displays beautifully and zooms flawlessly "
* Includes Alaska (at 1:24,000 and 1:63,360) and Canada (at 1:50,000), plus Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
* Locate the maps you need on the satellite view. To install a map, touch for about half a second. Touch again to view it.
* Search by name for over a million towns, peaks, lakes, parks and other features.
* No network connection is needed once the maps have been installed.
* Mark waypoints, and import and export waypoint files in GPX, KML and CSV formats.
* Touch the "current location" button to see where you are, and the compass button to align the map with the ground.
* See coordinates in NAD27 or WGS84 degrees, degrees minutes and seconds, UTM, or MGRS formats.
* Measure distances (miles, feet and km) and bearings (true and magnetic).
Coverage: this app makes available more than 70,000 maps covering the United States, including Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Canada.
The Maps: This app uses high-quality scans of the traditional USGS and NRCan topographic maps which have been the definitive resource for hikers and other backcountry users for many years. You can make the terrain stand out with hill shading, using simulated sunlight from the direction of your choice. This app does not use the new "US Topo" maps because they do not show hiking trails and lack other details: please see the web site for more details.
Downloading: US maps are around 8 MB in size and download in a few seconds on a typical home broadband connection. Canadian maps are larger. Both cellular data and WiFi can be used, though WiFi is likely to be more reliable in most cases.
- Do please visit http://topomapsapp.com/ for complete instructions, so that you don't miss any features.
We have many ideas for additional features to add to future versions of this app; if you have ideas or other questions or comments, contact details can be found on the website, http://topomapsapp.com/. The website also has more screenshots and other information.
What's New in Version 1.15
This is a further update for improved iOS 8 compatibility.
I've used this app for a number of years. The map quads are real usgs maps and best of all is the stitching that adjoins the quads into a multi quad view. I'm a rock hound and geologist and spend a lot of time in Nevada . You can see yourself while driving along the dirt roads and this feature is priceless for finding overgrown roads that would otherwise blend into the surroundings.
The only drawback I've found is the lack of private property delineation.
Bought this to use while offroading and after first use I'm thoroughly impressed. Would only add route tracking to increase to 5 stars. Great res on topos, easy to download maps!
For those upset about old maps, they are USGS TOPO maps and many are old. Good maps, even if they are old.
I've had this app for 4+ years. Use it everyday for my profession. Quick download, great in-app tools. Have saved time and money with this app. Highly recommend for Land Surveyors.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: Oct 31, 2014
- Version: 1.15
- Size: 69.6 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Philip Endecott
- © 2009-2014 Philip Endecott
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.