By Phil Endecott
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
* View over 70,000 USGS and Canadian topographical maps on your iPhone or iPod touch. * Ideal for hiking and other backcountry activities. * Map downloads are FREE! * More than 4 million maps downloaded so far!
- iPad owners, please see the app "Topo Maps for iPad".
* Users write:
" I've bought all the topo map apps and I like this the best "
" Scans are gorgeous ... the interface is exceptionally clean "
" Downloading maps is easy and fast ... Map displays beautifully and zooms flawlessly "
* Includes Alaska (at 1:24,000 and 1:63,360) and Canada (at 1:50,000), plus Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
* Locate the maps you need on the satellite view. To install a map, touch for about half a second. Touch again to view it.
* Search by name for over a million towns, peaks, lakes, parks and other features.
* No network connection is needed once the maps have been installed.
* Mark waypoints, and import and export waypoint files in GPX, KML and CSV formats.
* Touch the "current location" button to see where you are, and the compass button to align the map with the ground.
* See coordinates in NAD27 or WGS84 degrees, degrees minutes and seconds, UTM, or MGRS formats.
* Measure distances (miles, feet and km) and bearings (true and magnetic).
Coverage: this app makes available more than 70,000 maps covering the United States, including Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Canada.
The Maps: This app uses high-quality scans of the traditional USGS and NRCan topographic maps which have been the definitive resource for hikers and other backcountry users for many years. You can make the terrain stand out with hill shading, using simulated sunlight from the direction of your choice. This app does not use the new "US Topo" maps because they do not show hiking trails and lack other details: please see the web site for more details.
Downloading: US maps are around 8 MB in size and download in a few seconds on a typical home broadband connection. Canadian maps are larger. Both cellular data and WiFi can be used, though WiFi is likely to be more reliable in most cases.
- Do please visit http://topomapsapp.com/ for complete instructions, so that you don't miss any features.
We have many ideas for additional features to add to future versions of this app; if you have ideas or other questions or comments, contact details can be found on the website, http://topomapsapp.com/. The website also has more screenshots and other information.
What's New in Version 1.16
This update is for compatibility with the iPhone 6s, along with various minor bug fixes.
If you don't have an iPhone 6s there is not much to be gained by updating.
An indispensable app
This is honestly one of my favorite apps and rightly earns a place on my home screen. It's truly indispensable. I cycled over 1,000 miles around Washington state and 1,500 miles down the Pacific coast back in 2009 and the app helped guide me every step of the way. With my solar charger, there's almost nothing I can't do with this app, and features are constantly being updated as well. Definitely worth the money.
Best app for backpacking, Land Nav, and Survival
This app I amazing. Works without service. It's never been wrong. You should make an Apple Watch version to go with this too for quick compass work, triangulation, and for just a quick look at how far youve gone and have left to go.
Definietely worth the $8.
An amazingly helpful app. Some complain that the maps themselves are older, I think it's a good thing. Shows features that are no longer shown on modern maps.
I'm very glad I purchased.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: Nov 05, 2015
- Version: 1.16
- Size: 71.1 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Philip Endecott
- © 2009-2015 Philip Endecott
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.