By Laurent Grandhomme
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Fast indexed file search application.
Video presentation (click on "Laurent Grandhomme Web Site" for a direct link):
An efficient solution for finding just about everything!
- Locate your documents, folders, music, movies and more; instantly
- Find files by name, but also by path
- Simple, easy to use and intuitive user interface
- Quick file and folder indexing
- Small resource usage
- Search options customizable to fit your needs
- Compact database
- Real time database update
- Use hotkey for on-the-spot search
Finding exactly what you need can be a long, tedious process:
- Spotlight, unlike Toucan, doesn’t index your entire computer, which is why your searches often come up short
- Other applications, while able to locate files, are very slow because they search for files by scanning your disk drive
- The locate command line utility is great, however, it requires a lot of unnecessary work on your part (locate, copy the file path and then open it)
Toucan indexes your files and folders to return results quickly.
Toucan is much more than “just” a search engine; once you find the files and folders you’re looking for, you can:
- Reveal in finder
- Open a terminal in the file’s directory
- Get info
- Quick look for preview
- Compress files/directories
- Compare files using FileMerge (needs to be installed)
- Move to trash / delete
- Copy file names
- Copy file paths
- Copy enclosing folder paths
- Drag and drop to other applications such as Mail.app, Finder, etc
Results are sortable and you can save them as xml, html and csv.
Toucan, the only search application you need on your Mac.
What's New in Version 1.5.2
- It is now possible to compress the selected items by either pressing cmd+Z or by selecting "compress" in the right/control click menu
- Fixed a minor bug
This is a must have for Lion
Spotlight on Lion will not find the files I'm looking for 90% of the time, especially hidden files. I tell it to include system and hidden files and it mostly just ignores them. With Toucan, you can completely specify what it indexes and what it does not (i.e., drives, volumes, directories, etc.). And it is very fast e.g. I had it search for * (everything) on my SSD and it found 1.2 million files in 8 seconds. If you're doing an ordinary search, the results are effectively instantaneous. After you build your result table, you can perform a number of operations on the files it finds such as open, open containing folder, delete, and so on. The only minor problem I've found is that the blue stripes on the result table don't work on my system, but I have good reason to suspect that this is not Toucan's problem. In any event this application is worth far more than it costs. 6 stars out of five, and a round of applause for Laurent Grandhomme.
Lightening fast search for local and network volumes. Excellent!
Since Spotlight cannot find files over the network, I used to use Easyfind for stuff on the NAS. Easyfind is good but slower since it does not index. After I purchased Toucan Search every other search tool became obsolete. Toucan indices local and network volumes and returns results faster than a blink, and it finds files on NAS volumes just fine.
Con: I still use Easyfind as a backup for network searches because Toucan does not return new additions and changes due to its outdated index; wihile Easyfind though slower returns even the newest added files. I do not know how to get Toucan to monitors creation, deletion and renaming of files and folders more often Suggestions?.
I find all my stuff.
I have Librarys of books and movies on my Mac.
With this I can start typing and titles will appear.
Like Google, it will show you titles before you finish typing but its so fast... There is no loading to find titles!!
Finder is no mach to Toucan Search!!