By Kawai Musical Instruments Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Touch Notation is a powerful musical score creation app that allows anyone to enjoy writing music using touch gestures.
In Japan, Touch Notation was selected as one of the ‘App Store Best of 2014’ apps, and held the No.1 spot in the iPad Paid App index for music apps for over two weeks.
Touch Notation is available in free and full versions, allowing musicians to experience most of the app’s features at no cost.
Up until now, musical score creation software has relied upon dragging individual notes from a palette onto staves. By contrast, Touch Notation allows musicians to draw directly onto the score using a finger or touch pen, and have their work immediately appear as beautifully written notation, then played back using the app’s 30 built-in instrument voices.
- A wide-range of functions accessible from a cleanly designed, intuitive user interface.
- Ability to enter musical expressions for adjusting tempo and dynamics.
- Convenient transpose feature for raising/lowering the pitch of the entire score.
- Output scores using Air Print, or save to Dropbox in PDF, SMF, MusicXML, and ScoreMaker formats.
Touch Notation allows the following musical symbols to be entered by hand:
- Note, Rest (including dotted and double-dotted), Long Rest, Beam, Tuplet (Triplet)
- Grace Note
- Accidental, Tie, Slur
- Accent, Staccato, Tenuto, Fermata
- Trill, sfz, Arpeggio, Pedal, Senza
- Metronome symbol
- Crescendo, Decrescendo
- Dynamics symbols (ppp~fff)
- Octave symbol
- Repeat brackets
- Repeat marks (D.C./Fine/D.S./Segno/Coda/to Coda)
- Clefs (Treble Clef/Bass Clef/C Clef/Percussion Clef)
- Key signature
- Time signature
- Bar lines (repeat marks)
Other musical expressions (‘Dolce’, ‘Tranquillo’, etc.) can be added using text input, while comments and memos can also be written freehand directly onto the score.
* Entering rhythm notation, tab notation etc. is not supported.
* Older devices may experience stuttering when playing complicated scores with many simultaneous notes. Users are recommended to test the free version of Touch Notation in order to assess the app’s performance on their device.
What's New in Version 1.1.001
- Added support for entering and editing drum notation.
- Added 5 new score templates that include drum percussion.
- Added support for entering grace notes.
- Added support for writing abbreviation symbols.
- Added ability to resume score playback using a > gesture
- Various other small fixes.
Simple, quick, bad transpositions
I like the quick entry and ease of editing. Much more intuitive than many apps. But the transposition logic is simply wrong. A change from C Major to c minor does not mean shifting all pitches up 3 semi-tones. The tonic is still C!
- Category: Music
- Updated: Mar 19, 2017
- Version: 1.1.001
- Size: 121 MB
- Languages: English, Japanese
- Seller: Kawai Musical Instruments Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
- © 2014-2017 Kawai Musical Instruments Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Chord Name & Automatic Accompaniment$4.99
- Sound Set: Full$4.99
- Handwritten Font$2.99
- Core MIDI Output$2.99
- Sound Set: Piano$0.99
- Sound Set: Brass/Woodwind$0.99
- Sound Set: Strings$0.99
- Sound Set: Vocal/Others$0.99
- Sound Set: Guitar/Bass 1$0.99
- Sound Set: Bell/Mallet$0.99