By Mike Sutherland
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
You have a model railroad. You have an ECoS or ECoS2 digital command station from ESU, a Central Station from Märklin or a Lenz v3.6 command station. You also have an iPhone or an iPod touch from Apple and a wireless network connected to the command station.
Would you like to run your model railroad from the iPhone or iPod? You can - with TouchCab.
So what is TouchCab?
TouchCab is a handheld controller for your model railroad. With TouchCab you can follow your trains around your layout without having to worry about plugging and unplugging a wired device. You can throw switches/turnouts and set train routes as you move along.
- Control all the locomotives defined in the command station.
- Access up to 29 functions of each locomotive.
- Clear overview of the locomotive’s speed and state.
- Easily change the throttle from left- to right handed operation.
- Wireless network connection to the command station.
- Control all switches/turnouts and signals defined in the command station.
- Locomotives and accessories are listed alphabetically, regardless of their order in the command station lists.
Supported command stations:
ECoS 50000 by ESU (v1.1.3 or higher)
ECoS 2 50200 by ESU (v3.2.0 or higher)
Central Station 60212 by Märklin (v2.0.4 or higher)
Lenz 23151 XpressNet Interface with Lenz v3.6 command stations
- Network connection to the command station
- Wireless connection to the iPhone or iPod Touch
- Tap the speed wedge in either side to speed up and slow down your trains
- Change speed gradually by dragging across the speed wedge
- Double-tap the halt button to halt all trains.
- Swipe the function buttons sideways to access locomotive functions above F7
- Switch between left and right hand operation from the options tab
- Control routes and turnouts from the turnouts tab
- Control signals and other accessories from the signals tab
Want to try before your buy?
Try TouchCab Free - a feature limited free version that is built on the same code base as TouchCab.
What's New in Version 1.8.3
Fixed the "missing data" bug
ESU Ecos2 use
Downloaded the full version to use on my iPod Touch with my ESU Ecos2 station.
The one apparent problem I had was with the speed slider region. While tapping on the left side to decel, being sure not to touch the lower triangle, the app still assumed I was trying to tap on the x-coord location of the triangle, leading to sudden accels. I seem to avoid this by tapping directly over the speed number (upper left) when wanting to decel.
On the plus side, I was very impressed how quickly the app linked to the Ecos2. After giving the IP address of the Ecos2, TouchCab seamlessly pulled up the Ecos2's locomotive database (no accessories stored) and all were accessible, even the multi-loco consists. Aside from the sensitive speed slider, buttons for power and functions are easy to push.
The ability to "swipe" to the higher functions over F7 is also great, works faster than most other systems or throttles to access higher functions.
Compared to instead spending hundreds of $$ for a ESU Mobile Control throttle, this app comes off as quite a bargain. Highly recommend for US owners of ESU Ecos seeking wireless throttle options.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Jan 30, 2014
- Version: 1.8.3
- Size: 2.0 MB
- Languages: English, Danish, French, German, Spanish, Swedish
- Seller: Mike Sutherland
- © TouchCab
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.