Tower of London Audio Guide & Map
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
WORKS OFFLINE - NO ROAMING CHARGES
The Tower of London is one of the most spectacular castles in England and a must see for any visitor to London. With the iconic 'Beefeaters' and the Crown Jewels there is plenty to see. And with almost one thousand years of history, the walls have plenty of stories to tell.
This app will act as your own personal tour guide, showing you around the Tower and telling you all about the fortress, its ancient traditions and the people who have lived and died here over the centuries. There are 15 stops on this tour during which you will:
- hear who was marched up through Traitor's Gate
- walk through the home of King Edward I, the 'Hammer of the Scots'
- find out why the ravens are always in the Tower
- see the site of the scaffold where Anne Bolyen met her end
- listen to tale of a nearly successful attempt to steal the Crown Jewels
- discover the oldest, continually performed daily ceremony in the world
And much more.
To help you get the most out of your visit to the Tower of London this app features far more than a traditional audio guide. It includes:
- an hour of audio recordings telling you about the Tower
- old pictures of the Tower and its famous inhabitants
- a zoomable and pannable map
- Tower time line
- graphics showing the development of the Tower through the centuries
- advice on buying your tickets and opening times
- help getting to the Tower
- other attractions to visit close by
No internet connection or expensive data roaming charges required. All of the content is loaded onto your phone before you go.
What's New in Version 1.1.1
I've used the official audio guides at all of the other sites I've visited in England (Stonehenge, Roman Baths, British Museum) and I think they're all very well put together. A variety of voices from a span of academic disciplines and good sound editing.
I didn't feel like putting my hand up to my ear this time (the ToL uses the cell phone style audio guides like a lot of other tourist attractions here), and this app is the only one that showed up in the App Store. The sparse reviews (two) since it was released years ago made me a bit skeptical, particularly with them being of the glowing 5 star variety.
The audio commentary that's provided is fine, although not very extensive and it sounds like it was recorded with a cheap microphone in someone's unfinished basement. I would have liked to see a *lot* more spots from which to play commentary. The app has 15 general spots, where I can imagine the official audio guide has 100 or more (judging by where I saw others listening to them).
All in all, I did learn some interesting things from commentary in this app, but I'm going to assume the official guide is far superior.
Great alternative to renting audio tours
Bought this app for my family and me when visiting the Tower of London. Much cheaper than renting an audio tour and worked out great. Content was interesting and the app easy to use.
- Category: Travel
- Updated: Apr 26, 2013
- Version: 1.1.1
- Size: 49.6 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: WalkAppBout Ltd
- © 2012 WalkAppBout Ltd
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.