Tracing Projector is your personal portable drawing and composition tool.
Having Tracing Projector is like always having a sheet of tracing paper with you! Find any image you'd like to draw, then look at your screen while you trace the image on paper!
- Create Something! Make real one-of-a-kind artwork you can hang on your wall!
- Learn to Draw! Learn proportions and important lines by tracing photos of anything! Use several filters to enhance your photo, making it easier to trace.
- Trace on your Face! Great for face painting or artistic makeup!
- Send unique greetings on social media! Friends and family will love to see your animated drawings on their time line and news feed!
- Show off your skills! Record a video while you draw and share it on your favorite social network. Your friends will be amazed! Choose from time-lapse and regular speeds, and include a narrative if you want to.
- Great for school projects! Need to draw an image from a book on a poster? Trace it!
- Kick-start your painting or portrait! Transfer your idea from a photo to your drawing canvas to get the proportions right.
- Match the Composition! Transfer your plan from a sketch to the scrapbook page or photo wall!
Tracing Projector is a modern take on Camera Lucida, an invention from more than two hundred years ago that consists of a mirror or prism which you position above a drawing surface. The mirror or prism reflects the object you would like to draw so that your eye sees the object superimposed on your drawing surface.
Several tools make it really easy to trace your image:
- Handheld Mode -- On supported devices, Augmented Reality keeps your tracing image steady while you hold your device at a comfortable angle. (demo video https://youtu.be/YJeK5Sjdi1Q). Requires iOS 11.3 or later on iPhone 6s/6s Plus or iPad Pro and later. Works best on stable horizontal and vertical surfaces with good light and some visible surface detail.
- Lock the camera focus to keep the image steady while you trace.
- Lock the canvas area to keep your layout and alignment while you zoom in to get a close look at your work in progress.
- Several Filter modes enhance your image, increasing contrast to give you a better result.
- Use the flashlight to light up your drawing. (requires Full Version)
- Use the selfie camera and draw on your face. (requires Full Version)
Other features make it fun and easy to share your creations with your friends.
- Video recording in Time Lapse mode to make things smaller and faster and cooler. You can enable normal-speed and audio on the Settings screen.
- Still image capture while you draw, to capture snapshot images of your drawing in progress. (requires Full Version)
- The recorded video or snapshot includes a small thumbnail of the tracing image (with an option to turn that off).
- Your videos and snapshots are stored automatically and available to share later from within the app or iTunes file sharing.
- Sharing your videos and photos is easy with a preview screen and saved photos/videos!
- Interrupted while recording your drawing? No problem - Combine multiple videos to create a single video for sharing! Use the Edit feature on the Saved Files screen: select two movies and tap Join.
Tracing Projector is Enhanced For 3D Touch! Start right away from the camera or photo album from the home screen! Force-touch on the tracing image to peek at your progress while you draw!
- For best results, stabilize your device above your drawing surface. A stack of books, drinking glass, or tripod works best.
- The app requires access to your camera in order to present its overlay for drawing.
- The app requires access to your photos in order to load an image to trace and to save the video of your drawing.
- The app optionally uses your microphone when recording a video while you draw.
- The free version has no ads; drawing sessions are limited to two minutes at a time.
This release includes bug fixes and general usability and performance improvements.
• Swiping from the left side of the screen will no longer reset the tracing session when the tracing image is locked to the camera view.
• The main screen has been updated to make the currently active tracing mode (tripod vs handheld where supported) more visible and discoverable.
Ratings and Reviews
Not clear if you just look at the image on your screen & try to copy, or if the image is actually projected on to the drawing surface to trace on paper or canvas.
Nothing is projecting for me with or without the flashlight. Tried everything suggested. Since I can’t get it to work, can’t really rate. Looked for support, but couldn’t find anything relevant.
If app wants to respond & tell m how to get it to work, I will revisit this rating,
Update: I figured it & developer responded to my previous review. It’s not what I’d hoped, but it does work. Seems like it would take much practice to master & size of image you trace is very limited. When I have more time to practice, I may find it more useful. Wanted to use it to project an image on s canvas to paint. Could work for something very small. I was hoping to not have to purchase a projector for that purpose & save some $.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the feedback! Your iPhone doesn't have the hardware to physically project an image onto a drawing surface, so this is a *virtual* projector, overlaying the image you would like to draw onto whatever your camera is pointing at. While you are drawing, watch the image on your phone screen. There is a demo video on the app website www.photility.com/projector that shows this about 25 seconds in.
I hope that helps, if you have more questions feel free to reach out over email.
Love it but...
I seriously love this app! After the other app started acting up and kept asking me to buy the full version I stumbled upon this app, the only problem here sometimes is that after I “lock the image in place” it starts moving or changes size even if my phone is held motionless.
And sometimes the image would move around if my hand or pencil get in the way. I follow the instruction perfectly don’t know if it could be fixed please fix it! I love it so much!!!!
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the feedback! If you’re using the augmented reality “handheld” mode available on newer iOS devices, make sure you’re working in lots of light and the drawing surface has some “reference marks” that your device can use to keep track of the surface. Little bits of blue painters tape can work. Or you can fall back to “tripod mode” and use a stack of books or a tripod to hold your device steady.
This is great!
I have been currently been trying to find a new art style to impress my friends, and this will help a lot! This app is better than most I've tried, and I've tried a lot of them! I think it's great that people come up with this because if I try to do something on google and trace it, it always zooms in and out and I can't ever do anything about it. This is a would recommend from me! 😛
- steve dodge
- 73.4 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2016-2018 Steve Dodge
- In-App Purchases
- Full Functionality $2.99
- Pro Bundle - Best Value! $4.99
- High Quality Video $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.