trainchinese: Dictionary & Flash cards
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Learn Chinese with an amazing dictionary and flash card system.
trainchinese will teach you Chinese, with a free and complete dictionary, thousands of vocab lists, example sentences, audio recordings, measure words and character animations - and a powerful flash card system featuring handwriting training!
• Our dictionary prioritises commonly-used words and phrases above the obscure and obsolete, while example sentences and measure words (classifiers) provide crucial context to help you decide which Chinese word is the most appropriate translation. Other dictionaries just leave you guessing!
• Search for words by part of speech - simply type the abbreviated type followed by a period (.). For example, "ma n." gets you "ma" words that are nouns.
• Mistyped a word? Helpful spelling suggestions get you to the right results fast.
• Words feature both example sentences and measure words for nouns. It's time to move beyond "个"! And best of all it's all connected: tap examples and measure words to open them as full dictionary entries.
• trainchinese is great for students: it includes more than a thousand vocabulary lists covering topics from International Relations to American Football Teams and more. Feel like something's missing? Users often get in touch to ask for lists on the topics they're studying, and we're happy to oblige! You'll also find lists containing HSK-level words (both old and new standards), plus TOCFL lists for students in Taiwan!
• Highlight words with your finger for super-fast access to character animations, related searches and more!
• Whether you're studying the Simplified (mainland China and Singapore) or Traditional (Hong Kong and Taiwan) variants, we've got you covered! Easily switch between them or choose to display both in dictionary results and on flash cards. Even better, you can use the phonetics you're comfortable with - choose from Pinyin with tone marks, Pinyin with tone numbers or even Zhuyin characters (from the BoPoMoFo system used in Taiwan).
• Create flash cards with audio and animation from dictionary entries. Organise them into lists, and share them with friends (or students).
• Our Spaced Repetition system ensures you'll memorize words for good.
• Train your way: each card is available in four different modes to test different aspects of Chinese study. See Chinese, Pinyin or English and get tested on translation, and even compare your handwriting to a stroke-order animation side-by-side, synchronized! Or if you prefer, there's multiple choice training too (for a real challenge, try it in "Dictation" mode!).
• Flash cards are saved on your device and synchronized with trainchinese.com, where you can also train with them and find more great content.
• Add study notes to your flash cards - they're saved and backed up at trainchinese.com.
Don't forget to check out our other apps (tap our company name in iTunes for more info):
- Chinese Writer
- Chinese Audio Trainer
- My Chinese Library (phrase books)
- Pinyin Trainer
- Number Trainer
What's New in Version 8.2
Bugfixes and performance enhancements
Best app for learning Chinese
This is the best app out there for learning Chinese. It's the only one I've found that helps you practice writing characters, both in traditional and simplified forms, plus pronunciation and character recognition. It's got a great dictionary and lots of pre-selected word lists in useful themes like by frequency of use, or topic. Learning new words becomes almost addictive with this app.
It does crash sometimes when you move words around to different lists, but I haven't lost any words or lists yet. A little annoying, but not a big problem.
Great app for self-paced learning
This app trains you on listening, reading, writing, and meaning. I use it during my bus commute and in the past year have learned 200 characters. I really enjoy seeing my progress. The only thing that I don’t like is that they don’t offer the option to buy bulk cards (that you can keep forever) any longer. Instead, you have to purchase a time-based subscription. Still, I think it’s worth the money.
Definitely the best
This app is wonderful! It has everything I need! Thank you very much for such an elegant way of showing how to write the character correctly. The dictionary has even more than I thought I needed and that is really great!
But one thing I will keep the 5th star is the icon. Dear developers, your vocabulary is the best for ios, so why does the icon look look it is just a common app with nothing special? Thank you for your work again.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Education
- Updated: Apr 02, 2014
- Version: 8.2
- Size: 45.6 MB
- Languages: English, Russian, Spanish
- Seller: Molatra Limited
- © 2012 Molatra Limited
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- 3 months + 10 lists$15.99
- 3 months$11.99
- 6 months + 10 lists$23.99
- 12 months + 10 lists$37.99
- 12 months + 60 lists$54.99
- 3 months + 30 lists$25.99
- 12 months$34.99
- 6 months$19.99
- 10 lists$8.99
- 12 months + 30 lists$45.99