Learn Chinese with an amazing dictionary (plus OCR) and flash card system.
trainchinese will teach you Chinese, with a free and complete dictionary, thousands of vocab lists, example sentences, audio recordings, measure words, character animations and Optical Character Recognition — not to mention a powerful flash card training system that even includes handwriting training!
• Our dictionary prioritises commonly-used words and phrases above the obscure and obsolete, while example sentences and measure words (classifiers) provide crucial context to help you decide which Chinese word is the most appropriate translation. Other dictionaries just leave you guessing!
• We've got Optical Character Recognition (OCR) too. Spotted some Chinese you can't read? Capture a photo of some Chinese text from a menu, book or sign, and the app identifies and translates the characters for you.
• Search for words by part of speech - simply type the abbreviated type followed by a period (.). For example, "ma n." gets you "ma" words that are nouns.
• Mistyped a word? Helpful spelling suggestions get you to the right results fast.
• Words feature both example sentences and measure words for nouns. It's time to move beyond "个"! And best of all it's all connected: tap examples and measure words to open them as full dictionary entries.
• trainchinese is great for students: it includes more than a thousand vocabulary lists covering topics from International Relations to American Football Teams and more. Feel like something's missing? Users often get in touch to ask for lists on the topics they're studying, and we're happy to oblige! You'll also find lists containing HSK-level words (both old and new standards), plus TOCFL lists for students in Taiwan!
• Highlight words with your finger for super-fast access to character animations, related searches and more!
• Whether you're studying the Simplified (mainland China and Singapore) or Traditional (Hong Kong and Taiwan) variants, we've got you covered! Easily switch between them or choose to display both in dictionary results and on flash cards. Even better, you can use the phonetics you're comfortable with - choose from Pinyin with tone marks, Pinyin with tone numbers or even Zhuyin characters (from the BoPoMoFo system used in Taiwan).
• Create flash cards with audio and animation from dictionary entries. Organise them into lists, and share them with friends (or students).
• Our Spaced Repetition system ensures you'll memorize words for good.
• Train your way: each card is available in four different modes to test different aspects of Chinese study. See Chinese, Pinyin or English and get tested on translation, and even compare your handwriting to a stroke-order animation side-by-side, synchronized! Or if you prefer, there's multiple choice training too (for a real challenge, try it in "Dictation" mode!).
• Flash cards are saved on your device and synchronized with trainchinese.com, where you can also train with them and find more great content.
• Add study notes to your flash cards - they're saved and backed up at trainchinese.com.
Don't forget to check out our other apps (tap our company name in iTunes for more info):
- Chinese Writer
- Chinese Audio Trainer
- My Chinese Library (phrase books)
- Pinyin Trainer
- Number Trainer
We've improved how searches work, so that you'll get better results for things like "jiaoshi". Thank you for your feedback, which continues to help us improve the app!
Ratings and Reviews
Praise and Feedback
Excellent design. TC has helped me reach my first goal of memorizing the stroke order for 500 basic Chinese words. The inability, however, to change the tone colors is the only drawback. I.e. Before learning with this app, I had already matched the 2nd tone to yellow in my brain. Other than this issue, TC is one of the best apps available for learners of Chinese.
The last upgrade feels like a downgrade. The app used to look a lot better. I feel it lost its personality with this new UI. Also there are now ads on every character’s card. I wish I hadn’t updated to the latest version 😞 I always used this app because it had a better look than pleco, but now it’s equally plain. Is there a way to downgrade?
Developer Response ,
Hi there, thanks for your review. I'm sorry that you feel this way about the design change to the word details screen. We had to reimplement that screen to add the character decompositions and other features (did you know you can now swipe through entries in a list by sliding the details screen left and right?).
Is it the green background that you miss? Or is the white too bright? We've added a "night mode" which you can find next to the Back button on that screen — does that help?
We did indeed add an ad to that screen also, below the main content, to support our income. I hope it's not so intrusive. And don't forget, trainchinese subscriptions start at a few dollars a month and subscribers see no ads at all.
Thanks for using trainchinese!
Excellent learning aid
I have tried a lot of apps in efforts to help me learn this frustratingly difficult but beautifully amazing language. This has been the best by far. It helps with the tones, character recognition and even writing. It works well in conjunction with its other apps like the Chinese writing app, and the pre existing lists for a variety of standard textbooks is a huge plus. I am now able to study Chinese everywhere, especially on my iPhone and iPad in those moments of downtime you have during the day. The functionality can be slow and clunky sometimes, there must be a better, faster way to filter out flash cards from the master list for example, but if you read the directions carefully there is usually a way to do what you want and if not there is always the ubiquitous klaus who answers and responds to all of your questions 24/7 with an amazing turnaround time. Does Klaus ever sleep? Who is Klaus? Is there more than 1 Klaus? I am still an amazingly slow learner of chinese but the better I get the more I appreciate this app. The first thing I do each week is download my vocab list, practice writing with the writing app and work on character recognition before I go to bed. It's part of my daily routine!
- trainchinese B.V.
- 192.7 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 trainchinese B.V
- In-App Purchases
- 3 months + 10 lists $15.99
- 3 months $11.99
- 6 months + 10 lists $23.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.