By Jaroslaw Foksa
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Type Fu is an app that will teach you how to type fast. The right way. On your Mac.
****** TYPE FU FEATURES ******
• UNIVERSAL. The app is suitable for all age groups and skill levels. You can be a beginner, intermediate or advanced typist. Even if you took typing classes before, but it never sank in, Type Fu will help you refresh your skills and take them to the next stage instantly.
• PACKED WITH ENGAGING EXERCISES. Type Fu is fun to use! Lessons vary from simple letters, numbers and words to proverbs and quotes of great thinkers of the past. Basic lessons (letters, numbers, words) are generated programatically so that you will never see the same exercise twice.
• MULTIPLE LEVELS OF DIFFICULTY. Should you start from the very beginning, or do you want to just polish your type-fu a tad? Figure out your initial skill level and start practicing right away, until your fingers are a blur!
• MULTIPLE KEYBOARD LAYOUTS. English language users can choose between following layouts: Qwerty, Dvorak, Colemak, Workman, Norman, Qwertz, Azerty. German language users can choose between: German Qwertz and Swiss Qwertz layouts.
• ADAPTIVE. Type Fu is smart: when you are making an outstanding progress, it can automatically increase the level of difficulty to keep you on your toes while improving the skill.
• VISUAL AND AUDIO HINTS. Type Fu assists in a non-obtrusive way. Various indications of hitting or missing the right keys are helpful, pertinent, don't get in the way and can be disabled.
• EASY PROGRESS TRACKING. Type Fu helps you perfecting the skill of touch typing by visualizing your progress. You will be able to easily tell from the pretty charts exactly how much better your typing speed and accuracy become, and which keys your miss most.
• FULLY INTEGRATED WITH YOUR MAC. Get the top-notch user experience offered by Mac computers. Type Fu supports Retina displays, process sandboxing, automatic updates via Mac App Store and full-screen mode.
• PAY ONCE, USE ANYTIME AND ANYWHERE. The app does not require recurring payments and constant network connection unlike online typing tutors. Once you pay for it, it's yours forever. Educational instituations and companies can buy multiple licenses with 50% discount via the Apple Volume Purchase Program.
What's New in Version 3.6.5
- Use 'ss' instead of "ß" when Swiss Qwerty layout is selected
Definitely The Best Typing Tutor
I’d love the ability to change the length of each exercise to build endurance, at least for word lessons. And a lesson that pulls from a live news feed would be fun too since multi-tasking is always more fun. 😃 Plus there’s no punctution level. Other than that I love this app! The statistics keep track of my speed and accuracy progress nicely, and I think just about every keyboard is compatible.
Best typing app out there, hands down.
My only request to the developer is to implement an additional lesson for special characters. It has typing for numbers, which is great. However I am a computer science major and I do alot of programming which uses the special characters to the right and top row. So commas, brackets, +, =, (, ), *, &, %, !, <, > are frequently used and would make this the perfect app, for me.
It also has lots of data so you know what your weak keys are, allowing you to target focus to improve your weakest point.
For Beginners Only
The app is really designed for beginners as there is no practice for symbols or most non alphanumeric keys. To really touch type, you need to learn those keys too and the app is incomplete from that point of view.