Typography Insight is a toolkit for learning & teaching typography, designed for those who love type. You can learn about historically important typefaces, observe and compare them. Now you can access system fonts and thousands of fonts from Adobe Typekit with Adobe ID.
● Fast Company - "It's more like an exquisite museum exhibit than a musty textbook." “Anyone who loves books, words, history, or fine art — even in the slightest bit — will find Typography Insight as intoxicating as Wikipedia and as fun as a video game.”
● The Atlantic - "Learning the subtleties of Helvetica and Garamond used to be a pain—but a sleek new app has made the process easier" "Typography Insight: iPad App Teaches Fonts Like Never Before"
● Gizmodo - "Typography Insight is sort of like an iPad typeface encyclopedia. Only encyclopedias are boring, and Typography Insight is beautiful and fun." "Typography Insight Makes Learning Fonts Gorgeous and Easy"
“Turned on by serifs and stems? Then you’ll love Typography Insight. Very slick, very informative.”
“This is like taking a beautiful coffee-table book and making it interactive.”
“First reason I've wanted iPad. If you are a type nerd, this is yours”
● Juxtaposing Comparison: Understand the detail differences between the typefaces with side by side comparison
● Overlaying Comparison: Compare two typefaces by overlaying on top of each other
● Type inspector: Observe the detail shapes of typefaces such as serif, counter, and ear in very large scale, with pinch and pan gesture
● Basics: Learn about the basics of typography and simple tips for making a readable page
● Typeface Anatomy: Learn about the elements and terminologies of typefaces
● Historical typefaces: Understand different characteristics of historically important typefaces
● Adobe Typekit font library support: Access thousands of fonts from Adobe Typekit by signing-in with Adobe ID
● System font library support: Observe and compare all iOS system fonts
● Kerning: Train your eyes for balanced letter space
● Measurement: Learn about type size measurement
● Type Setting: Learn about basic elements of typesetting
● Ascender/Descender Comparison: Compare ascender of descender area of typefaces
- Completely updated and optimized for iPad Pro series!
- Interact with beautiful typefaces on iPad Pro's large screen.
- Now you can observe and compare all system fonts.
- Redesigned Type Anatomy section.
- Added support for color options in Type Inspector.
Ratings and Reviews
This is a great application for those who are interested in the study of Typography. The app title is a perfect description as you can gain insight into the study of Typography with a learning basics section, a section on the main examples of fonts and styles used in our everyday life, and even learn directly with practice activities contained inside. The design itself is a compliment to the application as you can easily navigate the clear white interface that allows you to hone in on the visuals presented without any external visual noise getting in your way. The app wouldn't be as effective with bad design and it also would be somewhat ironic if it had.
As an aspiring typographer myself, I find this app extremely useful. Not only does it have references, complete access to Adobe Typekit, and 3 categories of information, but there are practice activities where you can get better at kerning, measuring, comparing, etc. I would highly recommend this to anybody interested in Typography.
I would not say that this is an instructional app, but rather a “cliffs notes” accessory that is EXTREMELY handy to have on-hand at all times. Very well done and well designed. All killer, no filler.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.