By Ultralingua, Inc.
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Nineteen dictionaries to choose from, including Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, and more!
• Featured as "New and Noteworthy" by Apple for 8 weeks!
Translation dictionary with every word you need • Verb conjugations • Flashcards • Numbers • No internet connection required
"A very Mac-like, easy-to-use dictionary that’s perfect for the struggling language student."
"...after using it for a few days, I can attest that this really is a powerful and comprehensive language reference – and I highly recommend it."
“Literally all words I tried (from the most important to uncommon verbs) were in the dictionary. For someone learning a language, Ultralingua’s offerings can prove to be invaluable.”
Pick YOUR dictionary!
1. Purchase this application from the Mac App Store
2. On first launch, choose one of our Ultralingua translation dictionaries to unlock
3. If you want another dictionary, purchase it in the in-app store
We've specialized in translation dictionaries for the Mac for 15 years - Ultralingua is the most trusted source for language reference among students, travelers, translators, and teachers.
You get ALL OF THIS no matter which dictionary you pick:
• Hundreds of thousands of translations: every word you could possibly need
• Noun genders and parts of speech
• Slang, technical language, and regional differences in spelling and usage
• Hundreds of usage notes about troublesome constructions
• Smart search results in case you misspell or mistype
• Search-as-you-go displays words and narrows your selection as you type
• Only Ultralingua apps provide complete verb conjugations with every dictionary
• Includes all standard tenses and forms
• Smart search finds infinitives, irregulars, and catches misspellings
• Add and edit custom flashcards and group them by topic
• Allow the creation tool to auto-fill the translation for you, or add your own
• Drag and drop flashcards into any order
• Choose from 8 colors to sort your cards
• When you are ready to flip through your deck, choose how many flashcards you see, what order they appear in, and which side you view first
• Use 'auto-advance' to quiz yourself at different speeds
• Store flashcards for all of your dictionaries as long as you need them
• Translate numerals into text with the number tool
• No internet connection required
• Reference guide with answers to common writing and grammar questions
• Change your device settings to view the app display in English, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, or German
Choose from any of the following dictionaries:
Want more than one dictionary? No problem. After selecting your first dictionary, you can unlock others in the in-app store!
*** Please note: If you are familiar with the version of Ultralingua sold from our website, you'll notice some minor differences in this version. In order to make the app available here, we had to remove two features that didn't meet Apple's guidelines:
• The hotkey keyboard shortcut
• The dashboard widget
For teaching graduate students to access French journal articles in their research, I have found no better resource than Ultralingua. The program is accurate, fast, intuitive, and affordable. Students who have tried other print or software French resources, inevitably come to agree that Ultralingua is unsurpassed in design and usability.
Robert L. Plummer, Ph.D.
What's New in Version 7.3.2
Mountain Lion compatibility! And...
• The search box will now be automatically selected when you launch the app. Just open Ultralingua and start typing to search.
• Added a button next to the language drop-down to make swapping between search directions easier.
• VoiceOver labels were added to a few buttons that were missing them.
Italian/English app is weak
I have Ultralingua English/Italian on my Iphone and Pad. They're way better than this. They provide phonetic transcriptions for Italian words, this doesn't. Their entries are far more robust, more like a real dictionary, with usage and grammatical information.
As an example, on this app, the entry for the Italian verb "fare" which has a gazillion meanings looks like this:
1. do v. 2. execute v. 3. have v. 4. make v.
I needed something for my laptop, for writing offline and thought the $20 was an ok price. Now I'm thinking it was a waste.
On the good side, the interface is clean. Verb conjugations at hand are nice too. The imperative tense however is incorrect I believe. It looks like the subjunctive.
Good, but not worth $40!
This is a decent (portuguese) dictionary, but I could be a full language suite for this price. $40 is especially much when you consider the online resources that do the dame thing. One thing in particular that annoys me more than anything is that if you look up a word while the conjugate menu is up and then realize you need the definition, you have to start the search over again because they apparently to talk to each other...
Its just ok.
I find myself having to go quite often to other sources to find definitions to the words I’m looking for. I would describe it as adequate but noticably incomplete. The dictionary I’m using is German-English.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Jul 17, 2012
- Version: 7.3.2
- Size: 5.2 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
- Seller: Ultralingua, Inc.
- © Ultralingua, Inc. 2012
Compatibility: OS X 10.7 or later, 64-bit processor
Top In-App Purchases
- French-English Dictionary$19.99
- German-English Dictionary$19.99
- Italian-English Dictionary$19.99
- Spanish-English Dictionary$19.99
- Latin-English Dictionary$19.99
- Vox Comprehensive Spanish Dictionary$24.99
- Portuguese-English Dictionary$19.99
- Norwegian-English Dictionary$14.99
- Vox Spanish-English Medical$24.99
- Esperanto-English Dictionary$14.99