Over 185,000 definitions and 17,000 synonyms • Conjugates thousands of French verbs • Hundreds of usage notes and examples • No internet connection required
"For serious language students and translators who are looking for more precision." - The New York Times
Featured by Apple as "What's Hot"
Ultralingua makes apps for people who love languages. You can count on our French dictionary and thesaurus to provide all the content you need, along with extra features that help you get the most out of the dictionary. Use our verb conjugation tool to find complete conjugations of thousands of verbs in all standard forms, and the thesaurus to find synonyms and antonyms when you need them with no internet connection required.
• Over 85,000 entries with 185,000 definitions
• Over 85,000 synonyms
• Tap-and-hold any word or phrase and choose "Speak" from the popup menu to hear that word spoken using Apple's built-in text-to-speech feature.
• Thousands of biographic and geographic entries, as well as etymologies (root word histories)
• Slang, technical language, and regional differences in spelling and usage
• Hundreds of usage notes about troublesome constructions
• Smart search results in case you misspell or mistype
• Search-as-you-go displays words and narrows your selection as you type
• Conjugations for thousands of French verbs
• Includes all standard tenses and forms
• Smart search finds infinitives and catches misspellings
• Must-have reference tool for any student or language professional
• On iPhone/iPod touch, conjugate a verb from the dictionary results by tapping it
• Translate numerals into French text with the number tool
• Tap the history button to view the 50 most recent dictionary definitions, verb conjugations, and more in one place. Sort the list alphabetically or by date, and choose to clear the list completely or delete one entry at a time.
• No internet connection required
• Change your device settings to view the app display in English, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, or German
"Excellent Reference - A French language dictionary is a great complement to a Fr-Eng/Eng-Fr dictionary for students of French, and I highly recommend this one. The conjugator is handy for when you forget how to form a particular tense." -User review
"Not only is it easy to use but it contains so much information and it is well organized, explained and easy to read." -User review
View our reviews below to see why users love this app, and remember to let us know what you think!
Are you learning French? A monolingual French dictionary is a must-have tool for any French language learner. This app includes conjugations of thousands of French verbs in all standard forms. The all-French data also helps immerse students in the language, which is shown to increase proficiency and retention.
This universal app will run on iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch, so you can purchase it once and load it onto all your devices. The iPad and iPhone/iPod touch versions look and behave differently to give you a great experience on every device you own. The interface will change, but you’ll always have the same outstanding language data and tools inside.
This is a monolingual French dictionary. Many bilingual dictionaries are also available from Ultralingua, including combinations of French, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, German, and more. See what else we have to offer by searching for Ultralingua in the App Store.
Follow us on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook for app news, language learning tips, and more:
• Updated for iOS 11 and iPhone X
• Data improvements
• Small bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Ce dictionaire c'est parfait étudier le français.
if you want to find a dictionary that will help you find what you need, then look no further. This all French dictionary works well when you find yourself in a hard situation when you don't know what to say.
In search mode it has live updating of your search. And the conjugator is very useful. And numeric key pad is a fantastic addition to this app. It shows numbers in digits and shows the user how the numbers are in written form. This is a great app. It deserves . It is a must have for your BUY IT!!! There will be no regrets.
And alike all the Ultralingua Inc. Apps, this one is magnificent. Just like the rest. Great job!!
Very good, broad range of definitions. My favorite feature: dictionary (i.e. one can touch any word within a definition and look that one up too--without having to type it in.). Also, addressing something i've read others writing about:
the 'x' to clear the entry is no smaller than any other Apple-made app. i've found it best to touch a little to the left of center on the 'x'.
the back button *would* be a nice feature addition (a little like the back button in itunes).
the price is definitely worth it for the quality of the app.
Good but missing a major feature
This application has some useful features with its conjugations, numbers, and thesaurus, but it doesn't permit you to browse through the list of words like any other regular dictionary. You must search for a word, and, if an entry is not found, it may provide a suggestion, but that suggestion may not be the proper word. For example, if you misspell the word 'plustard' as 'plutard', the app offers 'plumard' as a possible match. If you could simply scroll through the list of words, you might have some chance of finding the word even if you have misspelled it.
- Ultralingua, Inc.
- 21.3 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Ultralingua, Inc. 2018
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.