By The Soulmen GbR
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
++ Apple Design Award Winner 2016 ++ Best of App Store 2015 ++ Best of App Store 2013 ++
“The app is amazing. An absolute delight to use. Well done.” – David Hewson, Bestselling Author
“It’s hard to imagine a better experience on any platform.” – Macworld
“An excellent value for anyone who wants to become a better, more efficient writer.” – The Sweet Setup
### WRITE. ANYTHING. ANYWHERE. ###
Ulysses is your one-stop writing environment on OS X. Whether you’re a novelist, a journalist, a student or a blogger – if you love to write and write a lot, Ulysses gives you a uniquely streamlined toolset, covering every phase of the writing process:
- A powerful, yet simple text editor.
- A familiar, no-nonsense text library.
- A comprehensive and truly flexible multi-format export.
Of course, the heart and soul of a writing app is its editor. And Ulysses is said to have the best text editor in the world. It offers everything you need – from markup to images and footnotes, from links to comments and code –, and it still manages to stay completely out of the way. It’s a beautiful and focused experience, which turns the every-day chore of writing into *actual fun*.
But since Ulysses takes writing seriously, it does not stop at the editor. Its unified library offers unprecedented access to everything you’ll ever write, be it snippets and ideas, be it blog posts or manuscripts. Every text is at your fingertips, and Ulysses perfectly scales from scratchpad to diary to Great American Novels – and to everything in-between.
Best of all, Ulysses offers fully-fledged, no-holds-barred, all-out iCloud sync. Ulysses is available for all your devices, be it Mac, iPad or iPhone, and every device has access to everything and anything you’ll ever write. Synchronization is simple, seamless and automatic. It neither requires third-party apps, nor any kind of interaction. If you got iCloud, you got sync.
And once you’re finished, Ulysses transforms your texts into beautiful PDFs, web pages, ebooks and Word documents. You can copy as HTML, save as Markdown, and even publish to your WordPress and Medium accounts. Export is as easy as selecting a format, choosing a style, and picking a destination. Yes, 1-2-3.
### FEATURES ###
Focus & Productivity
- Clean, distraction free interface
- Markup-based text editor
- Typewriter mode
- Minimal mode
- Writing goals (characters, words, pages etc.)
- Comprehensive text statistics
- Split View support
- Full keyboard navigation
- Fully accessible using VoiceOver
Write & Edit
- Simple markup for headlines, lists, comments, quotes, important passages and more
- Easy insertion of links, annotations and footnotes
- Drag’n’drop placement of images
- Keywords, notes and image attachments
- Smart Copy & Paste
- Search & Replace
- Spell check, grammar check, auto correction & dictionary
- Dictation & Speech support
File & Organize
- A single library for all your texts
- Touch ID / password protection
- Groups, filters, favorites, bookmarks
- Glueing, Split & Merge
- Sorting by date, by title or manually
- Import of DOCX, Markdown and text files
- Editing of text files from external folders
- Global search, Spotlight integration
- Automatic versioning
- Automatic, scheduled backups
Export & Publishing
- Export as PDF, DOCX, RTF, TXT, Markdown, HTML and ePub
- Publish to WordPress and Medium
OS X & iOS
- Available for Mac, iPad and iPhone
- Full iCloud synchronization
and so much more…
### SUPPORT ###
Please visit ulyssesapp.com for more information. You can also reach us via email@example.com or on Twitter @ulyssesapp – we’re happily awaiting your feedback!
What's New in Version 2.8.1
This update fixes a few minor and not so minor issues that appeared in the previous version. Thank you all for your feedback, and please keep it coming!
Changes from Ulysses 2.8:
The Touch ID update – hide your texts from prying eyes and unlock Ulysses with your fingerprint. Plus: New filter options, more icons, and fixes, fixes, fixes.
- Added application lock using Touch ID or password
- Added keyword and text negation to filters
- Added new group icons
- Added new X-Callback-URL actions (e.g. “set-group-title” or “read-sheet”)
- Added VoiceOver support to Touch Bar controls
- Fixed an issue with font weights when zooming in editor
- Fixed dragging groups below the last group
- Removed unnecessary characters and tags when importing ENEX files
- Fixed a connectivity issue when publishing to WordPress on OS X 10.11
- Fixed rendering of superscript text when exporting to PDF on OS X 10.11
- Fixed crash when editing footnotes in torn-off panels
- Fixed crash when reopening Ulysses after Mac was sleeping
- Fixed crash when closing Export Preview
- Fixed crash when starting search in the sheet list
- Fixed crash when importing corrupted lists in ENEX files
- Fixed crash when undoing input
- Fixed crash when editing links or footnotes using Chinese input sources
- Fixed crash when spell-checking very large sheets
- Fixed crash when adding footnotes using the Touch Bar
If you’re happy with the app, please rate it, or even leave a review. This is the best way you can support us indie developers. Thanks a lot!
Just what I’ve been looking for….
You’d think getting a hold of a simple, efficient writing app would be easy — I mean, really easy. But, no. Over the years I’ve tried a huge number of different software packages for writing, and never found one that felt ‘right’. Until now. Ulysses III is intuitive (more or less) and does exactly what I need it to do. No more, no less. In other words, its one of those rare instances where I download software and it feels like it was custom coded for me!
Yes, you can write with Pages, BBEdit, Sublime Text, Word and many, many more alternatives to Ulysses. However, I find I write more easily and with better focus using Ulysses. In which case, I consider this app well worth the money.
Edit: The latest version incorporates password and Touch ID protection. The best just got even better.
A real productivity tool: minimalist, but flexible and deep
Kudos to the team for producing a tool that gets out of the way when you want it to and, even when you want to tinker, keeps the interface clean and easily navigated. With a bit of planning and careful curation, it’s possible to make great use of the combined folder hierarchy, keyword, and filter organizational options. It’s hard to imagine a project that you couldn’t fit into its scheme.
This may seem heretical for a distraction-free writing tool, but a decent workflow has Ulysses on one half of the split screen and the export on the other: the live updating makes it a good way to split the difference between low distraction and instant feedback. YMMV.
My favorite application
Ulysses is the most well-designed, well-constructed, best working application I believe I have ever used. Certainly it is the best writing tool. To get the most out of it, I have had to put some time into customizing a few components, but unlike so many applications, it doesn’t tempt you into constantly tweaking things, so you spend more time messing with the app than using it. It is as pure an expression of the Mac ethos as any software out there. Brilliant.