By Ulysses GmbH & Co. KG
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
++ Apple Design Award Winner 2016 ++ Best of App Store 2015 ++ Best of App Store 2013 ++
“The app is amazing. An absolute delight to use. Well done.” – David Hewson, Bestselling Author
“It’s hard to imagine a better experience on any platform.” – Macworld
“An excellent value for anyone who wants to become a better, more efficient writer.” – The Sweet Setup
### WRITE. ANYTHING. ANYWHERE. ###
Ulysses is your one-stop writing environment on OS X. Whether you’re a novelist, a journalist, a student or a blogger – if you love to write and write a lot, Ulysses gives you a uniquely streamlined toolset, covering every phase of the writing process:
- A powerful, yet simple text editor.
- A familiar, no-nonsense text library.
- A comprehensive and truly flexible multi-format export.
Of course, the heart and soul of a writing app is its editor. And Ulysses is said to have the best text editor in the world. It offers everything you need – from markup to images and footnotes, from links to comments and code –, and it still manages to stay completely out of the way. It’s a beautiful and focused experience, which turns the every-day chore of writing into *actual fun*.
But since Ulysses takes writing seriously, it does not stop at the editor. Its unified library offers unprecedented access to everything you’ll ever write, be it snippets and ideas, be it blog posts or manuscripts. Every text is at your fingertips, and Ulysses perfectly scales from scratchpad to diary to Great American Novels – and to everything in-between.
Best of all, Ulysses offers fully-fledged, no-holds-barred, all-out iCloud sync. Ulysses is available for all your devices, be it Mac, iPad or iPhone, and every device has access to everything and anything you’ll ever write. Synchronization is simple, seamless and automatic. It neither requires third-party apps, nor any kind of interaction. If you got iCloud, you got sync.
And once you’re finished, Ulysses transforms your texts into beautiful PDFs, web pages, ebooks and Word documents. You can copy as HTML, save as Markdown, and even publish to your WordPress and Medium accounts. Export is as easy as selecting a format, choosing a style, and picking a destination. Yes, 1-2-3.
### FEATURES ###
Focus & Productivity
- Clean, distraction free interface
- Markup-based text editor
- Typewriter mode
- Minimal mode
- Writing goals (characters, words, pages etc.)
- Comprehensive text statistics
- Split View support
- Full keyboard navigation
- Fully accessible using VoiceOver
Write & Edit
- Simple markup for headlines, lists, comments, quotes, important passages and more
- Easy insertion of links, annotations and footnotes
- Drag’n’drop placement of images
- Keywords, notes and image attachments
- Smart Copy & Paste
- Search & Replace
- Spell check, grammar check, auto correction & dictionary
- Dictation & Speech support
File & Organize
- A single library for all your texts
- Touch ID / password protection
- Groups, filters, favorites, bookmarks
- Glueing, Split & Merge
- Sorting by date, by title or manually
- Import of DOCX, Markdown and text files
- Editing of text files from external folders
- Global search, Spotlight integration
- Automatic versioning
- Automatic, scheduled backups
Export & Publishing
- Export as PDF, DOCX, RTF, TXT, Markdown, HTML and ePub
- Publish to WordPress and Medium
OS X & iOS
- Available for Mac, iPad and iPhone
- Full iCloud synchronization
and so much more…
### SUPPORT ###
Please visit ulyssesapp.com for more information. You can also reach us via email@example.com or on Twitter @ulyssesapp – we’re happily awaiting your feedback!
What's New in Version 2.8.2
We’ve taken the time to dive into some of the more complex issues and are happy to report stability improvements throughout the app. Happy writing!
- Re-added missing WordPress group icon.
- Fixed scrolling of Export Preview in Split View.
- Fixed password locking of tabbed and hidden windows.
- Fixed a number of crashes (thanks for your reports!).
If you’re happy with the app, please rate it, or even leave a review. This is the best way you can support us indie developers. Thanks a lot!
Hangs on opening a text file, requires https, unresponsive support
I read a lot of good reviews and the app does have some great features, but three major things inhibit the usability of Ulysses for me:
1) There is one text document I most need Ulysses to work with and it's extremely slow to work with. The iOS app version delays about 2 to 3 seconds after every key press before showing the letter! It's a bit slow to work with on the desktop as well, but nowhere near as bad. I don't have this issue with other files.
2) I purchased this largely because of the Wordpress publishing feature, but Ulysses requires your site have a signed certificate (http**s**). I didn't see this anywhere in the documentation as I was researching the app and was quite disappointed to find out.
3) This is the biggest contributor to the 3-star rating: I contacted Ulysses support team two weeks ago about both of these and have yet to hear back :/
So on the whole, the app has a lot of good features (perhaps a bit expensive for a basic text editing application with good Markdown support) but it's falling short of the mark for me. Hope this helps someone else looking into Ulysses for their needs.
Love this app!
I use Ulysses for both academic writing and blog posts. It’s perfect for use across my iPhone, iPad, and Mac. When I’m finished writing an academic paper, I export from Ulysses to MS Word for final APA formatting before submission; I could use Word on all of my devices, but it’s a terrible writing environment, always getting in the way. Ulysses is simple, uncluttered, and perfect for the job of writing, and I use other tools for formatting and publishing; write first — just write — edit and publish later. I’ve found this to be an outstanding system for productivity.
The Best Writing App for Writers
I use Ulysses for creative writing and sometimes essay writing. Whenever I export to the preset styles, my documents look beautiful, and I was able to get a hang of the coding for redoing styles, which is great for manuscripts. My only gripe is that I’d like to be able to make header titles in the styles. Overall, I think this is an amazing app, simple as you need it to be with a lot going on under the hood.