By Jose Duenas
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
uMagic for the iPad is finally here! uMagicHD is the ideal Magic: the Gathering reference app for both beginners and pros. It's perfect for quickly looking up cards, rulings, and live prices.
* iOS 7 Look and Feel -- built from the ground up to take advantage of iOS 7's new features and aesthetics
* High performance card look ups and unparalleled filtering capabilities. Multiple search layouts supported.
* Beautiful and useful card detail pages
* Up to date prices from TCG Player -- price your decks and look up card prices
* Play test your decks. Scrying supported!
* Deck stats available
* Collection Management
* Export to Dropbox or Email. Editable import format for easy collection management.
* Import of DEC files supported
* Live updates. No more having to wait for a new app version to get the latest sets!
* Full landscape and portrait support
* Quick look support
What's New in Version 1.0.2
* Fix issues with iOS 8
* Added Magic 2015 and Duel Decks: Speed vs. Cunning
Beautiful deck building and collection tracking app
The screenshots attracted me to this app. I love the way the artwork is displayed in the background and the layout is fantastic. The attention to detail is excellent. By far, this is best looking app of its kind I've come across. As for usability, I find it offers quite a lot though I would like to request three things:
1. As a beginning Magic player, there were some things I didn't understand and there is no guide to explain these things for you. Some simple help text that could be toggled on and off might be nice.
2. My biggest suggestion would be to include a filter option in the deck building section to only show cards in a particular collection. I'd like to easily look thought my existing collection to build a new deck rather than search the entire catalog of Magic cards.
3. It would be very nice if in the deck building section creature strength was indicated on the full list view in addition to the mana cost that is currently displayed. That way determining what to add or subtract from a deck would be a great deal easier.
Simple and elegant with room to improve
I enjoy working with uMagic. It's simple and elegant. I appreciate that Collections is an integrated part of the app, not an additional purchase. Building a deck from my own collection is a little bit cumbersome, though, requiring multiple operations to add more than one copy of a card. List views and sort options would be nice additions to the Collections. As would an offline card database and sharper card images. For what it is, I think it's at a good price, but I would gladly pay more for added features.
The app has a nice graphical design, but there are main times when it's slow to respond. At times the app takes between 7-14 seconds to switch between views and have the app start responding. For example, when adding cards to a deck from a collection this appears to happen every time. Click on a card and you'll wait 7-14 seconds, then it will switch to the detailed card view. Add the card to a deck. Go back to the collection, click on another card and wait 7-14 seconds. Makes it unusable.