By Eugene Krupnov
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Unclutter is a new handy place on your desktop for storing notes, files and pasteboard clips.
To open, simply move the pointer to the very top of screen and scroll down. Drag items from other applications to the top of screen to store them in Unclutter.
- Instant, configurable access even in full screen mode
- Full multi-display support
- File Storage, to keep your Desktop clean from temporary files
- Notes, to write down something quickly
- Clipboard manager, to track what you copy and paste, browse clipboard history
- Draggable cards that can stick on top of other windows
- Files and notes auto-sync across all your Macs via Dropbox.
- Retina display support
What's New in Version 2.0
- Finally, a completely new, light design, matching the new OS style.
- Create as many separate notes as you need. Organize your notes better, without creating clutter.
- Arrange items in Files panel more flexibly. Sort them by date added, date modified, name or kind.
- Drop files inside folders in Files panel, without having to open them first.
- Search contents of Notes and Files panels.
- Full support of multi-display setup.
- Lots of tweaks, performance optimizations and bug fixes.
Excellent design with one notable flaw
This is a really solid app with the kind of clean, simple design that I look for in this type of small utility. The mechanism of moving the pointer to the very top of the screen and scrolling down is unique, memorable, and simple enough that it’s far more usable than memorizing yet another esoteric key-combo. There are a couple small changes I would make to the interface: 1) there should be a way to open settings from within the window, and 2) you should be able to control how files are displayed in the window (mainly, I don’t need them so large).
But those UI touches are minor. The one thing I’m really not comfortable with in this app is the fact that the files you store in it are buried 10 folders deep in the file system. This should REALLY be a folder within my Documents directory — or at worst within ~/Library/Application Support. It appears the programmer tried to do this and failed, as it’s in a different folder, but within that there are needless "Library/Application Support” subdirectories.
Clea up the file location issue and this is a five-star app for me. I don’t even use the Clipboard features, and this is still a very useful app, and well worth the price.
Even more amazing than before!
I stopped using this app a while ago for some reason that I can’t remember. (I think that there was some minor big that I couldn’t get past.) But I just rediscovered it, and I’m thrilled that I did! The developer has clearly put a lot of work into bringing the app up to speed from both design and functionality standpoints. I once again have a spotless desktop thanks to the file storage capability of Unclutter. The option to create multiple notes is a welcome addition as well. And the Yosemite-themed skin looks phenomenal! I also really appreciate the privacy feature of the clipboard tool (certainly don’t want my 1Password content showing up there). This app really needs more attention. It’s by far one of the best apps on the Mac App store and truly adds some necessary functionality to OS X.
Here goes one of my favorite tools
Within a day of writing this review I was contacted by the developer of the app saying that he/she will be fixing it soon.
So I guess it is safe to say that the developer is actually good at his/her job and single star review is not really a fair thing to do. bumping it up to 4 stars for now.
Hope this app soon becomes fantastic again and I can give it a 5 star rating.
update: no, cant tolerate it anymore. I give up. burned my 5$. this UI is just too bad. For some reason was expecting better from a developer that makes a fantastic tool, would atleat give me an option to use a darker UI. but whatever, people I guess care a lot more about ’trends’ rather than real user. Moving down to 1 star.
Loved this tool, now it also has a ligh background without the option to change it to a darker background. Give me an option for a darker background or classic theme.
Otherwise an awesome tool.