Real time subway times for New York City. Check subway times before you enter the subway by tapping on the subway stop on the officially licensed MTA subway map. All subway lines are available! Also easily find out service statuses affecting lines. This app is optimized for speed and clarity on the go, we keep out extras that might slow down checking real-time arrivals! Our servers are located in New York City for faster load times.
Offline experience: the map is always available. And the app remembers what it loaded from the server. Helpful for long subway rides.
What do others say about Underway?
- Makespace: "Let’s face it: Google Maps can only get you so far. … Made specifically with busy New Yorkers in mind, it’s an all-in-one commute compendium."
- Brokelyn: "In addition to the MTA’s online Subway Times, which offers the current arrival times by line and station and is accessible from the internet even beyond the subway’s hallowed platforms, Underway NYC now offers the same information but in app form and plotted to a subway map."
- Viewing.NYC: "a new iOS App that removes all the extra features and bloat of the transit apps and simply shows you how many minutes it is until the next train at your station."
- "Enjoy having the app in the Daily Toolbox. Use it when calculating how long I can stay at the concluding applause of a Lincoln Center event and still get Line 1 to Times Square for Shuttle to GCT. Does come in handy. Continued success."
- "[I]t's perfect for night owls like me, who must often wait up to 15 minutes for the next train."
Underway is ad-supported. If you choose to purchase Underway Ad-Free to remove ads, payment will be charged to your iTunes account, and your account will be charged for renewal 24 hours prior to the end of the current period. Auto-renewal may be turned off at any time by going to your settings in the iTunes Store after purchase. Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable. The current price per month of Underway Ad-Free is 99 cents.
Officially licensed from the MTA.
Maps: © Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Used with permission.
Symbols: ® or TM as applicable. Used with permission of Metropolitan Transportation Authority.
This update contains the January 2019 version of the official MTA subway map, as well as a visual clarification and few minor bug fixes.
In this update, we changed the badge on the map page showing total Service Status situations MTA is reporting: we adjusted the badge color to gray, away from the red we have come to associate with pending tasks and general unpleasantness.
Jan 2019 MTA map changes are on A and C lines in Manhattan’s Inwood, with a bypassed station and new free transfers.
Wishing you a Happy New Year and fruitful 2019!
2.5.7 This update fixes a typo.
Ratings and Reviews
Essential subway app
This app is fantastic and has made my subway experience a lot better. It includes the official subway map, MTA service advisories, and subway arrival times in one clean, user friendly app. There are ads but they are minimal and hardly take away from the user experience.
Because of Underway, I no longer need to cram myself into a crowded A train if I see there’s another one coming in 2 minutes... or run to the station to catch the G train if I see it’s not coming for another 7 minutes...
I definitely recommend this app to anyone who rides the subway in NYC.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your kind words. Glad we could help make the subway easier to use!
It’s a good, clean app. Very straightforward and easy to use. However the biggest drawback is, it doesn’t contain some information or it goes blank. For example, it’s still missing the 7 train times even though the MTA subway time data has it and I was just using it for the F and there was no downtown information when it is available on the subway time. If this would get fixed, it would be one of my favorite apps.
Developer Response ,
Hey thanks for your concern! We've heard from the MTA about both of those issues (missing 7 train, and data not matching the MTA's Subway Time app), and the MTA is working on making both of those public. We present all public data feeds as published by the MTA, so unfortunately some errors get passed on to our users.
Thanks for your patience while we wait on the MTA!
Nice and clean app
Very straight forward app with a map, which includes long term updates; statuses; and arrival times (only some of which are real time).
It’s def the most user friendly nyc subway app I’ve come across, mostly because it’s free of clutter and pop up ads.
Just the kind of app I was looking for a long time.
- Dan Ramteke Consulting Inc
- 69.9 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019 Dan Ramteke Consulting Inc
- In-App Purchases
- Underway Ad-Free $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.