Unicode Pad Pro specific Features:
• Custom keyboards can be used in any other iOS app
• Import and use any custom font into the app
• Support for Unicode 11 standard, which has many new symbols.
• Huge selection of symbols (thousands), in fact all that are available on your device. Database itself actually contains data for all characters (over 136000!).
• Copy characters to clipboard for use in other apps, like web, mail, chat, notes... any iOS app!
• Detailed information on each Unicode character, including encodings, extra info, similar characters and availability in fonts
• Extensive gesture support for smooth workflow!
• Drag and drop support on iPad!
• Notepad with customizable keyboards, for your often-used characters and for copying several characters at once. Great for casual writing, too!
• Custom keyboards can be used in any iOS app
• Share your custom keyboards with your friends!
• Quick access to many groups of commonly used symbols!
• Search for characters by name, hexadecimal codepoint or glyph! Find similar and related characters instantly!
• Great support for iPad multitasking - works great together with other apps
• Streamlined design, specifically optimized for each device. Support for all device orientations and Retina display.
• Fully tested on latest iOS
• Support for Backspace, New line, Shift and Alternate special keys on custom keyboards.
• Custom keyboard sizes up to 6x16=96 keys.
• View extended character descriptions on Wikipedia, unicode.org charts or Emojipedia right from inside the app!
• Copy glyphs as PDF graphics or PNG images
• Sections of favourite and recently copied characters
• One universal application works on iPhone, iPod and iPad!
• Reference booklet of characters available on modern computers! Paper Unicode maps are over 1000 pages long!
• Developers: see which characters are available on your iOS device!
• Great for scientific, mathematical and physics notation, handles many superscripts, subscripts and other symbols!
• Excellent for phonetic notation!
• Perfect for writing Unicode poetry!
• Awesome for making interesting app names!
• HTML entity names for relevant characters
• UNIHAN english definitions for CJK ideograms for many characters
• Flick left and right for next and previous characters in detail view
Many new features!
• Tested on iOS 12
• Custom font support. Just open any font file in Unicode Pad Pro app and use it.
• More font sizes supported in catalogs, like tiny and huge.
• Now you can deselect font in detail view by tapping already checked font. One no longer has to go to the font menu to do this.
• Application shortcuts
• Bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
If it does what it says—HELP
This is an edited review, up from one star to 4. The implementation of the app is, let’s say, laconic. You pretty much have to figure it out UNLESS you discover (which I did in a promptly replied-to email to the developer) that “About Unicode Pro” at the very bottom left of what is functionally the home screen, is also where the documentation hides!!
That too is laconic but using it, if you have a clue about unicode at all (and if not, why are you buying this app?) you can do pretty wonderful things. I have to transliterate Middle Eastern Languages, and with Unicode Pro, some time and some patience, I am now able to enter all the characters I need (and more!) via a custom keyboard. Since I also use a hardware keyboard, this means I can have the transliteration keyboard open on the screen, and type normally until I need some weird character or other, and then, boom! Brilliant!
Five stars when the documentation is labeled “Help” or something similarly obvious. But an elegant little app, on the whole, and invaluable to me.
Developer Response ,
Done! The new version just released has a help button at the very top of the home screen. Hopefully this will make it more obvious. Thank you for your suggestions!
This is a great app, especially using the custom keyboard. It’s the only app I’ve found that does that.
There is a bit of a bug though, I have an iPhone X Max, and when I click on the globe icon to switch over to my custom keyboards, the positioning of the entire keyboard is offset to the right by about 10%. There are 7 columns of buttons on a custom keyboard, and when the app glitches and shifts to the right, the furthers column (#7) is no longer visible on the screen.
I’d love an update that resolved that. That’s really my only issue with the app, otherwise it’s amazing and really is a step above any other unicode app.
Oh, actually one more request regarding the custom keyboards... Is there a way you have a custom keyboard with a more natural button layout like a standard keyboard? I’d love to be able to have a custom keyboard in standard “qwerty” style!
Nothing better exists for unicode and custom keyboards
This is by far the best app for crating a custom keyboard that includes all the symbols you need, there is one minor thing that I would like to suggest which would make this app complete…
I want the ability to combine keys together to make a long spacebar instead of a spacebar that is just 5 keys in a row. The spacing between these keys hurts my eyes. That’s it! That’s all this app is missing!
Developer Response ,
Thanks! I will consider this for future versions!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.