Upweather brings you the freshest weather imagery available for North America, and lets you animate it at your own speed. Watch hurricanes roaring in off the ocean, or thunderstorms forming in the midwest. See how the shape of upper air features steers the weather we experience.
• Swipe backwards in time to see satellite photos, updated from orbit every half hour.
• Swipe forwards to see forecast images for a week into the future. Forecast shows upper air troughs and ridges along with clouds and predicted surface precipitation.
• Keep sliding back and forth over the time periods you are interested in: the animation gets better and better.
• Use a WiFi connection for best results.
• You can also use Upweather as a beautiful desk clock showing you the most recent satellite clouds for the area of your choice.
Updated for iOS 11, and for newer devices.
Ratings and Reviews
Great app for ocean satellite imagery
If you live on a coast it can be very useful to see weather patterns out on the ocean; you can see what’s coming hours or even days in advance. This one does a beautiful job with Pacific ocean satellite imagery, something most weather apps don’t provide. I also like scrubbing to produce a rapid animation that spans days and watching the clouds break over the Sierra and Rocky Mountain ranges. Very well done app.
This is a fantastic app. I’m so glad it’s back. I was very grumpy when it disappeared for a few weeks. My favorite weather app. Not for temps and detailed forecasts etc. but for a quick look ahead and getting a sense of what’s coming. It’s great to see the frontal systems lining up across the Pacific, seeing the ridges build and projecting it all forward.
Be your own forecast model
The power of bring able to 'scrub' satellite data at will is awesome. I feel like I can compete with computer models. You can just imagine what's going to happen next...
I'm sure this would be even more impressive as more data becomes available, like pressure or temp, or radar...
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.