By USA TODAY
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
From Pulitzer Prize winning storytelling, photography, videos, full 360-degree experiences and virtual reality, we’re now able to not only tell the news, but allow you to be completely immersed in it. Browse headlines and read about breaking news happening nationally and locally including News, Sports, Entertainment, Technology, Travel, Money, and Weather with a swipe. The new app design has also been streamlined to give you a deeper, richer, more visually-stimulating storytelling experience so you can get in, get out, and get on with your day.
• USA TODAY NETWORK: National and state-by-state stories keep you connected, covering the issues that matter most to you 24/7. Elect to add up to five of our local properties to get your community news added to your feed.
• BREAKING NEWS: Get news as it breaks by opting in for push notifications on News, Sports, Life, Money or Tech.
• PHOTOS AND VIDEOS: Experience headlines through captivating videos and photos. Amazing galleries cover everything from news to entertainment, sports and tech, to weather and money.
• VIRTUAL REALITY: Be in the center of where the news happens with 360-degree video and virtual reality content.
• SCORES: Join the most active and engaged community of sports fans in America. Stay up to speed on your favorite players and teams with scores, schedules, and in-depth stories. View all the latest sports scores for NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS, and more.
• ENTERTAINMENT: See the stars and get inside access. Go behind the scenes and know what’s in and what’s out with celebrities, fashion, music, movies, TV, awards shows, books, and more.
• STOCKS: Get a clear picture of the financial world, from stocks and IPOs to taxes and takeovers. Get personal finance tips and advice to improve your portfolio.
• PUZZLES: Enjoy USA TODAY created daily crossword and sudoku puzzles.
• WEATHER: Live weather, hourly to 10-day forecasts. Customize location settings and always be prepared with daily forecasts from your hometown or any major city in the nation and around the world.
Enable location services to customize local weather news and other location-based services. (Continued use of GPS running in background can decrease battery life.)
• APPLE WATCH: Receive news alerts for stories as they happen and save to read later.
• FORCE TOUCH: Force touch our app icon from the homescreen for a quick shortcut to weather, your saved stories, and the latest coverage on Elections and Olympics!
• iPAD PRO: Experience our captivating photography and stories in full screen or multitasking mode.
TELL US WHAT YOU THINK:
Our app features are constantly being improved based on your feedback, so we welcome you to tell us what you love and what you’d like to see more (or less) of. Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter @usatodaymobile. For additional information, please visit http://www.usatoday.com/mobile-apps.
What's New in Version 4.2
• NEW: Force touch our app icon from the homescreen for a quick shortcut to weather, your saved stories, and the latest coverage on Elections and Olympics!
• Fixed a bug that prevented crossword puzzles or content from loading
Note: This app supports devices on iOS 9 and above. Apps running on iOS 8 and below will still operate but will not receive App Store updates. In order to receive this and all future updates, update your device to iOS 9.
Ads are making a strong case to delete app
USA Today has always been a friendly, pleasant, breath of fresh air source of news that I could go to and not feel as though I had been violated in unnatural ways by the rhetorical and unilateral agendas of most other "credible" news sources. However, like most good things - they must all come to an end. For this app, it has been in the form of cancerous ads that have become malignant. The ads just keep getting worse: They position the ads on or directly around the back button so you accidentally click it when trying to go back to the news feed. You can no longer watch a video without first watching a video ad, and don't think for a second that you can give it the "skip" option until the very end of the ad. On the news feed they have this new little bane of an ad disguised as a normal pic ad (that you discover while scrolling through the feed is actually a scrolling ad), and you basically have to scroll through the ad to get the feed to scroll. I would say about 30% - 40% of the news feed are actually ads. I see this only leading to two possible outcomes: Either you give an ad free (paid) option that many (myself included) would gladly pay for, or you continue earning poor ratings and lose an irreversible number of customers to your detriment.
Ads are irksome
I've been using this app through years and have come accustomed to the stupid changed the developers decide to go through when updating the app. You just get used to them after a while. But with this current set up, the ads are getting a little annoying. I have to actively be aware of where I place my finger when swiping down to avoid the advertisement or else I'm going to safari for an ad I could care less about. Scrolling through pictures, there is a clever new ad that acts like a box. If you slide on the ad trying to get to the next picture, it instead uses one fancy graphic that rotates the box into another ad and it does this an infinite amount of times until you try to get the infinitely small sliver of the next picture to move on. Or you could always catch the right part of the screen and switch apps like I do. Just really poor choices all around.
Over all it's good, video implementation is bad
I use it every day multiple times a day. I like it except for the way they have implemented the videos where they play an advertisement before the video. I have a lot of them where the ads will hang up or take a long time to load. You can skip them after a certain length of time, but if the ad is hanging up you can't see the video you want to see and have to give up on that content. Now with recent updates, videos don't always load, on my iPad it's currently stuck on July 10th when it's really July 19th. I can go in to the separate sections on money and such and get current stuff just not on the general page that has info about everything. The ads drive me nuts!
Customers Also Bought
- Category: News
- Updated: Jul 15, 2016
- Version: 4.2
- Size: 45.4 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: USA TODAY
- © 2016 USA TODAY, a division of Gannett Co., Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.Apple TV: Yes