By USA TODAY
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
USA TODAY has added new features to its award-winning app, to deliver the best of national, international and local news that you love, in ways you may not have expected. From Pulitzer Prize winning storytelling, photography, videos, full 360-degree experiences and virtual reality, we’re now able to not only tell the news, but allow you to be completely immersed in it. And with our local-to-national coverage, you can now add news stories happening in local communities. The new app design has also been streamlined to give you a deeper, richer, more visually-stimulating storytelling experience so you can get in, get out, and get on with your day.
• Browse headlines and read about breaking news happening nationally and locally including Sports, Entertainment, Technology, Travel, Money, and Weather with a swipe.
• Watch related videos and enlarge images.
• Share stories via Facebook, Twitter, email, or text message.
• Get notifications on news you want to know through push notifications.
• Live weather, hourly to 10-day forecasts.
• All the latest sports scores for NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS, and more.
• Simple, unified drop-down navigation.
• Flip through top daily photos of news, sports, and your favorite celebrities.
• Link the iPhone app to your Apple Watch to receive alerts to the stories you want to know as they happen.
• Save your favorite stories to read later.
• Enable location services to customize local weather news and other location-based services. (Continued use of GPS running in background can decrease battery life.)
• Be in the center of where the news happens with 360-degree video and virtual reality content.
• Elect to add one of our local properties to get your community news added to your feed.
• Get USA TODAY recommended and most popular stories for more personalized content.
• Sign up for our newsletter to receive a daily dose of news, sports, life, money, tech and weather stories directly to your inbox.
TELL US WHAT YOU THINK:
Our app features are constantly being improved based on your feedback, so we welcome you to tell us what you love and what you’d like to see more (or less) of.
Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter @usatodaymobile. For additional information, please visit http://www.usatoday.com/mobile-apps.
What's New in Version 4.0.4
Bug fixes and stability improvements.
We value your comments and emails and are using that feedback to continually improve the USA TODAY app. To send us feedback go to the "Send Feedback" link in the app's Settings OR email us at email@example.com.
Sometimes change is not good
In my opinion there are two things the online version of USA Today needs to consider: 1) we read the sections of the hard newspaper because that's what we want to see: USA, world, financial, sports, living. The aggregator approach is something I don't care for because I perceive you're trying to tell me what's important. The Prince Dead day X is an example. There was no news after the initial report yet it topped the news section. Also in that section are articles about athletes who continue to act out, Keisha who continues to be under contract and ... What is your goal with this new format? 2) I use several news sources to inform me. It seems as though you've taken the low road with journalistic integrity lately with the article series on Chernobyl being the lone exception. Can you raise your standards a bit? Let the Aggregators and TMZ do their thing, it's like Time magazine trying to be People magazine.
New but not better
First, it's a free news app that hits major stories with adequate topical coverage. So, that's good. The new interface? Meh. I like that it scrolls further down and provides a quick weather update but the ads are triple decker big, and they only allow scrolling INSIDE THE AD. So, once you learn to flick news stories you can leap past ads but what a pain. I know $3 ain't enough to pay for the ads to go away but I would if it did. At least they stopped auto launching like they did before. Lastly, you gotta bring back night time reading. It's pretty obvious guys. My room doesn't need to be illuminated while I'm reading news in bed (and yes I turned down the brightness).
I used to love the simple and smooth interface -- headlines followed by a quick preview. The new interface, in addition to striping away the simple interface, takes forever to old stories over even a fast connections and crashes frequently. More ads and larger ads (now GIANT ads) appear and the amount of clickbait articles grows by the day. Time to find a new news app.
Please listen to the 80% of the user base who hates this update. All of these updates that claim to address this issue do nothing to make the app function like it once did.
I also hate when apps push through phantom updates just to clear recent negative reviews! Facebook does this weekly.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: News
- Updated: May 23, 2016
- Version: 4.0.4
- Size: 41.3 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: USA TODAY
- © 2016 USA TODAY, a division of Gannett Co. Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.