Wikipedia, better than ever—on iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. Discover the world and enjoy beautiful typography with this sleek app.
“If you love learning new things on Wikipedia but want a gorgeous interface to interact with the valuable information, then you should check out [this app].”
— Christine Chan, AppAdvice
“Best typography on the small screen yet […] Get this app, a brilliant Wikipedia reader.”
— Erik Spiekermann, Typographer
“[This app] is an exceptionally crafted app for experiencing Wikipedia on your iOS devices. […] the wonderful visualization sweeps you off your feet.”
— Preshit Deorukhkar, Beautiful Pixels
# Here’s why you’ll like this app:
NEARBY PLACES: Discover interesting Wikipedia articles about the area around your location. Or explore any other spot in the world. It’s fun with our signature map visualization.
MOST READ ARTICLES: See what other people read and find out what’s going on in the world. The “Most Read” section makes discovering hot topics a breeze.
SEARCH RESULTS: Powered by both Wikipedia’s full-text and prefix search, you’ll find what you’re looking for. Matches are displayed as rich article previews, tweaked for both legibility and high information density.
READING INTERFACE: We’re passionate about great typography! So it’s only natural that the layout is designed to make reading Wikipedia articles pleasant and efficient.
BOOKMARKS & HISTORY: Add bookmarks to the list of your favorite articles. Your searches and articles are kept in the History tab—automatically.
IMAGE GALLERY: Browsing Wikipedia’s images just got more fun: The brand-new gallery lets you see all of an article’s images at a glance.
# More Features
SMART LAYOUT: A combination of advanced layout optimizations analyze and reformat every article for ideal readability and great looks.
NATIVE iOS EXPERIENCE: For some Wikipedia Apps, iOS is just another platform but for us, it’s the beloved one and only platform! You’ll feel right at home.
BEAUTIFUL TYPE: Carefully crafted typography and high-quality typefaces in twelve different styles create a world-class Wikipedia reading experience.
MULTILINGUAL: Switch effortlessly between languages—if you read more than one. Or check out an article’s title in all available languages. We promise, it’s fun!
DARK MODE: Switch to the dark theme for relaxed reading at night. Easy to toggle with the pinch-to-zoom gesture—right in the article view.
# Even More Features
– Efficient images load high-resolution versions right before you view them, saving time and bandwidth
– Large tables are shrunk proportionally to fit on screen
– Table of contents panel for quick navigation
– Wikipedia editing in Safari — just tap the share icon
– Search for text within the article you’re reading
– Show and hide footnotes for references without scrolling
– Slide Over and Split View support on iPad
– Open articles from Safari’s share menu
– Search from any other app via the text-selection context menu
– Dynamic Type respects your device’s font size settings
– VLC integration to play Wikipedia’s esoteric media file formats
– Natural image zoom with swipe-to-dismiss
– Syntax highlighting for source code examples in articles
– Sophisticated sharing that you’ll actually want to use
– Support for portrait and landscape orientations
– Supports VoiceOver
– Supports 3D Touch for previewing articles
# Wikipedia On Your Apple Watch
NEARBY PLACES: Quickly find articles about points of interest around you
VOICE SEARCH: Easily find anything on Wikipedia using your voice
HANDOFF: Swipe up on the lock screen to continue reading on your iPhone
BOOKMARKING: To read later, just force-touch and transmit a bookmark to your iPhone
UNCOMPLICATION: Launch the app right from your favorite clock face
Whether you’re exploring the city with an Apple Watch or being productive on an iPad Pro—it looks and feels great. At any size.
You knew you loved Wikipedia.
You didn’t know it could feel this good on iOS.
– Brand-new gallery to browse all images in an article
– Redesigned experience for image viewing
– A smaller text size can now be set
– 3D Touch previewing for links between articles
– Optimized for iOS 12 and the latest generation of devices
– Full support for Apple Watch Series 4
– Many more detail tweaks, bugfixes, and improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Wikipedia is terrific: it’s armed us with countless life-saving nuggets of information. This app takes all that priceless information and spruces up each page with its own bespoke design. Essentially, it provides Wikipedia with a handsome filter. You simply search for whatever you’re interested in. Our favorite feature, however? The way it uses GPS to pinpoint your location on an interactive map and offer up a handful of useful and interesting places for you to read about.
Excellent design, ease of use, helpful features and regular updates!
First, there’s the design that welcomes you into a much reader friendly version of Wikipedia. Secondly, its ease of use and the accessibility of its safari extension makes sure it’s quick to call it to task the moment my browsing leads me to a wikipedia page. And last but not least, its bookmarking, history, and ease of switching languages on the same entry have all made my Wikipedia reading more productive and pleasant. I’ve been compelled to write this review not by any kind of annoying app request (which as far as I remember this app hasn’t made), but simply out of genuine satisfaction and delight. I’ve purchased it a while back when it was featured by Apple’s App Store, since it was cheap and I’m an avid Wikipedia user/reader. Since then, it’s consistently been one of my most used apps, and one of those little apps that could, from an attentive developer who never fails to update and support the app. And that at no other charge, which at this day and age is a breath of fresh air. That’s another reason I’m writing this, as I hope this app continues to be downloaded and enjoyed by many more users, to their own delight and to the developers’ reward.
Font too large
Even at the smallest setting text is way too large to be comfortable to read on my iPad Pro. This is my only complaint with this app. Other than that it’s great!
Update to dev response: Appreciate the suggestion but all other apps on my device are comfortable at the default text size. It’s just this particular app where it feels much too large. Changing a system wide setting for 1 app that will negatively affect my reading experience on all other apps isn’t an option for me. Would highly suggest implementing a text size configuration slider to allow smaller text sizes.
Update: You can now choose a smaller text size in the app’s settings.
Thanks for your review! We’re happy that you like our app.
Since you prefer small text: Have you tried choosing the smallest font size in the iPad Settings app? (Display & Brightness → Text Size)
This will make the text smaller than the smallest size available in the app’s own text size picker.
If you have any questions or if you would like to discuss this topic with us, please feel free to contact us via email or Twitter. Thanks!
- Raureif GmbH
- 33 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Spanish
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2016–2018 Raureif GmbH
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.