V for Wikipedia
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Wikipedia, better than ever—on iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. Discover the world and enjoy beautiful typography with this sleek app.
***App Store Best of 2016***
***Gold Winner of the German Design Award 2017***
“If you love learning new things on Wikipedia but want a gorgeous interface to interact with the valuable information, then you should check out [this app].”
— Christine Chan, AppAdvice
“Best typography on the small screen yet […] Get this app, a brilliant Wikipedia reader.”
— Erik Spiekermann, Typographer
“[This app] is an exceptionally crafted app for experiencing Wikipedia on your iOS devices. […] the wonderful visualization sweeps you off your feet.”
— Preshit Deorukhkar, Beautiful Pixels
# Here’s why you’ll like this app:
NEARBY PLACES: Discover interesting Wikipedia articles about the area around your location. Or explore any other spot in the world. It’s fun with our signature map visualization.
MOST READ ARTICLES: See what other people read and find out what’s going on in the world. The brand-new “Most Read” section makes discovering hot topics a breeze.
SEARCH RESULTS: Powered by both Wikipedia’s full-text and prefix search, you’ll find what you’re looking for. Matches are displayed as rich article previews, tweaked for both legibility and high information density.
READING INTERFACE: We’re passionate about great typography! So it’s only natural that the layout is designed to make reading Wikipedia articles pleasant and efficient.
BOOKMARKS & HISTORY: Add bookmarks to the list of your favorite articles—with one tap. Your searches and articles will be conveniently listed in the History tab—automatically.
# More Features
SMART LAYOUT: A combination of advanced layout optimizations analyze and reformat every article for ideal readability and great looks.
NATIVE iOS EXPERIENCE: For some Wikipedia Apps, iOS is just another platform but for us, it’s the beloved one and only platform! You’ll feel right at home.
BEAUTIFUL TYPE: Carefully crafted typography and high-quality typefaces in twelve different styles create a world-class Wikipedia reading experience.
MULTILINGUAL: Switch effortlessly between languages—if you read more than one. Or check out an article’s title in all available languages. We promise, it’s fun!
DARK MODE: Switch to the dark theme for relaxed reading at night. Easy to toggle with the pinch-to-zoom gesture—right in the article view.
# Even More Features
– Efficient images load high-resolution versions right before you view them, saving time and bandwidth
– Large tables are shrunk proportionally to fit on screen
– Table of contents panel for quick navigation
– Wikipedia editing in Safari — just tap the share icon
– Search for text within the article you’re reading
– Show and hide footnotes for references without scrolling
– Slide Over and Split View support on iPad
– Open articles from Safari’s share menu
– Search from any other app via the text-selection context menu
– Dynamic Type respects your device’s font size settings
– VLC integration to play Wikipedia’s esoteric media file formats
– Natural image zoom with swipe-to-dismiss
– Syntax highlighting for source code examples in articles
– Sophisticated sharing that you’ll actually want to use
– Support for portrait and landscape orientations
– Supports VoiceOver
– Supports 3D Touch for previewing articles
# Wikipedia On Your Apple Watch
NEARBY PLACES: Quickly find articles about points of interest around you
VOICE SEARCH: Easily find anything on Wikipedia using your voice
HANDOFF: Swipe up on the lock screen to continue reading on your iPhone
BOOKMARKING: To read later, just force-touch and transmit a bookmark to your iPhone
UNCOMPLICATION: Launch the app right from your favorite clock face
Whether you’re exploring the city with an Apple Watch or being productive on an iPad Pro—it looks and feels great. At any size.
You knew you loved Wikipedia.
You didn’t know it could feel this good on iOS.
What's New in Version 1.2.7
– Better formatting for timelines, citations, and chart legends
– Improved typography with hanging punctuation
– More reliable language options when running the watch app for the first time
– Compatibility fixes for future iOS versions
– More bugfixes and improvements
Finest Wikipedia app for iPhone.
I have used many Wikipedia apps on the iPhone including Articles, Wikipedia, Wikiwand and Wikipanion. After 15 minutes V for Wikipedia became of my go to Wikipedia app. Not only did it solve the problems of Wikipedia on small screens such as long lines and table views, it's design makes it very easy to read. Not only that but the application is fast and simple to use. One of the very best apps I've encountered on the iPhone.
Good layout & design
Best way to read Wikipedia on a smartphone. I have been reading Wikipedia more on my phone since I got this app. The way search is used seems work better for me, than Wikipedias method. Using a map to show nearby Wikipedia location entries has shown some interesting places to learn more about.
THE way to read Wikipedia: pleasurable and civilized
I use V for Wikipedia daily.
All the others look uncouth: BTDT. V for Wikipedia makes it a pleasure to *read*.
Well-tuned, fast, available. Obvious attention to detail. An essential reference path.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Mar 15, 2017
- Version: 1.2.7
- Size: 29.7 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, German
- Seller: Raureif GmbH
- © 2016–17 Raureif GmbH
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.