By Trina Baillargeon
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
A grocery shopping list can help you stick to a budget but a price book can help reduce that budget. So put your shopping list to work for you as a price book - a powerful, time-tested tool that will enable you to save.
ValueTracker makes it easy and convenient to create a color-coded shopping list and maintain a price book. Simply create a list of stores where you shop. For each store create a list of products you frequently buy. Update the price and size of a product whenever either changes. These updates are kept in a chronological Tracking List so you can detect sale patterns, seasonal shifts in pricing, and changes in price and/or size often disguised by redesigned packaging.
It is not limited to just helping you save on groceries though. It can help you save on any goods or services you frequently buy.
It also provides the added benefit of reminding you what you previously paid for a product so you never stand in an aisle wondering what you paid last week.
- The unit price is automatically calculated when new products are added and when existing products are updated.
- Shopping Mode lets you enter the quantity to be purchased for each product and use checkmarks to indicate products you’ve picked up. The estimated total of all purchases will automatically update for changes in quantity and price - no surprises when checking out. And as you check products off the list the item count will decrease so you’ll always know how many products are left to buy.
- Tracking Mode lets you access the chronological listing of all price data for a product.
- The Unit Pricing Calculator can compare up to four products of varying price and size to determine which one has the actual lowest cost per unit. You can even include a coupon in the calculation.
- The Color Category system helps organize your Product List. For example: use green for produce, blue for frozen, purple for products in aisle 3.
- Reorder your list of products to match the store layout. Products aren’t alphabetized on the shelf so they shouldn’t be alphabetized on your list.
- The Priority Highlight calls attention to the key products you are tracking so they stand out on the Product List.
- Add your “buy” price to the top of the Tracking List and have it appear on the Product List. This is a reminder of when to buy a product so you don’t pay full price.
- The ability to backdate entries if you input prices from a receipt days after a purchase. And the ability to future date entries if you see a sale price in a flyer days before you make the purchase. The entry with the most recent date will always be shown on the Product List.
- Search all product names in all stores to compare recent prices. You can also update products and delete products from this list.
- Email one or all of your shopping lists.
- Export a printable backup copy of your data using iTunes File Sharing in case your device is lost/damaged or you want to share your data with someone new to price booking.
- The Estimated Savings Tool calculates the yearly cost of a product purchased at full price compared to your “buy” price.
- ValueTracker can be used in portrait or landscape orientation for all views requiring keyboard input.
Shop with confidence and save.
To create simple apps that simply work. No ads. No in-app purchases. Minimal need for internet access.
What's New in Version 1.7
The unit price is automatically calculated when new products are added and when existing products are updated. NOTE: The first time loading a preexisting Product List after the update will be slightly slower than normal as the unit prices are calculated for all products on that list. After that the Product List will load at its usual speed.
Email one or all of your shopping lists.
Include where a product is located in the store - aisle 5, dairy, etc.
Great app just have one suggestion
I have been desperately trying to find an app that would allow me to make a digital price book to track rock bottom sale prices at my local stores. As a couponer it's important that I can create an accurate and personal price book that outlines things like size, price, unit price, and product picture it's also nice if you can easily search for products you need. I LOVE this app because it does ALL of that. My only suggestion would be to add a way that I could add a comment to my product entry, I would love to be able to note that I used a coupon to get the product cheaper during that trip, to comment on how I liked the product, ect. I'm not sure how hard it would be to add but I wanted to through that suggestion out there because that's all I need to make this the perfect price book app. Seriously user friendly and easy if you want a price book then look no further then this.
Love this app
I am still trying to figure out how to use this app seamlessly. I wonder if there is a way to click on product and see my recorded prices in different stores. And I see that if I did not choose initially that I want to add the item to other stores, I cannot choose that option later. It takes time to add products manually. I wish like other people that I could just scan the barcode. I also don't know yet how I can change the pricing from week to week. And I have not seen ability to ad coupons to correctly estimate the final value I would pay. But I have been looking for this type of app and even if I have to do everything manually I still love this app. Thank you!
The only app that does what I need
This is the only app I've been able to find to help me keep track of the lowest price I find on items. It's not perfect, however. I really wish I could click on an item and see the price for that item in all stores so that I know where to buy it. Right now, you have to search for an item to see the prices in each store. I also wish it were a bit easier to add pictures to an already entered item and add the same item to other stores after it has already been entered. But, it is definitely a helpful app!