Every French verb has 87 forms that a student of French has to learn. Verbes is the tool to do just that.
You can use Verbes in different ways:
- Learn the patterns of verb tenses by choosing a tense and then drilling yourself on verbs in that tense. Verbes will select a random verb conjugations and present it to you to drill, then show you the correct verb form - you then repeat the quiz/answer process as many times as you want. In this way, you learn not just specific forms for verbs, but the pattern of verb forms in tenses, so you can apply that pattern to any verb.
- Learn specific verbs. You can select one verb or create a verb list of verbs and have Verbes present you with drills on the verb you selected or verbs from your verbs list. You can create as many verb lists as you need, and have as many verbs on any list as you need.
- You can narrow down your learning by selecting only certain tenses, only certain verb types ('-er' verbs and/or '-ir' verbs and/or '-re' verbs), certain types (Regular verbs and/or Irregular verbs and/or Reflexive verbs) and certain Person/Numbers ('je' verb forms and/or 'tous' verb forms, etc.). These can be combined in any way to suit your learning needs; for example, you could drill yourself on verbs with an infinitive ending in "-er", in the present tense, only regular forms, and only in the 1st person singular person/number ("je").
Verbes has over 700 verbs fully conjugated. These include all the verbs in Barron's 501 French Verbs.
- Test yourself. See your improvement! Verbes has three types of tests: timed, number of verbs, and a combination of both. you can selected how long you want the test or how many verbs you want the test to quiz you on. When the test is done, you'll see your score. You can save the test results, and see a history of all saved tests - clear proof that you're learning!
- Create and save any number of verb lists. This allows you to study a small set of verbs as a unit. When you use a verb list, only the verbs from that list will be used for quizzing.
- See a verb's complete conjugation.
- See a sample conjugation, in English, showing how each tense is used.
Verbes includes a small Help file. If you'd like to see a more complete "How-To" document, go to www.verbtrainers.com and click on the User Manual link in the left column.
You can contact the developer at email@example.com.
Ratings and Reviews
You can set this app up to train you on verbs in simple or complex ways. It can be as straightforward or as tricky as you want!
It takes a little time to learn to set up, but a few months in I felt confident with all irregular verbs and also the literary tenses they tell you never appear. Sorry! I have found the Subjunctive Imperfect in Harry Potter and recognized it because of what I learned with this app.
Great idea/too many mistakes
The basic idea of this app is GREAT. I gave this app 3 stars because of various errors.
Among other things, I tried to send the following message to John, but the address provided in the app did not work:
I'm enjoying using verbtrainer. Love the principle of it. But even using it for only a few days I've run into some errors--and assume there are more....
I thought it was odd that you did not have 'acheter' as one of your verbs,
so I checked 'buy' on the English list, and there I found 'compter,' which
means 'count' among other things. I think you should include 'acheter' as
it's a super common verb--and change the meaning of 'buy'.
Just found a problem with 's'amuser.' You've got 'sont' for third person singular passé composé. And you don't note the endings. Should be il/elle/on s'est amusé(e).
In conjugations you're using the word 'gerund' where you should be using 'past participle.'
Luckily these are things that did not throw me off, as I have a basic understanding of verb forms. I'm just a little worried about 'learning' from the things I don't realize are mistakes....
Good luck with your next update.
P.S. Just noticed another error. You have 'pouvent' instead of 'peuvent' for the third person plural present tense of pouvoir.
YOU HAVE A GREAT IDEA. BUT YOU REALLY NEED TO GET SOMEONE TO PROOFREAD FOR YOU!!!! GOOD LUCK.
Much better program than another verb app
This app is cheaper than another I've seen. It has compound verb tenses, the ability to create and use lists, quizzes and tests. Best of all: no hidden fees!
Downside: I tried to make a list using the "être" verbs. 4 are missing from the app: devenir, monter, descendre, and rentrer. I hope these are added in an update.
I'd give it 4.5 stars if it were possible.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.