Vernier Video Physics
By Vernier Software & Technology
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
*2012 CODiE Awards Finalist - Best Educational Use of a Mobile Device*
Video Physics brings physics video analysis to iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. Take a video of an object in motion, mark its position frame by frame, and set up the scale using a known distance. Video Physics then draws trajectory, position, and velocity graphs for the object. Share video, graphs and data via the Camera Roll, email, and iTunes. Open in Vernier Graphical Analysis for iPad or with your computer running Vernier's Logger Pro software. Open with Dropbox or Google Drive to store your data file in the cloud.
Video Physics is perfect for physics students and instructors. Perform on-the-go analysis of interesting motions. Measure the velocity of a child's swing, a roller-coaster, or a car. Or, take a video of a basketball free throw shot. Video Physics will display the path of the ball and provide graphs of Y vs X as well as the X and Y position and velocity as a function of time.
Quotes from physics teachers:
"Just played with new Vernier video physics app on iPhone - it ROCKS! I remember the day when this would've cost thousands of dollars to do ." Mark Hines @mhines, teacher
"You should check out Vernier's Video Physics app. Students can email video analysis data to Logger Pro; very cool!!" @willkomme, physics teacher
Vernier’s Video Physics app is slick. - Ryan Bretag @ryanbretag, teacher and administrator
App store featured: Staff Favorite, New and Noteworthy, and What's Hot!
Features of Vernier Video Physics:
• Capture a new video using the built-in camera, choose a video from your photo library, or use one of our sample videos.
• Mark the position of one object, frame by frame.
• Set the scale of the video using an object of known size.
• Optionally set coordinate system location and rotation.
• View graphs of trajectory, and x/y position and velocity.
• Export the marked video to your Photo Library. Graphs are appended to video.
• Email the video and data for further analysis in Vernier's Logger Pro software for OS X and Windows.
• Open data files directly in Vernier Graphical Analysis for iPad
• Open data files in Dropbox or Google Drive to upload to the cloud.
• iPhone 3GS or newer
• iPod touch 3rd generation or newer
• iPad (all models)
**iPod touch 1st and 2nd generation, original iPhone, and iPhone 3G are NOT compatible with Vernier Video Physics, due to hardware limitations.
Hints for taking useful videos:
• Do not move the camera. Analysis assumes the camera is fixed in position.
• The object in motion should remain approximately in a plane perpendicular to the viewing direction.
• Know the dimensions of an object (such as a ruler) in the same plane as the motion. You will need this to scale the video.
Video Physics is intended for use in physics education. The video analysis done in Video Physics is a useful technique for studying two-dimensional kinematics. You can do even more with Vernier's Graphical Analysis for iPad or Logger Pro software for Mac OS X and Windows.
What's New in Version 1.2.1
Bug fixes and minor adjustments.
• Change to video control toolbar location.
• Adjustment to navigation between video and graph.
• Fix to a bug with entry of scale.
Video Physics now requires iOS 6 or later.
Just tried it today on a video of a falling object. It works great. You tap to set points that track the object. Then it produces graphs of x,y position and time. I haven't tried it in class yet but feel confident students will pick it up in under 10 minutes. I wish it could output to an excel or google docs spreadsheet. It can save a logger pro file to Dropbox or Google docs.
No auto tracking, need more software to analyze
The ability to quickly get video and tap to analyze on the ipad is nice, but there are two key features that I would expect in a PC video analysis package that are not included here. You cannot easily export to a spreadsheet ( for an ipad app, exporting to numbers would make a lot of sense ) and additionally, the app does not include auto tracking capabilities, you must tap on every frame that you want to analyze.
Add analysis tools to the app like linear regression!
Good app for any physics classroom but should be able to analyze on the iOS device or able to export to excel! Please add these features; not everyone has a logger pro license!
- Category: Education
- Updated: Aug 29, 2013
- Version: 1.2.1
- Size: 20.9 MB
- Languages: English, Spanish
- Seller: Vernier Software & Technology
- © Vernier Software & Technology
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.