Video Physics brings automated object tracking and video analysis to iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Capture video of an object in motion, then tap to track automatically. Video Physics instantly creates trajectory, position, and velocity graphs for the object.
Video Physics is perfect for science students and instructors. Perform on-the-go analysis of interesting motion. Measure the velocity of a child's swing, a roller-coaster, or a car. Or, take a video of a basketball free throw shot. Video Physics will display the path of the ball and provide graphs of y vs. x as well as the x and y position and velocity as a function of time.
Features of Video Physics:
• Capture a new video using the built-in camera, choose a video from your Photo Library, or use one of our sample videos
• Track an object automatically or manually add points to the video frame
• Set the scale of the video using an object of known size
• Optionally set coordinate system location and rotation
• View graphs of trajectory and x/y position and velocity
• Export video with points
• Email the video and data for further analysis in Vernier's Logger Pro software for OS X and Windows
• Open data files directly in Vernier's Graphical Analysis app
Quotes from physics teachers:
"Just played with new Vernier video physics app on iPhone - it ROCKS! I remember the day when this would've cost thousands of dollars to do ." Mark Hines @mhines, teacher
"You should check out Vernier's Video Physics app. Students can email video analysis data to Logger Pro; very cool!!" @willkomme, physics teacher
Vernier’s Video Physics app is slick. - Ryan Bretag @ryanbretag, teacher and administrator
App Store featured: Staff Favorite, New and Noteworthy, and What's Hot!
2012 CODiE Awards Finalist - Best Educational Use of a Mobile Device
Hints for taking useful videos:
• Objects that are very different than their background (black/white) work best for automated tracking. It is also helpful to use a background with uniform color and shading. See our sample videos for examples.
• Do not move the camera. Analysis assumes the camera is fixed in position.
• The object in motion should remain approximately in a plane perpendicular to the viewing direction.
• Place an object with known dimensions, such as a meter stick, in the same plane as the motion. Use this to scale the video.
Video Physics is intended for use in science education. The video analysis done in Video Physics provides a useful technique for studying two-dimensional kinematics. You can do even more with Vernier's Graphical Analysis app for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch or with Logger Pro software for Mac OS X and Windows.
• Restored data export to legacy Graphical GW application
• Clarified purpose of .cmbl file export
Ratings and Reviews
I’m a chemistry teacher who uses many Vernier products in class and I also coach pole vault. I started using this with my athletes to analyze their run so I can show them what I see by eye. I just really wish we could change the axis options as x velocity vs x position would help show them more accurately the set-up at take-off. This would greatly improve efficiency and effective coaching as I need to export into the graphical analysis app. This change would speed up my analysis! As others mention, the tracking feature doesn’t work well for me either as I’m analyzing running mechanics.
Cool good app worth $5
Actually very good! This app has very unique features I thought a mobile device couldn’t do! I could recommend to be able to add things the the tracking but it looks like you can draw if you track it on your finger!
Great app for $5, but also needs (free) Graphical Analysis app
Getting accurate results requires that you know what you’re doing, but if you do, then it’s great.
The auto tracking is meh, but manually adding data points is quick and easy.
Unfortunately, analyzing the data in this app is crap. Instead, download Vernier’s free Graphical Analysis app and import the data into that. Once the data is there, you can view x and y position and velocity data as well as do curve fitting.
All in all, well worth the money for a physics classroom.
- Vernier Software & Technology
- 32.6 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini (5th generation), iPad mini (5th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air (3rd generation), iPad Air (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular,and iPod touch (6th generation).
English, French, German, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2010-2019 Vernier Software & Technology, LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.