VerseWise Bible® (Revised Standard Version, Catholic Edition) for the iPhone & iPod touch is the Catholic Bible (with deuterocanon and notes) at your fingertips. It is optimized for easy, convenient reading.
The RSV is, as its preface states, "an authorized revision of the American Standard Version, published in 1901, which was a revision of the King James Version, published in 1611." Its goal was to:
- Maintain the beauty of the King James
- Update the text to more modern English usage
- Take advantage of modern scholarship and the increased number of Bible manuscripts available
The Catholic Edition, also commonly known as the "Ignatius Bible", was "prepared for the use of Catholics by a committee of the Catholic Biblical Association of Great Britain" and "published with ecclesiastical approval". It includes the deuterocanon (seven full books with additions to two others), and explanatory notes.
- Share selected verses via Messages, Mail, Facebook, Twitter & more
- Highlight verses
- Easily copy verses (with reference) to clipboard
- Create bookmarks and organize using tags
- Quick navigation to any scripture
- Search for one or more words, assisted by word completion and search history
- Returns exactly to last location and page position when app is revisited
- Automatically bookmarks your last location in each book and has a view history (up to 100 of your last readings) for easy back-and-forth navigation between books
- Convenient and smooth side-scroll for previous/next chapter navigation
- Low light mode
- Reading Plans
Go to our product web site @ http://vdub.software for more details.
- Fixed so we now return to correct place in chapter when returning to app or selecting item in history
Ratings and Reviews
Excellent, convenient, and accurate
This app is PERFECT for Catholics who want to have the Bible at their fingertips wherever they go. The Revised Standard Version-Catholic Edition (RSV-CE) of the Bible is the best Catholic translation in my opinion, and I was pleasantly surprised to find an app for it. This app makes it simple to read the Bible anytime. I can find any Bible book and verse I'm looking for with just a few movements of my finger. And it is completely accurate, right down to the commas and periods. Some other nice features: you can adjust the text to whatever size is comfortable for you to read, and you can bookmark verses that you want to be able to find again easily. Beautiful app. Worth every penny!
Highlights haven’t worked properly for over a year; developer is slow to fix bugs
Over the past year I have emailed the developer, notifying him of bugginess in the functionality of the highlighter feature. He’s responded saying he’d fix it in the next update. However, after more than a year, after a recent update the highlights still don’t work properly. (They disappear when moving to the next chapter.)
Overall this is a well-conceived Bible app. It’s a great translation, and the design and functionality, especially regarding the organizing and tagging of bookmarks, is just great. However, this has made developers inability or unwillingness to fix bugs that much more disappointing.
I hope they can polish this app for future releases.
Best Catholic Bible App
This is the best Catholic Bible app for contemporary usage. Even though the USCCB encourages use of the NAB translation, the Catholic lectionary relies upon the RSV-CE and this is the true translation that is used worldwide at Mass. I use this app daily, both in my work at the local parish and personally. VerseWise is the best bible app out there. You can see the great care taken by this developer to get thing right. Easy to navigate, easy to use. Best of all, this developer is very responsive. As to the commenter who has display problems, you should contact the developer. Personally, I have had no such issues and have used this app every day since it first came out.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.