Sony's TV remote control app Video＆TV SideView will make your TV viewing experience more enjoyable.
Using a smartphone or tablet, you can use the app as a TV remote control for the home.
- Key features
1. Turn your smartphone and tablet into a quick remote controller
- Video & TV SideView official site
- Compatible device list
Sony TV Bravia
Sony Blu-ray DiscTM / Sony DVD Player
Sony Blu-ray DiscTM / Sony DVD Home Theatre System
Sony Streaming Player / Sony Network Media Player
- Additional information
1. “Video & TV SideView” will work only if your mobile device and your home device are connected to the same wireless network.
2. Some functions and services may not be supported by certain home devices.
3. Some functions and services may not be supported in certain regions/countries.
- New function to launch Remote as initial screen
Thank you for using Video & TV SideView.
Ratings and Reviews
I have two side by side Sony tvs, and use this app to control them. Everything works great, offers both remote control types that come with the tvs, and allows direct launching of installed apps, features which I find essential and which make this free app invaluable. However, the only thing I’d like is if I didn’t have to keep connecting to the tv when I leave the app for a while and return to it. I would prefer if the app just left off where it last was. It sometimes does this, but to be truly useful as a replacement to managing multiple physical remotes, it would be nicer to not have to constantly connect and choose a remote face. I just wish it would pick up where it left off last time the app was used.
Buggy app breaks iOS 11 iPad recently used apps tray
After running this and allowing it to always run in the background, I noticed that the recently used app section would always only display 2 apps where previously it displayed 3. 3 apps would actually briefly display and then one would disappear. This persisted even after restarting my iPad Air 2.
I finally figured out that this all was constantly running and kicking other apps out of the recently run apps area. After I set the permission to never allow location and disabled background refresh this behavior stopped.
The app seems to serve no purchase other than being a remote so disabling background usage seems to have no side effects.
App in general has been gutted - good remote though
Back in May 2017, Sony had a contract fall-out with a supplier, and they had to remove all kinds of great functionality from the app. It's now a shell of its former self.
This means that the workflow is borked since you open it to show nothing and have to select the remote. It took 10 min of playing with the TV/app & 2 min googling to figure this out.
If Sony were a small startup, I could understand. But, it's a billion dollar company and should be able to update the app. Even if they just redesigned it so that the remote was the focus, they'd be better off. Is it really that hard to find a new SW firm to restore functionality, or wait for it....dev the SW themselves?
Sony has been trying to restore its former glory. This app affair indicates that they're still not on the right track to success. Keep it up, and Samsung, Hitachi, or maybe Lenovo will get to buy them out in a few years.
- Sony Network Communications Inc.
- 101.3 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2018 Sony Network Communications Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Player $4.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.