By Jonathan Schneider
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
"If you're the type of person who appreciates NES-era JRPGs, you'll get your money's worth out of Vigil RPG." - TouchArcade
Vigil RPG is an old-school-style turn-based RPG designed and developed exclusively for the iOS platform. Take on the role of a lone female or male hero on a quest to discover the cause of the appearance of marauding bands of goblins and monsters!
• Created by a one-person development team with a design goal of maximum FUN -- not maximum monetization! Vigil RPG has no IAPs, ads, or timers.
• Tactical combat that's actually interesting to play -- even vs. non-boss enemies! Every enemy has unique attack patterns for a clever and observant player to overcome.
• In-game rewards as well as GameCenter leaderboards that reward skillful play, not grinding!
• Fast combat! Select an action and launch each combat round in a single tap. Each round takes about a second to play out. Zip through battles quickly against easy enemies, or take time to consider your strategy vs. tougher foes!
• No frustrating iOS on-screen D-pad common to console-port RPGs! All hero movement is via easy and precise one-thumb tap controls designed especially for the touchscreen platform.
• No console-style manual game saving needed. The game is always automatically saved! Quit at any time -- even mid-combat -- and the game will always pick up exactly where you left off.
• 63 GameCenter achievements to earn! GameCenter leaderboards to compare your skill with other players!
What's New in Version 1.2.1
Fixed a bug where if the game was ended in mid-combat against a Wereboar, then when the game was later continued, the Wereboar would be kind of sleepy, and would always drop his axe in the next round of the resumed combat, instead of what he was actually supposed to do that round!
Praise for Vigil RPG update 1.2.1:
• "Before, not feel so good after game load. Now, me always ready to swing axe at silly hero! Grawr!" -Willy the Wereboar
Please make more!
One of my absolute favorites. The graphics are budget, & the adventure is on the short side, but this is one of the most advanced & innovative games around.
It's the RPG equivalent of an old school hot rod: strip away all the excess weight, supercharge the engine, then tune & balance it all to perfection. The "engine" in this case is the combat system, and it's a nitro burning beast.
I wholeheartedly recommend Vigil to anyone considering it, and I sincerely hope that AggroMagnet brings more games like this to market.
In this RPG, player knowledge about monster behavior is translated directly into character success. You're awarded different stars (and in game rewards for your character) if you complete quests in fewer turns. Lots of fun and replay-ability.
I read an interview with the developer today on Touch Arcade, which made me curious if I missed a good RPG.Dont let the primitive graphics scare you away, this is a fantasticly designed game which is perfect for people old enough to enjoy early cosole RPGs. I am loving this!!!