By Stefano Secondo
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Vintazines for iPad allows you to browse a selection of full-color, high-resolution, scanned copies of vintage magazines from 1900 to 1970. The covers of all available magazines are stored in the app and displayed on a scrolling, virtual bookshelf. Vintazines downloads and caches magazine pages in advance, as the user browses through them in portrait or landscape orientation, one page per screen.
As a magazine reader, Vintazines offers outstanding features, intuitive operation, and Retina-sharp readability. The app supports convenient pinch zoom gestures and swipe left/right to view previous/next pages.
* Vintazines 1.0 free for iPad
* Read mint condition, full-color, high-resolution, scanned copies of vintage magazines from 1900 to 1970
* Hundreds of back issues of Popular Mechanics and LIFE magazines
* Magazine covers are displayed chronologically on a scrolling bookshelf
* Advanced caching downloads pages in advance so they appear instantly
* Operates in portrait or landscape orientation
* Pinch zoom gestures, swipe pages forward and backward
If you are into nostalgia, and/or were born any time in the first half of 20th Century, you will LOVE this app! I've only had it for 10 minutes and I'm already excited. About five years ago I spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on E-bay purchasing several hundred old copies of Popular Mechanics. Now all I need to do is open this awesome app and everything is here for me to read and see. Congratulations to the developer, and THANK YOU! The amazing thing is that the app is free! If it were $4.99, it would still be a bargain.
As a former collector of old magazines (that collection was reluctantly sold when making a move), this great digital collection is just what I was hoping to find! My only 'complaint' is to wish that additional publications might be added soon. Perhaps Colliers and Saturday Evening Post? Meanwhile, I will enjoy every page of what is now online!