Visual Vocab SAT - Epic
By Mighty Oak Games LLC
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
A picture is worth a thousand words. Visual Vocab is a truly Epic SAT app featuring over 300 carefully chosen, must-know vocab words with illuminating sentences and memorable photos.
This app is based on the latest science about how we learn best: mixed modality presentation means you see the word, hear the word, and see an unforgettable defining image while you practice, play, and customize your learning experience.
Don’t waste your valuable test prep time! Let top test prep tutors introduce you to the main words that come up all the time on the sentence completion and critical reading questions on the SAT. This absolutely essential vocabulary is going to stick with you all the way through your SAT test and beyond because of the striking--even funny!--pictures. Smart logic in the app helps you learn the words you need to learn most. Quizzes and The Ultimate Challenge track your progress.
* Only the choicest, must-know vocabulary words that show up most frequently on the test
* The most important 300+ words in flashy, fun cards
* "Practice makes perfect" quiz feature with statistical reporting and adaptive programming
* Word list, “hide” and “star” features to manage your picture deck: custom tailor your learning
* Don’t get caught up in goofy games or boring flash card apps. Even if they are free, it’s not worth your study time
* Powerful mixed-modality learning based on scientific research
* Surprises *
* Like what you see? Check out our Pro app, but only if your score is already 700+
* Don’t wanna pay but want to take a peek? Check out our free SAT version with 50+ words
ENJOY! We wish you an edifying, entertaining, educational time. Great test scores too :) --Kristin and Shane
What's New in Version 2.0
Take a seat --Visual Vocab v2 is replete:
* updated graphics, redesigned UI and new words for fresh tests
* new “star” card feature lets you highlight and review your favorites from the deck
* more custom features and play choices -- display or hide definitions, sentences, audio, and photo for a customized learning experience
* more adaptive Quiz game -- words you need to learn come up more often
* progress bar and improved Stats reporting on quiz
* quick scroll bar and quick deselect on comprehensive Word List
* link to instructional videos: informative, handmade, kind of shady
* looks GREAT on iPad
I'm not one to spend money on apps simply because I know that I won't use them in the future. However, I was really worried about my critical reading score on the SAT because I didn't know much vocabulary. This app is perfect. Learning a list of words is never fun and not always that easy. With this app, you learn with the aid of pictures. This is extremely helpful because when you take the quizzes to see where you are, your mind links the word with the picture. You will see results and you'll get a lot of out it!
Used more than expected - updated
I purchased the app for my son to play. He is not a fan of "educational" apps, but he understands the importance of knowing vocabulary for the SAT. One of his first comments after coming out of the SAT last weekend was how many of these words were on the test. Pleased.
Note -- downloaded the update (1.1) and have noticed only a couple of changes (all for the better). The app is much smaller than it was before, and the quiz function now briefly shows the right answer if you get the question wrong.
Sound doesn't work!
Pronunciation/sound feature won't work on my iPhone 6S Plus! Please fix and update the app (hasn't been updated since 2014).
Sound issue has finally been fixed.
UPDATE: sound disappeared again. What a crappy app.
My other (major) problem with the app is an abundance of extremely easy filler words. Examples:
"quell reversal revere aesthetic arrogant negligent ensure prosperity backfire distant"
Everyone knows these! I don't see any reason to include this filler stuff other than marketing ("look how many words we have") or the creator's having trouble finding illustrations for more difficult vocabulary.
Also, the pronunciation volume is inconsistent. Some words are really quiet and some are loud. Makes it awkward when I use it in public.
The loud music in the main menu that plays at the app start should be removed. It sounds lame and sometimes creates unexpected disturbance when I forget to turn the volume off in public or during the night.
Other than that it's a good idea with a lot of potential.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Education
- Updated: Sep 16, 2014
- Version: 2.0
- Size: 72.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Mighty Oak Games LLC
- © 2014 Mighty Oak Games LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.