By VitalSource Technologies, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Use VitalSource Bookshelf® to download and access VitalSource eTextbooks on your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch. Read your books online or offline, search across your full library, and create notes and highlights to help you study.
• Download eTextbooks to your iOS device for easy online or offline reading.
• Simple, user-friendly navigation and a clean reading experience.
• Search inside your current book or across your full library.
• Select text to create notes or highlights from your mobile device.
• Tap to open figures, view captions and pinch to zoom.
• Sync your last page read and all of your notes and highlights between your iOS device and our desktop or web-based Bookshelf apps.
• VitalSource Bookshelf account
• Access to one or more VitalSource eTextbooks
• iOS 7+
What's New in Version 3.3
New in 3.3:
• Subscribe to other users' shared highlighters.
• Share your notes and highlights with the public or with a group of friends.
• Manage friends and subscriptions.
• Reading view toolbar improvements.
• Includes 64-bit support.
• Bug fixes and performance improvements.
Previously in 3.1:
Bookshelf 3.1 offers a brand new reading experience for VitalSource Bookshelf users with a more intuitive design and new features to make your mobile experience even better!
• Redesigned from the ground up.
• Improved search functionality.
• Sort and filter your books, notes, highlights and search results to easily find exactly what you need.
• Simple gestural navigation for quick access to your library, current book or even the table of contents, all while reading.
• Industry-leading support for rich, interactive content.
• Raised minimum OS version to 7.0.
Love our improvements? Having trouble with the update? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org, @vitalsource on Twitter or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/vitalsourcebookshelf.
This app is not user-friendly at all and is the worst ebook/reading app I have ever used. If it weren't for my stupid school using Vital Source, I wouldn't even bother with this app.
If you inadvertently change from portrait to landscape view while reading, the app loses your place and resets to the beginning of whatever chapter you were on - very frustrating. You could drag the page slider to where you left off if it were possible to move the slider with any accuracy or fine increments, but it's not. The Search functionality isn't anymore helpful than scrolling through the entire Table of Contents for a topic of interest. I could go on...
Very poor app design...sorry...
Page-turning delay alone warrants one star
Man, I really hoped all these other reviews were just written by intolerant users. In fact, I've only just downloaded it and already I'm annoyed. Each page turn has a roughly five-second delay. If you get impatient and try to scroll more, it'll delay it longer and then scroll a bunch of pages at once.
The one positive aspect of this app is that you can access content offline. But that is the lowest possible bar, as if it didn't even do this then there would be no point in the app whatsoever. If you need offline access to your textbook, get it. But don't expect to be satisfied. Quite the opposite, expect to be frustrated.
Intuitive and supportive app
Bookshelf is a convenient, helpful (and nice looking) app. It's more than just an average reader, and has consistently enhanced whatever book I'm working through. I use the app often and have seen great improvements and augmentations from previous buggy versions.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Feb 24, 2015
- Version: 3.3
- Size: 64.7 MB
- Languages: English, Bokmål, Norwegian, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Icelandic, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Welsh
- Seller: Vital Source Technologies, Inc.
- © 2014 Vital Source Technologies, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.