By VitalSource Technologies, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Use VitalSource Bookshelf® to download and access VitalSource e-books on your iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad. Leaf through the sharp, full-color pages of your books, search one book or all, search or browse figures, and look over your notes and highlights.
• Download books to your device for complete portability.
• Simple, user-friendly navigation and reading.
• Search inside a book or across all books.
• Browse contents, figures, and notes and filter search results for each.
• Tap to open figures and pinch to zoom.
• Notes and highlights you make in the desktop and online versions of Bookshelf sync to this app for quick study.
• Jump to a specific part of a book using the page number from the printed book.
• All of the content of the print edition.
• For quick transfer, use the Windows or Mac version of Bookshelf to drag a title from the bookshelf window into the Apps tab in iTunes and sync.
• Tap the book page to show a slider for quick scanning through a chapter.
• Use the contents pane button in the upper-right corner of the screen to show chapters and levels of the current book and to access search.
What's New in Version 2.5
*Raised minimum OS version to 6.0
*Bookshelf for iOS now Support for 25 languages
*Bug fixes and performance improvements
*Fixes for maintaining location after a rotation or font sizing
*Change the display of pages to fill the viewing area by default for page fidelity based VitalBooks.
*Added "Viewed" date to recently viewed books collection
*Added "Downloaded" collection to books collections
*Fixed bug with playing streaming videos in Dash books on iPhones in Airplane mode
*Added page break indicators on reflowable VitalBooks.
*Page label display now hides after a delay
*Updated Icons for Retina displays
Poor attempt at eBook
This app is really subpar. I have used E.O. Wilson's "Life on Earth" and this should be the gold standard for ebooks. When I switch from landscape to portrait orientation it changes the page. I can't tell you how many times I have been reading a book and completely lost my page to this app. When I am highlighting text in the pages it sometimes distorts the tables and moves text to the next page. None of the video clips work on the iPad. I have used some ebooks where there are interactive tables or pop ups that expand and really immerse the student in the information. If you highlight a table in the books when you read them in the sidebar it does not reflect that it is a table. The format is not preserved. When I found out that my program offered ebooks I was excited but when I got my hand on the actual product it was disappointing. Unfortunately I'm stuck using this app because my nursing programs books are put out by Elsevier. I definitely would have to say this is my least favorite text and I am not using these books by choice. The ebooks online are decent but the app is poor. Please improve this app , I would love to love it.
I've been using this app for a couple of months now and feel pretty comfortable abandoning my well loved and marked up e-textbooks. It wasn't easy at first as I had to get used to using the note taking feature which isn't as natural as feeling a pen in hand. Nonetheless knowing that I can use the app on and offline is key as I often need to catch up on readings when commuting. I love that I can quickly search for terms and jump directly to my note OR the actual chapter in the book where the term is referenced. If the makers could improve one thing for me, it would be to add a night mode as reading with the white page causes a bit of eye strain after several hours. I'm looking forward to good things from Bookshelf.
Bugs that Need to be resolved
I like the ability that this program has to break up the test by its chapters, highlighted notes and the specific word search. I'm thankful for those things but this app has a long way to go.
It has major glitches that keep me from being as efficient as I should with my reading. The first major problem is the highlights. I would like to see more distinction between the colors, especially orange and yellow highlights. I would also like to see the green and brown colors a little brighter. However the biggest issue with the highlighting is that there are many spots where you want to highlight just the beginning sentence or two and it jumps to the next paragraph or column. It would also be greatly appreciated if the application would stop freezing as much as it does. It takes me an hour les than half a chapter
- Category: Education
- Updated: Jan 30, 2014
- Version: 2.5
- Size: 25.6 MB
- Languages: English, Bokmål, Norwegian, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Icelandic, Irish, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Welsh
- Seller: Vital Source Technologies, Inc.
- © 2011 VitalSource Technologies
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.