By VitalSource Technologies, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Use VitalSource Bookshelf® to download and access VitalSource eTextbooks on your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch. Read your books online or offline, search across your full library, and create notes and highlights to help you study.
• Download eTextbooks to your iOS device for easy online or offline reading.
• Simple, user-friendly navigation and a clean reading experience.
• Search inside your current book or across your full library.
• Select text to create notes or highlights from your mobile device.
• Tap to open figures, view captions and pinch to zoom.
• Sync your last page read and all of your notes and highlights between your iOS device and our desktop or web-based Bookshelf apps.
• VitalSource Bookshelf account
• Access to one or more VitalSource eTextbooks
• iOS 7+
What's New in Version 3.5.1
• Bug fixes in interactive EPUB books.
Well-designed but lacking in stability
This app is well-designed for the most part (love the interactive tables of contents, for example) but I've run into an issue that makes the app borderline-useless for extended readings. Each highlight made while reading a book chapter on my iPad takes roughly twice as long to register as the one before it, eventually forcing the app to force quit. The same thing happens when trying to change a highlight color, meaning sometimes each individual highlight requires waiting through two interminable pauses before continuing reading.
This hang-time can only be stopped by restarting the whole app, which only resets the process. This single issue is driving me crazy, and will hopefully be addressed in a future update.
Example of a great idea on fire.
I only use this unstable litter box because my university has contracted their services for digital textbooks. The core of this app is great, but it freezes, lags, and using the highlight feature stalls the app for days. It is infuriatingly slow. You have to have to lock the auto-rotate feature on your tablet, because if the screen rotates it resets progress to the beginning of the chapter. I'm currently looking for an attorney that will file a lawsuit based on cruel and unusual punishment violations. I would rather roll in broken glass than rely on this POS for course material. I have to take a shot of some foreign smuggled crude liquor before I start studying to psych myself up for the near comical agonizing experience that is a his app. The developers deserve a swift kick to the balls and a binding UN resolution to never be allowed to publish any app ever again.
This app is the best incentive to pass all your exams at first attempt
I've truly enjoyed the CFA curriculum and I believe in the program. The Institute delivers a superior product in every aspect except for this e-reader. I'm going to write a complaint to the Institute also after I finish this review because they should not subject their candidates to this inferior product. Other reviews are very accurate about the problems with this app, the worst part of it to me has been the highlights: highlight one sentence, read the entire page, wait, wait, crash, reopen the book, scroll, scroll scroll, do it all over. I could have read the texts twice, if I didn't have to wait. The this reader is absolutely the most annoying part of the entire process.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Sep 30, 2015
- Version: 3.5.1
- Size: 67.6 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bokmål, Norwegian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Filipino, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese, Welsh
- Seller: Vital Source Technologies, Inc.
- © 2015 VitalSource Technologies Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.