VLC for Mobile is a port of the free VLC media player to iPad, iPhone and iPod touch.
It can play all your movies, shows and music in most formats directly without conversion.
It allows file synchronization with Dropbox, GDrive, OneDrive, Box, iCloud Drive, iTunes, direct downloads and through WiFi sharing as well as streaming from SMB, FTP, UPnP/DLNA media servers and the web.
VLC offers support for advanced subtitles including full SSA compatibility, multi-track audio, and playback speed control.
VLC for Mobile is completely free and open source.
. Added an activity indicator for buffering
· The background setting to continue playback is ignored when external screens are used
· Sorting in folders gets saved correctly
· Fixed playback pausing once external output devices like bluetooth headphones are disconnected
· Deinterlacing is disabled by default now modern devices no longer support this, which led to high battery usage
· Stability improvements for the H264 and H265 decoder and Chromecasting
Ratings and Reviews
Used to love this app, but stopped working properly.
This app used to work great. I use this app regularly to watch class lectures I’ve downloaded to my laptop. I used to be able to easily upload the video files to my iCloud or airdrop them to my iPad and then just copy them to my VLC library. I think the problem may have occurred following an iPad update a few months ago, but since then I only have the option to “open” a video in VLC rather than copy it, and that doesn’t even work. The app opens and the video neither play nor appears in the library. I’ve even tried grabbing my file through the cloud services on the app as well with just as little success. I also tried deleting and re-installing the app. Nothing. The only way to get videos into the app now is to connect my iPad to the laptop and use iTunes, which I find highly inconvenient. It takes longer and I hate using iTunes. Please fix this!!
It it ain’t broke, don’t fix it
I’m a big fan of VLC. It’s one of my go to players on Windows, and so it only is natural that I’d use it on iOS as well. App was working fine, then some update just wrecked havoc and copy over wifi became buggy and “next” button on my iPhone SE froze the app while it was running in the background, forcing me to restart. Then last update seemed to fix these problems and I’m more than happy now HOWEVER, I will most likely never update it again. It has all I need -for now- and I don’t see myself updating it anytime soon, aka never again. So thank you, VLC developers, for being awesome and not making your app have features locked behind a paywall. I will continue being a loyal user and recommend your app to my friends but will probably not recommend updating it to anyone.
downloads stopped working after last iOS update, flawless before that
This app has been a Godsend, plays anything, I’ve been using the desktop version for years so using this on my iPhone was a no brainer.
The download/media library has stopped working as of the last iOS update. Used to work flawlessly but now when i download videos from my NAS, they do no appear in my media library once completed. I can tell the downloads completed because the iPhone reports VLCs file system usage increased by the same amount as the downloaded file(s). Streaming from my NAS does work perfectly however. Just stuck with an empty media library now.
Issue seen on an iPhone 6 plus. Uninstalling and reinstalling the app did not help.
- 124.2 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Apple TV.
- English, Afrikaans, Arabic, Belarusian, Bosnian, Cambodian, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Faeroese, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Malay, Marathi, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Singhalese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © VideoLAN and authors
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.