VMware vSphere Client for iPad
By VMware, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
VMware vSphere is the industry's most complete and robust virtualization platform, offering the highest levels of availability and responsiveness. The VMware vSphere Client for iPad is a companion interface to the traditional vSphere client, optimized for viewing and managing your vSphere environment on the go. With this client you can monitor the performance of vSphere hosts and virtual machines. Virtual machines can be started, stopped and suspended. vSphere hosts can be rebooted or put into maintenance mode.
* Search for vSphere hosts and virtual machines in your vSphere environment
* Monitor the performance of vSphere hosts and virtual machines
* Manage virtual machines with the ability to start, stop and suspend
* View and restore your virtual machines’ snapshots
* Reboot vSphere hosts or put them into maintenance mode
* Diagnose vSphere hosts and virtual machines using built-in ping and traceroute tools
* NOTE: This application is only available as-is, with community support only. Please visit the community forum: http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/vsphere/ipadclient
* vCenter Mobile Access (vCMA) virtual appliance available from the VMware Labs: http://labs.vmware.com/flings/vcma
* Network connection to the vCMA virtual appliance; can use built-in VPN client
* VMware vSphere and VMware vCenter Server 4.x or higher
What's New in Version 1.2.0
New in v1.2 (see notes below):
* Migrate virtual machines without downtime using vMotion. The feature is available via Host & VM action menus. Virtual machines can also be two-finger flicked/dragged from the Host detail view to enter vMotion mode
* Ability to email vMotion validation error details to others
* View task progress reporting on VM cards
* Ability to refresh vCenter host list
* Support for ESX 3.5
* Support for VMware vSphere 5.0
* This version requires vCMA 1.2, available at: http://labs.vmware.com/flings/vcma
* Min iOS version: 4.0
Hard to believe
I find it hard to believe that VMware doesn't have a better mobile client app- one that's available for iPad and iPhone. Yes, I can look at the status of vms and servers and stop and start them, but that's about all. Needs to be closer to the functionality of the vSphere client.
Also find it hard to believe that in order to get this to work I had to download an appliance from a VMware labs web site, and agree to a preview license. This product and instructions haven't been updated since 2011. The instructions were written for vSphere 4! Ridiculous. I did get it to work but its hard to believe a company like VMware wouldn't produce a better product. VMware admins need one! Get with the program VMware.
Has good potential
The client is very easy to install. Those behind a firewall use VPN then run the vSphere client. Great for a quick visual overview when you need to glance at how your data center is doing.
The app needs improvement on:
1) being able to see what machines are spiking when looking at the cluster / host that may have multiple VMs displaying. Either by tap or pinch controls or both.
2) either can clone the alarms from the data enter.
3) ability to filter out OFF VMs if needed.
I haven't tried any moves via the app as of yet. I think this app has a lot of great potential.
I still have to remote in via my laptop. Maybe one day I can eliminate this step with this p.
I am a Mac user so this app was a great help. I was tired of going into my VM just to modify the virtual appliances on my server. All you have to do is upload a virtual appliance and make the ip static. No other work needed to get this app to work. The interface is great and even gives you access to snapshots.
- Category: Business
- Updated: Oct 17, 2011
- Version: 1.2.0
- Size: 3.0 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: VMware, Inc.
- © 2011 VMware, Inc. All rights reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.