By VocabSushi, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Are you tired of dull vocab apps that are just variations of memorizing definitions and flipping through virtual flashcards? Well, we LOVE vocabulary words but hate rote memorization and boring example sentences. So we built VocabSushi, a revolutionary app that lets you learn the vocabulary from classic books like "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" and "Frankenstein" using actual sentences! We think you’ll agree there’s no better way to learn vocabulary than through the writing of the best authors of our time.
VocabSushi is endlessly addictive because it offers content that is always fresh and interesting. No other vocabulary app does this. When you’re done learning the vocabulary from, say, Jack London’s "Call of the Wild" you can dive into H.G. Wells’ "War of the Worlds" or 100 other books.
We think a great sentence is like a work of art, and we’ve selected thousands of the best ones so you can read bitesize portions of your favorite books and focus on the vocabulary in the sentences. Best of all, it's free!
* Free app includes 2 free books: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne and Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens.
* Rock the vocab sections of the SAT, ACT, GRE, TOEFL and more, or excel in English class or just build an impressive vocabulary through the classics.
* In-app purchase of 100 additional classic books like Sherlock Holmes and The Scarlet Letter, just to name a few.
* Browse vocabulary words that appear in each chapter along with definition. Click for the sentence.
* Learn section shows you a sentence from the chapter and lets you figure out what the boldfaced vocab word means based on the context. Tap for its definition and swipe to move on.
* Quiz has tons of sentence completion questions that use real sentences from the selected chapter and vocabulary from the book as answer choices.
* “Tap for hint” to get the definition of the answer word.
* Earn points for correct answers (5x the difficulty level if correct on first attempt, 3x difficulty if correct on second attempt).
* Set your difficulty level and see only challenging words.
* Check your points status in the progress page.
* Average of 500 vocab words and 1000 sentence completion questions for each book.
MOST POPULAR BOOKS:
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - Verne, Jules
A Christmas Carol - Dickens, Charles
A Journey to the Center of the Earth - Verne, Jules
A Room with a View - Forster, E.M.
A Tale of Two Cities - Dickens, Charles
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Twain, Mark
Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The - Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan
Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The - Mark Twain
Age of Innocence, The - Wharton, Edith
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Carroll, Lewis
Arabian Nights - Anonymous
Around the World in 80 Days - Verne, Jules
Black Beauty - Sewell, Anna
Call of the Wild, The - London, Jack
Count of Monte Cristo, The - Alexandre Dumas
David Copperfield - Dickens, Charles
Mansfield Park - Austen, Jane
Marvelous Land of Oz, The - Baum, L. Frank
Merry Adventures of Robin Hood, The - Pyle, Howard
Republic, The - Plato
Robinson Crusoe - Defoe, Daniel
Scarlet Letter, The - Hawthorne, Nathaniel
Sea Wolf, The - London, Jack
Secret Agent, The - Conrad, Joseph
Sense and Sensibility - Austen, Jane
Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, The - Stevenson, Robert Louis
Tales of the Jazz Age - Fitzgerald, F. Scott
Three Musketeers, The - Alexandre Dumas pere
Through the Looking Glass - Carroll, Lewis
Time Machine, The - Wells, H.G.
Treasure Island - Stevenson, Robert Louis
Uncle Tom's Cabin - Stowe, Harriet Beecher
Vanity Fair - Thackeray, William Makepeace
Walden - Thoreau, Henry David
War and Peace - Tolstoy, Leo
War of the Worlds - Wells, H.G.
Where Angels Fear to Tread - Forster, E.M.
White Fang - London, Jack
Wonderful Wizard of Oz, The - Baum, L. Frank
Wuthering Heights - Bronte, Emily
+ a whole lot more!
Adding new books every week, check back soon!
What's New in Version 1.0.1
Tweaks, works on iPhone 3G/3GS/iPod, introduced 100 additional books for sale.
This is a great way to learn new vocabulary! I suggest reading each chapter of the actual book before you do the vocabulary for it though. Most of the books are available through Project Guttenburg or iTunes for free.
Good way to spend extra time . I play with it while waiting in long lines, etc
Vocab sushi provides a way to learn new more descriptive words without pounding them endlessly over and over but this time you get results! :)
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Education
- Updated: Jan 29, 2011
- Version: 1.0.1
- Size: 3.2 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: VocabSushi, Inc
- © 2010 VocabSushi, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Jane Eyre$1.99
- Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The$1.99
- A Room with a View$0.99
- Great Expectations$1.99
- Beautiful and Damned, The$1.99
- Age of Reason, The$0.99
- Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The$0.99
- A Study in Scarlet$0.99
- Wuthering Heights$1.99
- Moby Dick$1.99