Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
With its uniquely effective word learning system, the Vocabulary.com app helps you master words through a fun and addictive game. And it’s powered by the world's smartest, fastest dictionary. From the makers of the award-winning Vocabulary.com website, this app will expand your vocabulary with lightning speed!
“A positively addictive app for aspiring wordsmiths.” —Fast Company
“Vocabulary.com reveals the truth about your vocabulary skills and helps you improve.” —AppAdvice
“An addictive word-learning app... an approachable dictionary and quiz machine.” —TIME
* Featured in Best New Apps for Reference
IT’S A SCIENCE...
Vocabulary.com is a comprehensive program for lifelong learning of vocabulary, in which each activity is specially chosen for you.
• We use sophisticated algorithms to help you learn more effectively.
• We start with 120,000 questions that teach 12,000 words.
• We use the science of learning to model how you learn (and retain) new words.
• By comparing your answers to the hundreds of millions of answers given by other Vocabulary.com users, we personalize your learning experience and choose the best question for you at just the right time.
...AND IT’S A GAME
We’ve turned learning vocabulary into an addictive game. You may not even notice that you’re learning along the way.
• Accumulate points, achievements and badges.
• Compete with Vocabulary.com users from throughout the world.
Studying for an exam like the SAT, GRE, or TOEFL? We have learnable lists for you, covering everything from standardized tests to breaking news — you name it.
• Choose from one of our 50,000 ready-to-learn lists.
• Or if you see a word in the dictionary that you want to learn, just click "learn this word" and we'll teach it to you.
...OR WE CHOOSE
Don't have a specific word or list in mind? Let our adaptive learning system find the right word for you.
• Just play a few questions, and we'll pinpoint the words that are appropriate for your level.
• We won't waste your time on words that are too easy or too hard.
Like a good coach, Vocabulary.com won’t give up on you. Whether you pick the words or let us find them for you, we’ll work with you until you've mastered them.
And even after you've achieved mastery, we'll continue to reinforce what you have learned to make sure that it all stays fresh in your memory. Next thing you know, you’ll be expanding your vocabulary and improving your communication, a key to success in school and business.
FINALLY, A DICTIONARY WITH A SOUL
Our dictionary was written for humans, by humans. Look up a word, and you’ll read a friendly explanation that you'll actually remember. It’s as if your favorite teacher were explaining it to you.
We include clever usage tips and thousands of real-world example sentences that'll show you how words live in the wild and will make you more confident about using them yourself.
See a word you’d like to know better? Tap "Learn this Word" and easily add it to your learning program.
WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING
"Vocabulary.com is among the quickest, and most intelligent ways for students to improve their vocabulary. Regardless of education level or age, Vocabulary.com will help master the words that are essential to academic and business success." —National Education Association
“Educators who are familiar with Vocabulary.com are impressed by the technology. It is a sign, they say, that real progress is finally being made in computer-assisted education.” —The New York Times
“Vocabulary.com could actually make speaking well cool again.” —TIME
“Vocabulary.com boasts a Web-based dashboard bristling with points, levels, progress bars and achievement bonuses, among other attractions.” —USA Today
HONORS AND AWARDS
• TIME’s 50 Best Websites of the Year
• PC Magazine's Top 100 Websites of the Year
• Tech & Learning Award of Excellence
• Webby Awards: Official Honoree in Education
What's New in Version 1.0.1
- Improved signup process
- Squashed some minor bugs
Sweet vocabulary app!
Best way to learn vocabulary! This app identified my vocabulary gaps and tailored a practice routine to fill them in. It also helped me turn words I "kind-of" knew into words I can define, and it expanded my understanding of word usage. This app is extremely flexible: you can add any word you want to your "learning cue" and it has questions ranging from multiple choice to word spelling (so you don't just "kind-of" learn the definition and usage of a word; you learn how to spell, define, and use it). Usage examples are endless. My only suggestion to the developers is: if a word has Greek or Latin roots or prefixes, please include more information about the root or prefix AND give more examples of words from that "root family". That helps me remember words faster and recall them easier because it incorporates them into my existing knowledge framework.
Favorite app for a smarty
This app is amazing. It definitely has some bugs/parts it could fix such as the definitions of some words & expanding its vocabulary content.
I love that it contains a fun way to learn words by playing. It's a smart idea since I am addicted to playing! I love learning new words and there is no better way than this! I would definitely rate this five stars if only it contained more day to day use of words (I search up words sometimes & they aren't there which is frustrating since it is a vocab app, so please fix this! If dictionary app is free and has more variety of words, an app that costs money should definitely be on top of its game.) Also some definitions could definitely be a bit off, confusing or don't offer all the different meanings of a word. Still rating it four stars because I love the game and keeps my tongue top-notch ;).
"Ought" to be more
I noticed that words like "ought" are not in the dictionary and I had to look it up elsewhere. The old English word "aught" is inadequately defined as "nothing" when it's actually "something" and that's a big difference. This is a app that has great potential but needs work in these areas to compete with the other dictionaries:
1) Offline use - most dictionary apps I've used have an offline use to define words. Really great to save data. I can understand the need for internet connection for the games within the app but let the users have offline access to the looking up words.
2) Etymology - I would like the app to include more on the Etymology of the words, their old English root meanings and not just Latin. I feel there's not enough of that compared to other dictionary apps.
3) Updates - Updates for the app should not only be when there are bugs to squash to improve usage but vocabulary additions or updates on the words that I mentioned.
I had hoped that this would be my "all in one" dictionary app that would help me expand my vocabulary and dig deep into the etymology. Please, work on including these features into the next update. If the developers would include the offline use feature then I would give it a 5 star!