Voice Dream Reader
By Voice Dream LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Read with your ears! Voice Dream Reader is a widely acclaimed desktop-class app that reads articles, documents and books out loud. With advanced text-to-speech and a highly configurable visual layout, it can be tailored to suit every reading style and level.
Featured as Best New App in 81 countries including the United States and Apple App Store Permanent Collections in Education.
“This app is one of the best educational finds of my entire career.” - Forbes
“As a user myself and as a mother of a child with dyslexia, I am blown away by the features of Voice Dream.” - Quartz
“Voice Dream Reader is hailed by many as the best mobile text-to-speech (TTS) app.” - Examiner
Supported Document Formats
- PDF, Plain text, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, RTF, and Google Docs.
- Web articles.
- EPUB eBooks. (DRM-free books only. Kindle and iBooks are not supported.)
- Bookshare Books.
- DAISY text-based books and audiobook.
- Audiobooks in MP3, MP4 or zipped MP3 format.
- Experimental rich text and image support for all documents.
- One premium Acapela voice of your choice free with the purchase of the app.
- 36 built-in iOS voices in 27 languages are also available for free.
- 200+ additional premium voices in 30 languages from Acapela, NeoSpeech and Ivona available through in-app purchases.
- Correct pronunciation with your own pronunciation dictionary.
- All voices work offline and play in the background even with the screen locked.
- Tee-up a list of articles and play while you drive, walk or run.
- Spoken word is highlighted to improve comprehension and retention.
- Auto-scrolling and full screen, distraction-free mode to help reader focus.
- Finger reading. For beginners to read by at running a finger under each word.
- Pac-Man. Harvard and MIT developed speed-reading method for everyone to read at 2x speed with no loss of comprehension.
- High contrast and large font size for low vision readers.
- Optimized for VoiceOver, Braille and switch control.
- Bookmarking, text highlighting and annotation. Highlights and notes can be exported as text.
- Full-text search.
- Built-in dictionary.
- Skip text in PDF header and footer.
- Native support for Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud Drive, Pocket, Instapaper and Evernote.
- Native access to Bookshare.
- Safari extension to save Web pages and Web addresses.
- Support for Box and OneDrive via iOS Document Picker.
- Your entire library, including folders, reading locations, bookmarks and annotations are synchronized across all your devices using iCloud Drive.
It is not possible to load DRM protected ebooks. All books purchased on iBooks, Kindle and other commercial eBook platforms have DRM.
What's New in Version 4.3.0
- Legacy Web Browser is replaced with Safari.
Please adjust your workflow to use Safari to save Web content. Read "What's New" for detailed steps, and reasons why we had to do this.
I purchased this app after my cowriter told me what a fantastic job it did to help proofread her story. Reading written work aloud makes a world of difference. You can hear mistakes or awkward sentences. Dream Voice read my novel to me and I caught several errors that I may never have caught on my own while reading. For example: He titled his head, which should have been, He tilted his head. For writers who want to perfect their craft, this app is a must have!
One of my favorite apps
This is a good app, and I like that I can read a variety of formats with it. The designer seems commited to improving it. One feature that disappeared from it some time ago is the reading by line feature. Reading a word at a time can get pretty tedious. Also, if you start from the beginning of text, you can't get away from that first word without going through it one letter at a time. If you read all of the time like me, that gets pretty tedious.
GREAT app. I've spent HOURS in the car this year (90 mile commute one way) listening to all sorts of documents (scholarly dissertations and journals, emails, news articles), making good use of what would have otherwise been lost time driving. The app has also helped with the quality of my own writing and editing since I use it to listen to documents that I've written.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Jul 01, 2017
- Version: 4.3.0
- Size: 89.9 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Seller: Voice Dream LLC
- © Voice Dream LLC 2017
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- James (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Paul (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Salli (Ivona US English Voice)$4.99
- Will (Acapela US English Voice)$2.99
- Julie (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Kate (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Hugh (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Tyler (Acapela Australian English Voice)$2.99
- Bridget (NeoSpeech British English Voice)$2.99
- Amy (Ivona British English Voice)$4.99