Voice Dream Reader
By Voice Dream LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Having reached top 10 in Education in 86 countries, Voice Dream Reader is the world's most accessible reading tool. With advanced text-to-speech and a highly configurable screen layout, it can be tailored to suit every reading style from completely auditory to completely visual, plus synchronized combination of both.
Voice Dream Reader supports reading PDF and Word documents, DRM-free EPUB and DAISY eBooks, Web pages and more. It's directly integrated with Bookshare, Dropbox, G-Drive, Evernote, Pocket, Instapaper, and Gutenberg.
- 36 built-in iOS voices are available for free (iOS 7 only).
- 146 premium voices from Acapela, NeoSpeech and Ivona in 24 languages available through in-app purchase
- Languages: English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Finnish, Dutch, Portuguese, Russian, Czech, Catalan, Polish, Turkish, Greek, Arabic, Romanian, Icelandic and Welsh.
- Listen to documents like it's music, with play-pause button, gestures or remote control
- Continues reading when you lock the screen
- Change voice and reading speed (50-700 words per minute) on the fly
- Remembers the voice and speech rate used for each document
- Correct pronunciation with your own pronunciation dictionary
- Sleep timer
- Switch between original layout and text-only view for PDF documents
- Synchronized word and line highlighting
- Improve focus with reduced text area and auto-scrolling
- Customizable font including OpenDyslexia font
- Font size up to 80 points for low vision users
- Adjustable margin, line spacing and character spacing
- 3 fully customizable color themes
- Text extraction from PDF, Plain text, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, RTF, Apple Pages, and HTML files
- Text extraction from DRM-free ePub and DAISY books
- DAISY audiobooks, and audiobooks as zipped MP3 files
- Store and view PDF documents in original layout
- Dropbox and G-Drive
- Pocket, Instapaper and Evernote
- Bookshare and Gutenberg
- Built-in Web Browser to download file and extract text from Web pages
- Import using USB and iTunes from a PC or Mac
- Copy-paste and text editor
- Language translation (in-app purchase)
- Folders for organizing content
- Export full text, highlights, and notes
- Navigation by sentence, paragraph, page, chapter, highlights, bookmarks, 15, 30, and 60 seconds
- Remembers speech and visual location where you stopped
- Bookmarking, text highlighting and note taking
- Full-text search
- Built-in dictionary
- It is not possible to load DRM-protected books from iBooks, Kindle and Nook.
What's New in Version 3.5.3
- Fixed problem loading and viewing PDF files.
- Added Dyslexie font.
Quickly become one of my most used apps
I've wanted something this for. Long time that would allow me to read at home and listen in the car without two different apps or buying audiobooks. I'd messed with using VoiceOver to read out of iBooks and finally wanted something simpler. I'd highly recommend this app. I toss my epubs and PDFs (I'm sure it supports other files but I don't know which) in a Dropbox folder and pull them in when I'm ready for a new book. The quality is not, of course, the same as a professional audiobook but its good enough that I've listened through about 40 books on it so far. I've bought one additional voice so far (Julie) which sounds a bit better than the default but has a more compressed dynamic range so it might be time to see what the other voices sound like. Overall it's a great, great app and I'd highly recommend it.
Edit - there's one fairly annoying bug that's creeped in over the last while that I wanted to mention for visibility. The app still works perfectly with wired headphones but with the Bluetooth connection to my car it has begun dropping connections for a few seconds at a time every minute. This isn't a phone or car issue as it doesn't replicate with any other application (I've tried 6). It's anecdotal but seems to be related to the application trying to update the file metadata. Still highly recommended but want people to be aware since I know I've seen other people mention the same issue online.
Changed My Way of Reading Forever
This is the very first review I have ever written for an APP in the 3 years I've been an apple User. I've been using this App for around 2 months, and although I did pay the $10 to purchase it, every time I get a new update, or just simply use it at all, I've been getting a nagging/guilty feeling that I haven't done nearly enough for this amazing application. For this reason, I am now writing this review, in hopes that it will possibly help another person, and show my gratitude to the people who worked so hard to make it possible.
I am a blind 18-year-old student, and this App has revolutionized my way of reading forever. Not only is it amazing for reading books at my leisure, but also for doing class work and homework assignments. It has the best voice quality I have ever come across in any technology in the past, and makes reading quite a pleasure. I would recommend this App 100%!
Indispensable. A return to the oral tradition!
The single best app available for iOS. Honestly, it's worth buying an iPhone simply to get the app--it's that good. I don't have much to add that hasn't been said already. I'll just say that I'm a professor of history at a public research university and I use this app for listening to all the readings I assign and the supporting texts I use to develop course lectures. I even listen to student papers submitted by email as Word files. As you might imagine, I read quite a lot for my work--but not nearly as much as I used to, thanks to this app. I've discovered that I process information much better listening than reading, in part because as I move more quickly through material I more readily grasp broader, unifying themes.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Mar 23, 2015
- Version: 3.5.3
- Size: 52.8 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bokmål, Norwegian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Seller: Voice Dream LLC
- © Voice Dream 2015
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Top In-App Purchases
- James (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Paul (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Will (Acapela US English Voice)$2.99
- Salli (Ivona US English Voice)$4.99
- Julie (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Bridget (NeoSpeech British English Voice)$2.99
- Kate (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Tyler (Acapela Australian English Voice)$2.99
- Tracy (Acapela US English Voice)$2.99
- Joey (Ivona US English Voice)$4.99