Voice Dream Reader
By Voice Dream LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Having reached top 10 in Education in 86 countries, Voice Dream Reader is the world's most accessible reading tool. With advanced text-to-speech and a highly configurable screen layout, it can be tailored to suit every reading style from completely auditory to completely visual, plus synchronized combination of both.
Voice Dream Reader supports reading PDF and Word documents, DRM-free EPUB and DAISY eBooks, Web pages and more. It's directly integrated with Bookshare, Dropbox, G-Drive, Evernote, Pocket, Instapaper, and Gutenberg.
- 36 built-in iOS voices are available for free (iOS 7 only).
- 146 premium voices from Acapela, NeoSpeech and Ivona in 24 languages available through in-app purchase
- Languages: English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Finnish, Dutch, Portuguese, Russian, Czech, Catalan, Polish, Turkish, Greek, Arabic, Romanian, Icelandic and Welsh.
- Listen to documents like it's music, with play-pause button, gestures or remote control
- Continues reading when you lock the screen
- Change voice and reading speed (50-700 words per minute) on the fly
- Remembers the voice and speech rate used for each document
- Correct pronunciation with your own pronunciation dictionary
- Sleep timer
- Switch between original layout and text-only view for PDF documents
- Synchronized word and line highlighting
- Improve focus with reduced text area and auto-scrolling
- Customizable font including OpenDyslexia font
- Font size up to 80 points for low vision users
- Adjustable margin, line spacing and character spacing
- 3 fully customizable color themes
- Text extraction from PDF, Plain text, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, RTF, Apple Pages, and HTML files
- Text extraction from DRM-free ePub and DAISY books
- DAISY audiobooks, and audiobooks as zipped MP3 files
- Store and view PDF documents in original layout
- Dropbox and G-Drive
- Pocket, Instapaper and Evernote
- Bookshare and Gutenberg
- Built-in Web Browser to download file and extract text from Web pages
- Import using USB and iTunes from a PC or Mac
- Copy-paste and text editor
- Language translation (in-app purchase)
- Folders for organizing content
- Export full text, highlights, and notes
- Navigation by sentence, paragraph, page, chapter, highlights, bookmarks, 15, 30, and 60 seconds
- Remembers speech and visual location where you stopped
- Bookmarking, text highlighting and note taking
- Full-text search
- Built-in dictionary
- It is not possible to load DRM-protected books from iBooks, Kindle and Nook.
What's New in Version 3.7.0
- Amazing new voice: Sharon. This US English voice from Acapela is jaw-dropping in its realism. It's a massive download at almost 400 MB, so please make sure you have enough space on your device before purchasing.
- A US English Voice Pack is now available as a separate app. It comes with Sharon and James. After installing and downloading the voice files, the voices would become available for both the Reader and Writer. We created it for schools that used Volume Purchase to buy Voice Dream Reader and wish for more voices. It's also for everyone to get 2 great voices at 25% discount.
- Minor bugs fixes and enhancements.
Please write us a 5-star review in the App Store! We'll be grateful.
I have rated the application with 5 Stars because it is absolutely great, relatively easy to use and very helpful for proof reading documents. The only issue I have encountered is there is no sort ability. It would be helpful if I could choose the sort (title, date,time or size) rather than the application picking this for me. I have actually never determined what sort criteria the application uses but it's not beneficial to me. If the change this one feature I'd rate it a 10. I use this app on my iPhone and iPad with a similar program on my desktop. As a proof reader it is great. The other uses are for reading documents out loud that would ordinarily be difficult in small print. It's also great for reading small print websites. I haven't found any other app comparable to this app, especially with the edit, highlight, bookmark and definition features included. Thank You!
Very nice app but it has been quite a while since its been updated
Pretty nice app but it used to receive frequent updates but it's been several months now.
An update with the ability to import images with books downloaded from bookshare would be GREAT! And possibly some more premium voices like salli for $4.99 would be nice
also I agree with other review... I have always thought there should be an easier way to open a webpage you are viewing in safari with VDR.... Only other option then copying what you want read is to copy the website address and then open VDR and click the "+" then click "web browser"...then click and hold so that you can click "paste"...then click "go"....
that's my other suggestion can something be done so that the "paste" option can be changed to a "paste and go" option??
Then you have to click another button then click "save all" or "smart save"....then you have to close the browser so you can open the document....it is quite a process.
Don't waste your time with that voice dream writer or voice dream mail app
This app it's by far your best
Btw..the section of the app that allows you to customize the way different words are pronounced is awesome!😀
Over all a good app and if they add those things it is definitely worth the $9.99 + $4.99 for a good voice like salli
Pleases fix these issues and you get 5 Starz again!
I love this app! I find it very useful for listening to articles that I don't have time to sit and read. I listen while I am walking and get exercise at the same time.
As you should expect, the speech is not as good as a real person talking. Because it is computer-generated, I don't expect it to be perfect, but it is quite good. I'm often impressed how good the voice inflections actually are!
And it has some great features, too.
One of the features I use all of the time: When I see a long Internet article that I am interested in, I send the URL (link) to Pocket (Read It Later). Within a few minutes, it shows up in Voice Dream, so I can listen to it, or read it if I want.
Some really useful new features and enhancements come with each upgrade. The developer is quite responsive and does a great job enhancing this program. I use it almost every day, and wish more people knew about it.
I'm even more impressed with the improvements in each upgrade. It deserves to win lots of awards for best productivity apps!
This program ROCKS!
- Category: Education
- Updated: Jun 02, 2015
- Version: 3.7.0
- Size: 52.6 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bokmål, Norwegian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Seller: Voice Dream LLC
- © Voice Dream 2015
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- James (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Paul (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Salli (Ivona US English Voice)$4.99
- Will (Acapela US English Voice)$2.99
- Julie (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Bridget (NeoSpeech British English Voice)$2.99
- Kate (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Tyler (Acapela Australian English Voice)$2.99
- Tracy (Acapela US English Voice)$2.99
- Amy (Ivona British English Voice)$4.99