Voice Dream Reader
By Voice Dream LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Read with your ears! Voice Dream Reader is a widely acclaimed desktop-class app that reads articles, documents and books out loud. With advanced text-to-speech and a highly configurable visual layout, it can be tailored to suit every reading style and level.
Featured as Best New App in 81 countries including the United States.
“This app is one of the best educational finds of my entire career.” - Forbes
“As a user myself and as a mother of a child with dyslexia, I am blown away by the features of Voice Dream.” - Quartz
“Voice Dream Reader is hailed by many as the best mobile text-to-speech (TTS) app.” - Examiner
Supported Document Formats
- PDF, Plain text, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, RTF, and Google Docs.
- Web articles.
- DRM-free EPUB eBooks.
- Bookshare Books.
- DAISY text-based books and audiobook.
- Audiobooks in MP3, MP4 or zipped MP3 format.
- Experimental rich text and image support for all documents.
- One premium Acapela voice of your choice free with the purchase of the app.
- 36 built-in iOS voices in 27 languages are also available for free.
- 200+ additional premium voices in 30 languages from Acapela, NeoSpeech and Ivona available through in-app purchases.
- Correct pronunciation with your own pronunciation dictionary.
- All voices work offline and play in the background even with the screen locked.
- Tee-up a list of articles and play while you drive, walk or run.
- Spoken word is highlighted to improve comprehension and retention.
- Auto-scrolling and full screen, distraction-free mode to help reader focus.
- Finger reading. For beginners to read by at running a finger under each word.
- Pac-Man. Harvard and MIT developed speed-reading method for everyone to read at 2x speed with no loss of comprehension.
- High contrast and large font size for low vision readers.
- Optimized for VoiceOver, Braille and switch control.
- Bookmarking, text highlighting and annotation. Highlights and notes can be exported as text.
- Full-text search.
- Built-in dictionary.
- Skip text in PDF header and footer.
- Native support for Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud Drive, Pocket, Instapaper and Evernote.
- Native access to Bookshare.
- Safari extension to save Web pages and Web addresses.
- Support for Box and OneDrive via iOS Document Picker.
- Your entire library, including folders, reading locations, bookmarks and annotations are synchronized across all your devices using iCloud Drive.
It is not possible to load DRM protected ebooks. All books purchased from iBooks, Kindle, Google Play Books, Nook and most commercial publishers have DRM.
What's New in Version 4.0.3
- Brought back the Legacy Web Browser for continuity. Still, please try to use the Safari Save Extension instead.
- It's now easier and faster to save a Web page using the Safari Save Extension.
- Filter now displays the active folder or content source name.
- Edits of an existing pronunciation dictionary entry are properly saved.
- iOS voices no longer freezes after audio is interrupted while the app is in the background and not playing.
- Braille no longer skips lines when scrolling.
- PDF Original Layout now maintains visual location.
- Going to next or previous item plays automatically.
- Export original file now works for all formats, not just plain text.
- Authors for old documents now will appear after Repair Library.
- Allows sort order for "No Folder".
- Enable cloud synch will not lose folders.
- Sakura is now downloadable.
- Other minor bug fixes and enhancements.
- Localized for Hungarian and Bulgarian. We're now localized in 26 languages!
My below comments still hold true. This is a fantastic app for accessing content from a variety of sources. Now with iCloud sync, it's a dream come true. I love being able to switch between devices. I'm delighted to be able to use multiple literacy modalities to access text --speech or braille for me. I do wish the" Voiceover rotor worked more reliably when in the text box to check the spelling of a given word, ICloud sync has truly added so much to this app for me. I love that I can finally sync Bookshare books easily between devices, and pick up where I left off. This app has certainly been a game-changer for me.
Wonderful reading app. It's my choice for accesssing DAISY files, Bookshare content, as well as content stored in my Dropbox. Thank you for the improved Braille support. Now, I can switch quite easily between reading braille and listening to text. The fact that the last line of text is no longer repeated when accessing content through braille makes this app even better than previous verssions. What would make this truly a dream app for me is if I could have content sync between devices, so I could start reading a book from Bookshare on my phone and pick up later on my iPad. Thanks for always improving this app.
I LOVE This APP!!!
I have been using Voice Dream Reader literally every day since I bought it. Best ten dollars I ever spent in my life! I got it shortly before the 4.0 update, and it is my most used app besides the iOS music app. As a matter of fact, I used to listen to music every night before going to sleep, but now, I listen to Voice Dream instead. The sheer number of file formats and sources for content this app supports is mind blowing! I can read anything, from public domain classics to fan fiction stories saved from Safari. I can store my own personal writings, or those my friends share with me, and listen to them anytime. I can even use Voice Dream to store and play audio files, completely bypassing regular music syncing, if I want to. Of course, I don't normally use Voice Dream for audio playback, but it's wonderful that the option is there. I love the lifelike, natural-sounding voices for this app, and major props to the developer for making Voice Dream Reader one of the most VoiceOver friendly apps on the store. In short, this app is worth way more than it costs. It is an invaluable reading tool for me, my friends, and many others. To the developer, thank you so much for a job well done.
Great for making commute time productive/entertaining!!
I use this app a lot! I use it to listen to documents during my commute/workout that I wouldn't normally have time to read. Gives me an edge up! Great for reviewing material before work presentations, listening to web articles, listening to Gutenberg books, and lots of other uses. It is also ideal for checking your own documents. The ear can often find errors that the eye misses. Great selection of additional voices, too, at reasonable prices. Very easy to use interface. Plays well with Safari. You can add the web page you are currently viewing to your Voice Dream library at the touch of a couple buttons and then listen to it read to you. I can't say enough good things about this app! What would I add to improve it? 1) A random voice setting that would randomly assign a voice from your pool of voices to new library items. 2) the ability to play Kindle books (I know this cannot happen due to DRM protection on Kindle books, but hey, I can dream). In summary, great app!!
- Category: Education
- Updated: Apr 23, 2016
- Version: 4.0.3
- Size: 68.9 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Seller: Voice Dream LLC
- © Voice Dream LLC 2016
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- James (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Paul (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Salli (Ivona US English Voice)$4.99
- Will (Acapela US English Voice)$2.99
- Julie (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Bridget (NeoSpeech British English Voice)$2.99
- Kate (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Tyler (Acapela Australian English Voice)$2.99
- Amy (Ivona British English Voice)$4.99
- Tracy (Acapela US English Voice)$2.99