Voice Dream Reader
By Voice Dream LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Having reached top 10 in Education in 86 countries, Voice Dream Reader is the world's most accessible reading tool. With advanced text-to-speech and a highly configurable screen layout, it can be tailored to suit every reading style from completely auditory to completely visual, plus synchronized combination of both.
Voice Dream Reader supports reading PDF and Word documents, DRM-free EPUB and DAISY eBooks, Web pages and more. It's directly integrated with Bookshare, Dropbox, G-Drive, Evernote, Pocket, Instapaper, and Gutenberg.
- 36 built-in iOS voices are available for free (iOS 7 only).
- 146 premium voices from Acapela, NeoSpeech and Ivona in 24 languages available through in-app purchase
- Languages: English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Finnish, Dutch, Portuguese, Russian, Czech, Catalan, Polish, Turkish, Greek, Arabic, Romanian, Icelandic and Welsh.
- Listen to documents like it's music, with play-pause button, gestures or remote control
- Continues reading when you lock the screen
- Change voice and reading speed (50-700 words per minute) on the fly
- Remembers the voice and speech rate used for each document
- Correct pronunciation with your own pronunciation dictionary
- Sleep timer
- Switch between original layout and text-only view for PDF documents
- Synchronized word and line highlighting
- Improve focus with reduced text area and auto-scrolling
- Customizable font including OpenDyslexia font
- Font size up to 80 points for low vision users
- Adjustable margin, line spacing and character spacing
- 3 fully customizable color themes
- Text extraction from PDF, Plain text, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, RTF, Apple Pages, and HTML files
- Text extraction from DRM-free ePub and DAISY books
- DAISY audiobooks, and audiobooks as zipped MP3 files
- Store and view PDF documents in original layout
- Dropbox and G-Drive
- Pocket, Instapaper and Evernote
- Bookshare and Gutenberg
- Built-in Web Browser to download file and extract text from Web pages
- Import using USB and iTunes from a PC or Mac
- Copy-paste and text editor
- Language translation (in-app purchase)
- Folders for organizing content
- Export full text, highlights, and notes
- Navigation by sentence, paragraph, page, chapter, highlights, bookmarks, 15, 30, and 60 seconds
- Remembers speech and visual location where you stopped
- Bookmarking, text highlighting and note taking
- Full-text search
- Built-in dictionary
- It is not possible to load DRM-protected books from iBooks, Kindle and Nook.
What's New in Version 3.6.0
- Permanently fixed the PDF problem that came up before.
- Added support for loading files from iCloud and other storage providers like Box and OneDrive.
Life Changing App!!!
I can not stress enough the massive positive impact VoiceDream has had on my life. As a busy Dad whose work involves a substantial amount of reading and research outside the office, its very difficult to devote as much time to reading as I'd like. Voice Dream has turned my morning and evening commutes into classrooms and my household chores into learning experiences. I've taken books, articles/rss and papers and converted them to Text-to-Speech and realistically I consume tens of thousands of pages of knowledge each year. I've used Voice Dream since 2013 and it is hands down, the best money I've ever spent. Prior to this, I'd paid $120 for an older model Kindle just for the TTS feature and it only had one voice option. Voice Dream has many and its functionality is limitless. My only regret is not writing this sooner and being able to tell more people about this outstanding product. Take it from me, this app is simply amazing. Thank you Voice Dream, you have truly changed my life and helped my career in the process. Thank you for such an outstanding app!!!
The Best Reading App
Since I've found this app, I've listened to literally dozens of books that I never would have made it through on my own. Father of Four, many events, etc... No time to sit down and enjoy a book. But... now imagine you are doing yard work, you plop your headphones on and... bam! An English Voice (my favorite Brian) starts narrating your favorite book. Soon the hours pass, the yard work done, and I've gotten "lost" in a wonderful book. Ok... that is all well and good for recreational reading, but what about professional things? Ah.... I'm a lawyer also. Much reading and writing. Ever notice when a typo gets in a draft... or worse, a final draft? This naturally happens because as you become familiar with the work, your mind automatically corrects errors that are in the document. Voice Dream saves the day again. Take the brief, plug it into Voice Dream, and then you HEAR the mistake... and can correct it. Winston Chen (the creator) is also very responsive to issues, and works hard to keep this app what it is: the best reading app.
The Swiss Army Knife of Text-to-Speech
Voice Dream Reader can handle a variety of document formats, including PDFs as long as they have the underlying text metadata. The app also interfaces with a wide array of online services and cloud storage providers, including Pocket, Instapaper, and Dropbox to name only a few.
If you're blind, visually impaired, or routinely rely on text-to-speech for some other reason, you owe it to yourself to get this app. Sure, VoiceOver is great for quick-and-dirty reading, but for longer documents Voice Dream Reader is indispensable. Highlight, bookmark, and change reading rate on the fly. And the app offers a myriad of quality voices via in-app purchases.
Best of all, the developer is highly committed to improving the app. I'd give it six stars if I could.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Apr 18, 2015
- Version: 3.6.0
- Size: 52.9 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bokmål, Norwegian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Seller: Voice Dream LLC
- © Voice Dream 2015
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Top In-App Purchases
- James (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Paul (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Will (Acapela US English Voice)$2.99
- Salli (Ivona US English Voice)$4.99
- Julie (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Bridget (NeoSpeech British English Voice)$2.99
- Kate (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Tyler (Acapela Australian English Voice)$2.99
- Tracy (Acapela US English Voice)$2.99
- Joey (Ivona US English Voice)$4.99