Voice Dream Reader
By Voice Dream LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Read with your ears! Voice Dream Reader is a widely acclaimed desktop-class app that reads articles, documents and books out loud. With advanced text-to-speech and a highly configurable visual layout, it can be tailored to suit every reading style and level.
Featured as Best New App in 81 countries including the United States.
“This app is one of the best educational finds of my entire career.” - Forbes
“As a user myself and as a mother of a child with dyslexia, I am blown away by the features of Voice Dream.” - Quartz
“Voice Dream Reader is hailed by many as the best mobile text-to-speech (TTS) app.” - Examiner
Supported Document Formats
- PDF, Plain text, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, RTF, and Google Docs.
- Web articles.
- DRM-free EPUB eBooks.
- Bookshare Books.
- DAISY text-based books and audiobook.
- Audiobooks in MP3, MP4 or zipped MP3 format.
- Experimental rich text and image support for all documents.
- One premium Acapela voice of your choice free with the purchase of the app.
- 36 built-in iOS voices in 27 languages are also available for free.
- 200+ additional premium voices in 30 languages from Acapela, NeoSpeech and Ivona available through in-app purchases.
- Correct pronunciation with your own pronunciation dictionary.
- All voices work offline and play in the background even with the screen locked.
- Tee-up a list of articles and play while you drive, walk or run.
- Spoken word is highlighted to improve comprehension and retention.
- Auto-scrolling and full screen, distraction-free mode to help reader focus.
- Finger reading. For beginners to read by at running a finger under each word.
- Pac-Man. Harvard and MIT developed speed-reading method for everyone to read at 2x speed with no loss of comprehension.
- High contrast and large font size for low vision readers.
- Optimized for VoiceOver, Braille and switch control.
- Bookmarking, text highlighting and annotation. Highlights and notes can be exported as text.
- Full-text search.
- Built-in dictionary.
- Skip text in PDF header and footer.
- Native support for Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud Drive, Pocket, Instapaper and Evernote.
- Native access to Bookshare.
- Safari extension to save Web pages and Web addresses.
- Support for Box and OneDrive via iOS Document Picker.
- Your entire library, including folders, reading locations, bookmarks and annotations are synchronized across all your devices using iCloud Drive.
It is not possible to load DRM protected ebooks. All books purchased from iBooks and other commercial eBook distributors have DRM.
What's New in Version 4.0.4
- Fixed issue of words occasionally getting repeated.
- Fixed issue loading certain DAISY audiobooks.
- Actions on selected text in Rich Text layout now works.
- Web Site content source now stores user logins.
- Fixed spotlight search.
- Author field now available for Bookshare books with images.
- Added Finnish localization.
- Minor bug fixes and enhancements.
I've been looking for a good TTS app for a very long time. Voice Dream is stellar -- it's loaded with smart features that make it incredibly useful. I especially appreciate the easy access to any document in my Dropbox, as well as to Project Gutenberg and web pages from Safari. I love the 'Rachel' voice and the fact that reading speed is so easy to adjust. And the customizable pronunciation dictionary is wonderful! With other TTS apps, it has been very frustrating when the app mispronounced the name of a novel's protagonist, for example. With this app such problems are easy to fix if they arise.
I am using the app to listen to documents while exercising or driving -- I'm lucky enough not to have difficulties with vision or reading. But some of my students do have such difficulties, and I'm very happy to have an app I can recommend to them to help them with their work.
Fantastic app small bug
This is a really great app. I'm a big fan of text to speech and it lets me read a lot faster and longer while maintaining my focus. This app does it really well and you can play it in the background too.
However there's a bug that makes it seem more effective than it really is. The app has a timer telling you how long it will take to finish reading the current article and how long you have been reading. I can only assume this is based on the WPM number. But this number isn't at all accurate. When you increase the setting to go faster, different voices increase at a different rate. I just read a Wall Street Journal article at "580" words per minute using the Amy voice. Dream Voice tells me it took 1 minute 5 seconds. I used a stop watch and it took 1 minute 55 seconds. Doing some math, this puts my rate at about 328 WPM. Not quite as impressive as I thought I was.
Everything I'd hoped it'd be
I was a bit hesitant to just jump right in and spend the money for this app. I read the reviews and those helped but I still felt I was just taking a chance. I really just needed it to perform on one thing. I drive for a living and needed to study for a test. It worked excellent. Now I'm finding I'm using it more and more to read to me journals I'm interested in but don't have the time to read. Hint: sometimes you need to open things up in Safari by the forward button, then select the app from there. Hint 2: Plus go into settings and select the app to be used. I'm no computer whiz, so you'll see it's an easy app to use. Get it and enjoy! 😎🍷
- Category: Education
- Updated: Jun 06, 2016
- Version: 4.0.4
- Size: 93.5 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Seller: Voice Dream LLC
- © Voice Dream LLC 2016
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- James (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Paul (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Salli (Ivona US English Voice)$4.99
- Will (Acapela US English Voice)$2.99
- Julie (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Bridget (NeoSpeech British English Voice)$2.99
- Kate (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Tyler (Acapela Australian English Voice)$2.99
- Amy (Ivona British English Voice)$4.99
- Sharon (Acapela US English Voice)$4.99