Voice Dream Reader - Text to Speech
By Voice Dream LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
With high quality text-to-speech and a configurable user interface, Voice Dream Reader makes written text accessible to everyone. Control how text sounds in speech and how text looks on screen to suit every reading style from completely auditory to completely visual, plus synchronized combination of both. Load PDF and Word documents, DRM-free eBooks, articles, and Web pages. Connect to Dropbox, G-Drive, Evernote, Pocket, Instapaper, Gutenberg and Bookshare. All 36 enhanced VoiceOver voices, plus 78 premium voices in 20 languages from Acapela and NeoSpeech.
Voice Dream Reader has reached top 10 in education apps in 69 countries. We continue to add new features and improve usability, because we're committed to making this app the last text-to-speech reader you buy.
- 36 enhanced VoiceOver voices in all languages are available for free (iOS 7 only)
- Includes a free premium voice, Heather
- 78 additional premium voices in 20 languages available through in-app purchase
- Languages: English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Finnish, Dutch, Portuguese, Russian, Czech, Catalan, Polish, Turkish, Greek, and Arabic.
Load and Manage Text
- Text extraction from PDF, Plain text, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, RTF, Apple Pages, and HTML files
- Text extraction from DRM-free ePub and text-based DAISY books
- Support for DAISY 2.02 audiobooks, audiobooks as zipped MP3 files, and individual audio files.
- Dropbox and G-Drive
- Pocket, Instapaper and Evernote
- Bookshare and Gutenberg
- Built-in Web Browser to extract text from Web pages
- Import using iTunes from a PC or Mac
- Copy-paste and text editor
- Language translation (in-app purchase)
- Folders for organizing content
- Export full text, highlights, and notes
Listen to Text
- Personal pronunciation dictionary
- Play-Pause with gesture or remote control
- Navigation by sentence, paragraph, page, chapter, highlights, bookmarks, 15, 30, and 60 seconds
- Remembers speech and visual location where you stopped
- Sleep timer
- Change reading speed (50-700 words per minute) on the fly
- Change voice on the fly
- Remembers the voice and speech rate used for each article or book
- Continues reading when you lock the screen
Interact with Text
- Synchronized word and line highlighting
- Scroll freely or page by page
- Focused Reading Mode with reduced text area and auto-scrolling
- Bookmarking, text highlighting and note taking
- Full-text search
- Customizable font including OpenDyslexia font
- Font size setting up to 80 points
- Preset high contrast light and dark color theme, plus a fully customizable color theme
- Built-in dictionary
- It is not possible to load DRM-protected books from iBooks, Kindle and Nook.
- Instapaper requires paid subscription for third party access.
What's New in Version 2.9.4
Happy New Year from Voice Dream!
We're working hard on some awesome new features. Please join us on Twitter, Facebook, or just send us an email to stay informed.
This release contains minor enhancements and bug fixes:
- Enabled social media sharing options for audiobooks.
- Voice download is more reliable.
- Fixed: iOS voices couldn't be paused using remote control.
- Fixed: iOS built-in voices couldn't be set as preferred voices.
- Fixed: After stopping at the end of document, Play-Pause button remained as Pause.
- Fixed: Saving dictionary entries in text mode removed entries in other languages.
- Fixed: Incomplete In-App purchases could result in crashing.
Read by Listening? You NEED Voice Dream!
The ability to have an app read back a text file appealing? How about an eBook or PDF? Maybe you use the Pocket (read-it-later) service but realize you’re listening more to podcasts than you are finishing off your stack of things you saved to read later.
Voice Dream has let me simply and easily clear out a pile of documents, books and articles that I’ve been meaning to consume. I can stress how useful this app is. The base voice was enough for me, but other options exist. Settings let you customize your playback speed. Annoyed that text-to-speech always messes up on certain words? Don’t settle, add a pronunciation case so Voice Dream can properly pronounce names, acronyms and other words that you come across while reading.
It was a well spent purchase and would recommend this app to anyone who’s used to reading by listening!
Worth the price of admission.
This is a stellar app. Plenty of interesting voices to choose from and everyone who's heard it has been highly impressed. I use it primarily with epub files. I've seen some complaints about how it handles PDF, but I've worked with PDF enough to know that problems like wordsrunningtogether is a common issue for everyone working in that file format. Note that additional voices are in-app purchases, so be prepared to spend another $3-$4 to get a voice or two that you love. There's also a sleep timer. But it's not obvious. Hold down the play button to access it. I emailed the developer on a Saturday to request a sleep timer and I got a response about this feature within the hour. TL;DR: Great app. Excellent customer service. Well worth the price.
Superb for both being read to and reading
Absolutely awesome app for all kinds of files and books including PDFs. Not only does VDR read to you in user adjustable voices to suit your taste, it has a super clean text display, better than most e-reader apps. VDR does great text to speech or you can read yourself or let the app read to you and follow along reading it your self. VDR's ability to copy text, create a highlight, note or bookmark makes remembering, organizing or saving the best of a book or document a breeze. I love the fact that it remembers where you left off long after you have closed the app and reopened it later. Dropbox integration is wonderful.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Jan 13, 2014
- Version: 2.9.4
- Size: 31.0 MB
- Languages: English, Bokmål, Norwegian, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Seller: Voice Dream LLC
- © Voice Dream 2013
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- US English Voice - James$2.99
- US English Voice - Paul$2.99
- British English Voice - Bridget$2.99
- US English Voice - Will$1.99
- US English Voice - Julie$2.99
- US English Voice - Kate$2.99
- Australian English Voice - Tyler$1.99
- US English Voice - Tracy$1.99
- British English Voice - Rachel$1.99
- British English Voice - Peter$1.99