Voice Dream Reader
By Voice Dream LLC
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Featured as Best New App in 81 countries including the United States and Apple App Store Permanent Collections in Education.
“This app is one of the best educational finds of my entire career.” - Forbes
“As a user myself and as a mother of a child with dyslexia, I am blown away by the features of Voice Dream.” - Quartz
“Voice Dream Reader is hailed by many as the best mobile text-to-speech (TTS) app.” - Examiner
Supported Document Formats
- PDF, Plain text, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, RTF, and Google Docs.
- Web articles.
- EPUB eBooks. (DRM-free books only. Kindle and iBooks are not supported.)
- Bookshare Books.
- DAISY text-based books and audiobook.
- Audiobooks in MP3, MP4 or zipped MP3 format.
- Experimental rich text and image support for all documents.
- One premium Acapela voice of your choice free with the purchase of the app.
- 36 built-in iOS voices in 27 languages are also available for free.
- 200+ additional premium voices in 30 languages from Acapela, NeoSpeech and Ivona available through in-app purchases.
- Correct pronunciation with your own pronunciation dictionary.
- All voices work offline and play in the background even with the screen locked.
- Tee-up a list of articles and play while you drive, walk or run.
- Spoken word is highlighted to improve comprehension and retention.
- Auto-scrolling and full screen, distraction-free mode to help reader focus.
- Finger reading. For beginners to read by at running a finger under each word.
- Pac-Man. Harvard and MIT developed speed-reading method for everyone to read at 2x speed with no loss of comprehension.
- High contrast and large font size for low vision readers.
- Optimized for VoiceOver, Braille and switch control.
- Bookmarking, text highlighting and annotation. Highlights and notes can be exported as text.
- Full-text search.
- Built-in dictionary.
- Skip text in PDF header and footer.
- Native support for Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud Drive, Pocket, Instapaper and Evernote.
- Native access to Bookshare.
- Safari extension to save Web pages and Web addresses.
- Support for Box and OneDrive via iOS Document Picker.
- Your entire library, including folders, reading locations, bookmarks and annotations are synchronized across all your devices using iCloud Drive.
It is not possible to load DRM protected ebooks. All books purchased on iBooks, Kindle and other commercial eBook platforms have DRM.
What's New in Version 4.4.8
- Support for iPhone X.
- Better handle of large accessibility text sizes.
- Minor bug fixes and UI enhancements.
Doesn’t add much to system capabilities
My fault, I suppose, for not doing due diligence but I don’t really think this app’s features reflects its price. It is simply an interface for built-in text-to-speech system feature on iOS (with the option of purchasing additional voices which are better but, of course, never as good in practice as the promotional audio samples suggest). Without this app, you can already tell Siri to read you anything, and you can even change the frequency/pitch using free apps (like Apple’s own Workflow app), so this app doesn’t really add much. Voice Dream Reader doesn’t really do what I was hoping it would do, like be smart about not reading footers (which can be very long). If I can quickly delete footers with a simple regex workflow (I’m not a programmer) before it speaks text, then surely this app’s developers can, too? Their pdf margin editor is very difficult to work—surprising given that this app geared to improve digital accessibility. I like the tap gestures, but other than that, this I app doesn’t really add much value to system features, certainly not the kind of value suggested by the price.
What a wonderful app!
I love Voice Dream it is such a game changer for students and teachers. I originally got this app for my grandmother who was a avid reader. But do to her stroke a couple years back she found it hard to read. So this app was wonderful for her up till the last. Being able to read all her favorite books and articles really brought her pleasure, when otherwise she could just been stuck watching tv.
This app is not perfect and can be glitchy at times. A way to look up words other than a title in each document would be good. When you are working on your thesis this would be a help. I have over a hundred articles that’s a mix of fiction research and nonfiction it’s hard to go back and find a particular document. But the pros outlasts the cons in that manner, so I’ll continue using this app.
Great spiritual tool
Are use this app for many things...articles on the web that I want to listen to instead of read is one. But I use it most often as a form of reminding me of positive affirmations and my personal mission statement.
I record the things that I am grateful for and a list of my spiritual truths and will listen back to them as a reminder. I have written a colloquy, a dialogue between God and me and I listen back to that. I am a student of 7 habits of highly effective people and I have my mission statement read back to me as well. All of these things are amazing tools.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Nov 05, 2017
- Version: 4.4.8
- Size: 102 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Seller: Voice Dream LLC
- © Voice Dream LLC 2017
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- James (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Paul (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Salli (Ivona US English Voice)$4.99
- Will (Acapela US English Voice)$2.99
- Julie (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Hugh (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Kate (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Tyler (Acapela Australian English Voice)$2.99
- Amy (Ivona British English Voice)$4.99
- Bridget (NeoSpeech British English Voice)$2.99