Voice Dream Reader
By Voice Dream LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
50% off until July 4. Read with your ears! Voice Dream Reader is a widely acclaimed desktop-class app that reads articles, documents and books out loud. With advanced text-to-speech and a highly configurable visual layout, it can be tailored to suit every reading style and level.
Featured as Best New App in 81 countries including the United States and Apple App Store Permanent Collections in Education.
“This app is one of the best educational finds of my entire career.” - Forbes
“As a user myself and as a mother of a child with dyslexia, I am blown away by the features of Voice Dream.” - Quartz
“Voice Dream Reader is hailed by many as the best mobile text-to-speech (TTS) app.” - Examiner
Supported Document Formats
- PDF, Plain text, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, RTF, and Google Docs.
- Web articles.
- EPUB eBooks. (DRM-free books only. Kindle and iBooks are not supported.)
- Bookshare Books.
- DAISY text-based books and audiobook.
- Audiobooks in MP3, MP4 or zipped MP3 format.
- Experimental rich text and image support for all documents.
- One premium Acapela voice of your choice free with the purchase of the app.
- 36 built-in iOS voices in 27 languages are also available for free.
- 200+ additional premium voices in 30 languages from Acapela, NeoSpeech and Ivona available through in-app purchases.
- Correct pronunciation with your own pronunciation dictionary.
- All voices work offline and play in the background even with the screen locked.
- Tee-up a list of articles and play while you drive, walk or run.
- Spoken word is highlighted to improve comprehension and retention.
- Auto-scrolling and full screen, distraction-free mode to help reader focus.
- Finger reading. For beginners to read by at running a finger under each word.
- Pac-Man. Harvard and MIT developed speed-reading method for everyone to read at 2x speed with no loss of comprehension.
- High contrast and large font size for low vision readers.
- Optimized for VoiceOver, Braille and switch control.
- Bookmarking, text highlighting and annotation. Highlights and notes can be exported as text.
- Full-text search.
- Built-in dictionary.
- Skip text in PDF header and footer.
- Native support for Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud Drive, Pocket, Instapaper and Evernote.
- Native access to Bookshare.
- Safari extension to save Web pages and Web addresses.
- Support for Box and OneDrive via iOS Document Picker.
- Your entire library, including folders, reading locations, bookmarks and annotations are synchronized across all your devices using iCloud Drive.
It is not possible to load DRM protected ebooks. All books purchased on iBooks, Kindle and other commercial eBook platforms have DRM.
What's New in Version 4.2.4
- Bug fixes.
Fixed: Problem sync w Dropbox and Evernote
Update: just a few days after I sent a note to devs about this problem they wrote me back saying that this bug would be fixed and they were true to their word!
The manual says "Voice Dream Reader supports Dropbox natively. If you wish to change the Dropbox account, please disable it and then enable it again." This is unclear and my app is unable to sync w any of the content sources except for instapaper, which I haven't used in years.
I really wanted this app to work, but unless it can sync w Dropbox Evernote or Gdrive it is not as convenient or useful.
Make TTS great again! Essential app!
I'm using this app every single day since I bought it! And I bought this app for several friends as gifts, some of them used it while cooking or jogging, they all love it.
I really love listening to eBooks with the iOS' built-in "Speak Screen" + iBooks or Kindle. When I saw Voice Dream, I wondered why people would rather pay for an app which seems to have the same function as the free alternative. I decided to give it a try.
What I like about this app, flawless continuous text-to-audio, playback can be paused by remote control button on headset (works with Airpods), or a simple double-finger tap on screen. Just point to any sentence, and it starts reading that particular section. I could easily see the remaining reading time required for the book, the remaining time changes when you change the reading speed.
This is one of the best purchases I've made since I started using iPhone, I will rate it as 5 stars and an Essential app.
Definitely a "Dream" reader!
I'm legally blind and the native TTS in iOS 10 has not worked well for me. I had many documents and articles sitting in the Cloud waiting to be read. Voice Dream has now enabled me to hear them. Thus far, I've listened to text in PDF, and DAISY formats and some items from Evernote.
I'm really grateful to the developers of this app for making it available at a reasonable price.
Many low vision stores charge unconscionable prices for TTS devices, none of which are covered by Medicare.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Jun 22, 2017
- Version: 4.2.4
- Size: 89.9 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Seller: Voice Dream LLC
- © Voice Dream LLC 2017
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- James (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Paul (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Salli (Ivona US English Voice)$4.99
- Will (Acapela US English Voice)$2.99
- Julie (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Hugh (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Kate (NeoSpeech US English Voice)$2.99
- Bridget (NeoSpeech British English Voice)$2.99
- Tyler (Acapela Australian English Voice)$2.99
- Amy (Ivona British English Voice)$4.99