Featured by Apple as Best New App in 81 countries including the United States and part of App Store Permanent Collections in Education.
“This app is one of the best educational finds of my entire career.” - Forbes
“As a user myself and as a mother of a child with dyslexia, I am blown away by the features of Voice Dream.” - Quartz
“Voice Dream Reader is hailed by many as the best mobile text-to-speech (TTS) app.” - Examiner
Supported Document Formats
- PDF, Plain text, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, RTF, and Google Docs.
- Web articles.
- EPUB eBooks. (DRM-free books only. Kindle, iBooks and most commercial eBook platforms are not supported.)
- Bookshare Books.
- DAISY text-based books and audiobook.
- Audiobooks in MP3, MP4 or zipped MP3 format.
- Rich text and image support for all documents.
- One premium Acapela voice of your choice free with the purchase of the app.
- 36 built-in iOS voices in 27 languages are also available for free.
- 200+ additional premium voices in 30 languages from Acapela, NeoSpeech and Ivona available through in-app purchases.
- Correct pronunciation with your own pronunciation dictionary.
- All voices work offline and play in the background even with the screen locked.
- Tee-up a list of articles and play while you drive, walk or run.
- Spoken word is highlighted to improve comprehension and retention.
- Auto-scrolling and full screen, distraction-free mode to help reader focus.
- Finger reading. For beginners to read by at running a finger under each word.
- Pac-Man. Harvard and MIT developed speed-reading method for everyone to read at 2x speed with no loss of comprehension.
- High contrast and large font size for low vision readers.
- Optimized for VoiceOver, Braille and switch control.
- Bookmarking, text highlighting and annotation. Highlights and notes can be exported.
- Full-text search.
- Built-in dictionary.
- Skip text in PDF header and footer.
- Native support for Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud Drive, Pocket, Instapaper and Evernote.
- Native access to Bookshare.
- Safari extension to save Web pages and Web addresses.
- Support for Box and OneDrive via iOS Document Picker.
- Your entire library, including folders, reading locations, bookmarks and annotations are synchronized across all your devices using iCloud Drive.
Voice Dream Reader is now available on Apple Watch! You can now read while going for a walk with your earphones and Apple Watch.
This update also contains several refinements and bug fixes.
Please read "What's New 4.7.0" carefully to learn about the Watch App and other new features.
Ratings and Reviews
Great App, Minor Bug
The standard out of the box voice (Heather) is the most human-like I’ve ever heard. Also, the “pronunciation dictionary” feature is amazing - allows you to change how the voices pronounce certain words if you don’t like the default pronunciation. This is great for the few instances where there’s a word or acronym or name that occurs frequently in a text (reoccurring newsletter or book) that I want Voice Dream to say it differently from the default. I hope the App is taking this data that we users meticulously enter and is using it to guide future adjustments and improvements to the reading engine that the developers build.
While this app is nearly flawless in my eyes now, one annoying bug has keeps in recently: when switching into the app to a reading that has been paused, it frequently jumps to a random point in the text on the screen. If I hit play, it resumes playing at the point where I left off and a quick 2-finger tap will take me back so the right part of the text shows on the screen, but it’s annoying to have to do this when I am regularly switching between Voice Dream and another app I use to take notes on the books I read (Microsoft Word, in case that helps catch the bug!). I hope the team can hunt this one down as they have caught all the others in the past. Keep it up! :)
Amazing productivity tool
Its not whether you can read well or not.
It’s whether you have the energy to stare at a page for long time. I’ve noticed for me that listening is easier than reading when I’m not in the mood and is a way to reduce the activation energy of a task that I wish to get done.
It’s also useful for catching up on articles saved for later to read in pocket. (I started using pocket for this amazing feature) also had it read me a 50 page orientation guide for work and over al just love how it makes things easier. I read great, but we don’t all have the energy or patience 24 hrs a day to read everything.
Plus it allows me to get through more material faster and has sold me on the whole power of text to speech!
Because I saw in another review mention that you can have Siri read you things by setting up accessibility settings and then doing a swipe down on any screen. Yes this is a nice feature I also use, and used prior to finding this app. To me they have different use cases as the flow and how they are used and how well they work in a variety of different situations compared to each other is quite different.
This is useful for actual work and learning and processing things.
Siri accessibility feature is helpful to also have turned on but is only good if you are already physically reading the article or page and item at hand.
This is helpful to share anything too and then go to it when wishing to and have it read away.
Doesn’t add much to system capabilities
My fault, I suppose, for not doing due diligence but I don’t really think this app’s features reflects its price. It is simply an interface for built-in text-to-speech system feature on iOS (with the option of purchasing additional voices which are better but, of course, never as good in practice as the promotional audio samples suggest). Without this app, you can already tell Siri to read you anything, and you can even change the frequency/pitch using free apps (like Apple’s own Workflow app), so this app doesn’t really add much. Voice Dream Reader doesn’t really do what I was hoping it would do, like be smart about not reading footers (which can be very long). If I can quickly delete footers with a simple regex workflow (I’m not a programmer) before it speaks text, then surely this app’s developers can, too? Their pdf margin editor is very difficult to work—surprising given that this app geared to improve digital accessibility. I like the tap gestures, but other than that, this I app doesn’t really add much value to system features, certainly not the kind of value suggested by the price.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the feedback. Yes in principle iOS has text-to-speech, but in practice it leaves a lot to be desired. It doesn't really work with PDF files. It doesn't give you the total freedom to change text size, font, margins, colors, etc. It doesn't track your location, while Voice Dream Reader tracks the sentence that you're listening to resume later. The app comes with a high quality TTS voice from Acapella, such as the voice of Sharon which is probably the best TTS voice in the market. Plus many, many refinements. There is no subscription or other hidden costs.
The fundamental difference is that Voice Dream Reader treats text like musical score that can be played. In other words, this app is a reading system built from ground up for TTS, rather than making TTS an after thought.
Please give the app a week, and I promise that like the hundreds of thousands of other happy users, you'll find delightful refinements that you won't find in any other TTS solution. If you're still not satisfied, we're refund you for the full cost of the app.
- Voice Dream LLC
- 150.9 MB
- Requires iOS 10.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Voice Dream LLC 2018
- In-App Purchases
- James (NeoSpeech US English Voice) $4.99
- Paul (NeoSpeech US English Voice) $4.99
- Salli (Ivona US English Voice) $4.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.