Voice - Take Pictures & Have Them Read w/ Fast OCR
By Shalin Shah
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Take a picture of anything that has words on it, and Voice will read it to you! Designed for iOS 8, this simple and easy to use interface will let you listen to all your books/words/documents/magazines in a matter of seconds.
Running late for work? Just snap a photo of a newspaper article, put on your headphones, and let Voice do the reading for you while you drive peacefully without grieving over not being able to read the news for today.
People with visual impairment or dyslexia can easily snap a photo of anything and have it read in a matter of seconds. Whether it is a menu at a restaurant, a medicine label, and expiration date on a milk carton, or even an information board at a museum.
Foreign exchange students can read and listen to an english book at the same time using this app. Thus, listening to pronunciation and following along, word-by-word.
- Book mode – reads multiple pictures or pages one after another but it takes the same processing time as it does for a single picture. As the initial image is being read, the next image is being processed in the background, and so on... therefore it does not use additional processing time.
- Multiple languages – Reads/Detects in over 30 different languages
- Field of view report – says when all 4 corners of the document are visible
- Auto capture photos without any user interaction.
- Precise document area boundaries detection for better recognition
- Smart Crop – offers the possibility to estimate the quality of the document area boundary detection and make a decision about cropping (to improve processing time).
- Two-dimensional geometric and three-dimensional perspective distortion correction (for better OCR).
- Improved accessibility and made fully compatible with VoiceOver
- Document image auto alignment and rotation.
- Brightness and contrast equalization.
- Document background cleaning.
- Special presets for producing grayscale and color documents optimized for legibility.
- Vertical and horizontal column detection and smart column-based reading- ex: newspapers
- Ability to export text/images to third party service such as Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, Email, and many more!
- Comparable OCR results to other expensive paid services
- Smaller install size than most other services
- Changeable speaking rate – Three speeds that you can choose from, modifiable in Settings.
- Does NOT work with handwritten text
- Make sure your phone isn't on silent and your volume is all the way up (or enough for you to hear the voice).
- Sharp images with even lighting and clear contrasts will work best. Motion blur or bad camera focus will decrease the quality of the detected text.
- Keep the images straight, if the photo is slanted or if the object in the image is curved, it may effect the quality of the text.
- This app works only when connected to the internet.
What's New in Version 3.4
- Fixed the huge bug related to system architecture that caused the whole app to stop working temporarily
- Updated the reading speed when Voice reads words aloud to be slower (you can still change it in settings)
- Improved the Field of View Report to be even more accurate
- Added a "shutter" sound when you take a photo from the application
- Improved the settings page
- More robust reporting service for crashes (helps the developer)
- Overall, squashed lots of sneaky bugs
Has some flaws, but works for what I need.
I've always had a hard time reading and understanding what's going on in the book. I'm a very visual person. Hearing the words and reading alone with it helps tremendously. Though it does have some flaws, but none that are even close to being unbearable in my case.
Don't think about buying this terrible and a RIP-OFF 2 words needs a LOT of work hate it get rid of it if you have it!!! Now!!!😤😤😤😤😤😤😤😤😩😩😩😩😫😫😶😱😱
What a Waste
This app just wasted 3 minutes of my life.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Sep 21, 2016
- Version: 3.4
- Size: 11.0 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Shalin Shah
- © 2015, Shalin Shah.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.