Music theory can be empowering, exciting, and one of the biggest tools in your creative arsenal. Whether you already play an instrument or are just learning, Waay teaches you how to stitch notes together into melodies, chords, and even songs. Read what experts and users are saying about Waay:
"The app is very smooth, and a great resource for learning more about music theory. I found the scale exercises to be very helpful, and I suspect I'll go back to them as a way of keeping those skills sharp."
– Sean Garland (App reviewer at iOS MARS)
“This is a really helpful app. I have been an amateur musician for many years and your circle of fifths explanation is the best I've ever heard. Thanks for putting this app together and sharing it with the world!”
– Tony Smith (Amateur musician)
"If you want a solid introduction to the kind of practical music theory that will get you writing songs that make harmonic sense, then Waay looks like a good place to start."
– John Walden (App reviewer at Music App Blog)
"If only the theory class I dropped out of was as easy and engaging! This is definitely the best way to learn theory. Waay to go!"
– Rob Davis (Guitarist)
“Whether you are a beginner or someone who wants to brush up on their music theory skills, I would recommend Waay!”
– Lisa Chan (Pianist, singer, and music instructor)
You're writing a new song, but keep getting stuck. What chords sound good together? What melody fits those chords? Waay helps you master these skills with its interactive exercises, video lessons, and progress tracking tools.
Waay teaches applied music theory—stuff you can take straight to your instrument and use. Want to know what notes sound good together? Waay covers that in the first course called "Melodies." Want to know which chords fit well together, and how to build any major, minor, or diminished chord? That's what the second course, "Chords," is all about.
Using a combination of bite-size video lessons and interactive exercises, Waay takes you from the basics of notes, steps, and keys all the way through chords, chord progressions, and more. The first course even comes completely free with the app, including 8 video lessons and 9 interactive exercises. Here's what else you get with Waay:
• Music theory tailored for beginners and aspiring songwriters
• Video lessons with many musical examples
• Interactive exercises on keys, intervals, scales, and more
• Built-in tools to track your progress
• No connection required! Lesson videos will download automatically as soon as you're on WiFi, and then you'll never need a connection again to use the app. Perfect for your subway commutes and plane adventures.
And here's what you'll learn:
Course 1: "Melodies" (free with app)
• 8 video lessons, 9 interactive exercises
• Notes and steps: What are the 12 notes in music and how do we talk about them?
• Intervals: Steps, half-steps and moving between notes
• Keys: Learn what notes sound good together and hear audio examples
• Scale building: Build your own major and minor scales from scratch
• Songwriting: Learn how you can use theory to write music
• Circle of fifths: The super-fast way to build scales… and more
• Melodies: How to apply music theory knowledge to writing melodies
Course 2: "Chords" (in-app purchase)
• 8 video lessons, 11 interactive exercises
• Chord foundations: Learn about thirds and fifths—the building blocks of chords
• Building chords: Build any major, minor, or diminished chord with just two intervals
• Songwriting: Hear how a song can be built from a melody by adding just the right chords
• Magic formula: What chords sound together? You'll learn that here
• Chords in major and minor keys: How do you find that perfect progression for your songs?
• Relative major: How are major and minor scales related? And why should we care?
• Fast minor scales: Learn how to build minor scales fast
Get in touch if you have any questions. We'd love to hear from you!
Hello! Here's what's new in this update:
• Waay is now optimized for Apple's brand new iPhone models.
• All lesson videos are now packaged right into the initial app download.
Questions or feedback? Get in touch anytime at alex[at]tenkettles[dot]com. -Alex
Ratings and Reviews
This app is great for learning music theory in a fun way. It teaches you the theory in a a simple and easy to understand way too. This may not be fair but I want to give a four star to encourage the app developers to add a feature that I thing would complete the app; That is to have the notes on a virtual piano. Because why forgo the opportunity to both learn theory and solidify our knowledge of where all the notes lie on the piano?
Great job developer guys and gals?
Hi Ali, glad to hear you're enjoying Waay! Thanks for the feedback. That's an interesting idea to enter exercise answers on a virtual piano, though right now the app is geared towards *any* instrument and I think it's important to reach people "where they live." For example, if a guitar player is learning music theory with Waay, I want them to feel equally at home. :)
That said, there could be an interesting way to approach this which ticks off all boxes, so I've made a note of your feedback for future versions. Please don't hesitate to get in touch with any future questions/comments at alex[at]tenkettles[dot]com. -Alex
P.S. We offer a free virtual instrument on our website too, if you're interested in using it alongside Waay (or anything else). You can find it at http://www.tenkettles.com/noteboard/.
Seventh Chords Are NOT included in CHORDS In-App Purchase
If you're an intermediate or advanced musician looking for an app to practice chords, scales, modes, etc. this app only covers the basics (CHORDS in-app purchase does not include Seventh Chords). Would be excellent if Seventh Chords and (practical) ascending melodic minor and harmonic minor scales were included. Hopefully, an additional course/update will be added in the near future. The app is a great start for beginners (covers basic intervals, triads, Major and natural minor scales.)
Thanks for the kind words about Waay, and for the feedback! The app is indeed geared toward beginners, but for future courses I definitely agree that seventh chords would be a great addition. And for readers of this review wondering whether the material is a good fit for them, check out the App Store description for the specific topics we cover. Thanks again, Alex
This app is addictive!! I’ve been a long time couch strummer who’s blindly followed tabs. This has been my favorite app since my purchase. Knowing what I know now, I would gladly pay 10 times what I paid. My mind is growing musically with a new aha moment each day. Thank youSo much; this app rocks!
- Ten Kettles Inc.
- 241.3 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2015–2018 Ten Kettles Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Course 2: Chords $4.99
- Teacher Mode $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.