The Walk - Fitness Tracker and Game
By Six to Start
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
SPECIAL SALE - 40% OFF! (usually $4.99) Created with the NHS and the UK's Department of Health, The Walk helps you walk more, every single day. When you’re playing The Walk, every step counts.
A bomb explodes in Inverness station, and you’re given a package that could save the world. To stay alive, you’ll need to walk the length of the UK. The Walk is more than just a great pedometer/step counter — it's a way to turn walking into a journey, a challenge, and a rip-roaring adventure.
Made by Six to Start and Naomi Alderman, creators of the world’s most popular running game with over 800,000 players, Zombies, Run!
ENGADGET - “Simple, fun, effective.”
JOYSTIQ - "Spices up your step-tracking with some danger and intrigue.”
BBC NEWS - “Encourages users to walk 10,000 steps-a-day to help improve their health”
LIFEHACKER - “You're motivated to actually get up and move around so you can progress further into the story, and it works really well.”
AWESOME ACTIVITY TRACKER
Just put your phone in your pocket or purse and we’ll track every walk and run you take — and map it, too!
You’ll walk the length of the UK while evading capture by the police and enemy agents. Can you work out who set off that bomb in the first place and what their plan is? Get ready for an epic adventure across 65 episodes, 800 minutes of audio, and hundreds of miles.
Get rewarded for walking more by collecting clues, scanning for information, and unlocking achievements.
The Walk adjusts its difficulty based on individual fitness levels. Everyone’s different, and we make sure we give you the right level of challenge!
OPTIMISED FOR M7 IN IPHONE 5S
Got the iPhone 5s? Then you’ll love The Walk — we use the M7 to count your steps even more accurately and with even less battery usage.
- Requires iOS 7. Works on iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, and iPod Touch 5th gen.
- Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life. The Walk uses your phone’s accelerometer to measure your movement, and primarily uses wifi and cell towers to track location. We also use GPS sparingly when for tracking your walking routes.
- To maintain constant tracking, you’ll need to have ‘Background App Refresh’ set to ON for The Walk (Settings > General > Background App Refresh)
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/thewalkgame
Join our mailing list: http://www.thewalkgame.com
What's New in Version 1.2
The thrilling story continues in this massive Part 2 update, which adds all 65 maps covering 51 episodes, 14 challenges and over 800 minutes of audio content.
More motivating than a fitness band!
Highly motivating!! I use a pedometer for 10,000 steps for accuracy, so the app is used for sheer entertainment value. If I see a spot on my map, that is blinking 17 minutes away, I will walk that 17 minutes just to get a 1 minute audio bite. I had no idea I could be so easily motivated by such tiny rewards. Before this, I’d stare at my watch and count the minutes until I could stop walking. I never walked over 25 minutes. With this app I have taken 2 hour long walks effortlessly with a silly grin on my face, while I listen to delicious UK accents. (If they got Charles Dance, Benedict Cumberbatch or Tom Hiddleston for the voice actors I would be svelte. ) Between using this, training with kettle bells (low impact!), and following the 10 day detox diet I’ve lost 14 lbs in 6 weeks. I do wish they would credit the actors for the characters they played- I found a wiki that helps do this. Some days, I save the audio for a reward and listen in the bath or right before sleep. I like being reminded daily that I am taking steps to actively changing my health. Please keep making more of these!
What You Need To Know
I think this app is wonderful and highly recommend it--and I'm the type that seldom reviews apps. Instead of writing a long review, I'll mention items that might help potential buyers:
1) The story takes a while to get going. Give it time; you'll be glad you did. Think of it as a 25+ hour audiobook. Like any good story, setting, characters, motivations, and whatnot must be established. It's also a mystery with surprises and foreshadowing.
2) The story synopsis mentions terrorism but this is more of a light sci-fi tale at heart.
3) Think of this as a motivational and/or lifestyle augmentation app. It is not a workout app. If you are looking to get more cardio in each day, or enjoy something akin to the 3DS' StreetPass games, you will love this.
4) This. Is. Not. A. Pedometer. Nor does it claim to be one. The people trashing the app for that miss the point, and for all we know they might have dropped their iPhones repeatedly and messed up the innards which the app relies on to calculate "steps".
5) It's not too hard on the battery. There are settings you can adjust if you want to maximize battery life.
6) Last, but not least: this is the sort of game that you will feel a little sad when it's over. Before I realized there was an update that doubled the amount of chapters, I felt that way as I neared the "end".
Hope that helps a few. Enjoy!
Excellent! Want More!
I've been trying to increase my activity the last year. First step is tracking/measuring. So I got a UP band, then a Fitbit Flex, then a Fitbit Force and now an UP24. While their apps and communities provided some motivation, I needed more. The Walk was just what I needed. Some days, I would either go out and walk or hit the treadmill for 30-60 minutes just to finish off a mission in 1 day (and without 3 hours of inactivity). The story line and voice acting are superb. Made me want to do two missions in a day, and sometimes I did.
Well, yesterday I completed the game and now I want more. I hope Six To Start come out with a sequel.
If you need motivation to walk more or just want to make it more fun, get this app. You won't regret it.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Health & Fitness
- Updated: Feb 20, 2014
- Version: 1.2
- Size: 831 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Six to Start
- © Six to Start
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.