The Walk - Fitness Tracker and Game
By Six to Start
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
SPECIAL SALE - 40% OFF! (usually $4.99) Created with the NHS and the UK's Department of Health, The Walk helps you walk more, every single day. When you’re playing The Walk, every step counts.
A bomb explodes in Inverness station, and you’re given a package that could save the world. To stay alive, you’ll need to walk the length of the UK. The Walk is more than just a great pedometer/step counter — it's a way to turn walking into a journey, a challenge, and a rip-roaring adventure.
Made by Six to Start and Naomi Alderman, creators of the world’s most popular running game with over 800,000 players, Zombies, Run!
ENGADGET - “Simple, fun, effective.”
JOYSTIQ - "Spices up your step-tracking with some danger and intrigue.”
BBC NEWS - “Encourages users to walk 10,000 steps-a-day to help improve their health”
LIFEHACKER - “You're motivated to actually get up and move around so you can progress further into the story, and it works really well.”
AWESOME ACTIVITY TRACKER
Just put your phone in your pocket or purse and we’ll track every walk and run you take — and map it, too!
You’ll walk the length of the UK while evading capture by the police and enemy agents. Can you work out who set off that bomb in the first place and what their plan is? Get ready for an epic adventure across 65 episodes, 800 minutes of audio, and hundreds of miles.
Get rewarded for walking more by collecting clues, scanning for information, and unlocking achievements.
The Walk adjusts its difficulty based on individual fitness levels. Everyone’s different, and we make sure we give you the right level of challenge!
OPTIMISED FOR M7 IN IPHONE 5S
Got the iPhone 5s? Then you’ll love The Walk — we use the M7 to count your steps even more accurately and with even less battery usage.
- Requires iOS 7. Works on iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, and iPod Touch 5th gen.
- Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life. The Walk uses your phone’s accelerometer to measure your movement, and primarily uses wifi and cell towers to track location. We also use GPS sparingly when for tracking your walking routes.
- To maintain constant tracking, you’ll need to have ‘Background App Refresh’ set to ON for The Walk (Settings > General > Background App Refresh)
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/thewalkgame
Join our mailing list: http://www.thewalkgame.com
What's New in Version 1.2
The thrilling story continues in this massive Part 2 update, which adds all 65 maps covering 51 episodes, 14 challenges and over 800 minutes of audio content.
What You Need To Know
I think this app is wonderful and highly recommend it--and I'm the type that seldom reviews apps. Instead of writing a long review, I'll mention items that might help potential buyers:
1) The story takes a while to get going. Give it time; you'll be glad you did. Think of it as a 25+ hour audiobook. Like any good story, setting, characters, motivations, and whatnot must be established. It's also a mystery with surprises and foreshadowing.
2) The story synopsis mentions terrorism but this is more of a light sci-fi tale at heart.
3) Think of this as a motivational and/or lifestyle augmentation app. It is not a workout app. If you are looking to get more cardio in each day, or enjoy something akin to the 3DS' StreetPass games, you will love this.
4) This. Is. Not. A. Pedometer. Nor does it claim to be one. The people trashing the app for that miss the point, and for all we know they might have dropped their iPhones repeatedly and messed up the innards which the app relies on to calculate "steps".
5) It's not too hard on the battery. There are settings you can adjust if you want to maximize battery life.
6) Last, but not least: this is the sort of game that you will feel a little sad when it's over. Before I realized there was an update that doubled the amount of chapters, I felt that way as I neared the "end".
Hope that helps a few. Enjoy!
The app tracks my steps completely accurately. The story is involving and motivating. I get up each morning and start the episode, then listen to the sound clips as they’re unlocked throughout the day, when I’m notified on my lock screen. I take a moment, look at the game, hunt for the latest found items on the map, then it’s back to work. This is doing exactly what it’s supposed to do. I think the trouble is that people are trying to use this for a workout like Zombies, Run, when it’s meant to be experienced at an all-day pace. The sound design is brilliant, btw.
It DOES work with treadmills!
Edited--Finally found out how to make it work with the treadmill--I love this app. I had surgery recently and had to spend a lot of time sitting and resting while I healed. This is a perfect way to ease me back into an exercise routine again. I'm hopeful that there are other apps like this out there, because once this ends, I'll need something else to motivate me again!
- Category: Health & Fitness
- Updated: Feb 20, 2014
- Version: 1.2
- Size: 831 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Six to Start
- © Six to Start
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.