War in the Pacific
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
***ONLY IN ENGLISH.***
2nd Best selling book on the US App Store!
War in the Pacific by Richard Overy is a beautiful book filled with hundreds of outstanding photographs, works of art and maps, providing a unique interactive experience on the iPad that brings the past to life. It takes Book Applications to a whole new level.
This interactive experience brings the era and events to life as never before: turn some of the darkest pages of history, zoom-in on high-quality photographs, watch animated maps and archive videos that retrace events, and interact with carefully selected documents of the time.
Immerse yourself in the relentless war against Japan that raged in the Pacific Islands for years and formed a decisive part of the Allies’ eventual victory in World War II. Setting the scene with the unprovoked Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor and the almost simultaneous attacks on US bases on Guam and Wake Island, the app goes on to document the bloody battles fought in the jungle islands of Guadalcanal and the Philippines and on the Pacific Ocean. It is the story of the heroic men who toiled and fought on the islands, the names of which have now become synonymous with bloodshed, hardship and an unstoppable spirit.
This book-app features:
- Foreword by Dale Dye, Senior Military Advisor to HBO’s new blockbuster series The Pacific and Band of Brothers
- Archive documentary videos from 1945 detailing the planning and battles (naval, land and air) that lead to the defeat of the Japanese Empire
- Animated maps summarizing important historical events and military moves before each part of the book
- 19 outstanding facsimile documents:
o Franklin D. Roosevelt’s draft, with hand-written amendments, for his “Day of Infamy” speech
o Pocket Guide to Australia: Information for American Troops stationed in Australia
o Chief of Staff directive on the capture of the Solomons and the assault on Rabaul
o Handwritten DeVane report on the assault of Guadalcanal including a hand-drawn map
o Radio messages sent by Marines during the battle for Tarawa
o Marine reports on the battle of Iwo Jima
o And much more
Richard Overy is Professor of History at the University of Exeter and author of over 20 books on the Second World War. He is the winner of the Wolfson Prize for History and in 2001 was awarded the Samuel Eliot Morison Prize. He regularly contributes to the Independent, Sunday Telegraph, Guardian and the Literary Review.
Certain apps allow you to purchase virtual items within the app and may contain third party advertisements that may redirect you to a third party site.
Overall, Very Good...but
I love the format and all of the little things to discover that add to the educational value of the app. The only problem is that there are several spots where it seems like high school students did the proofreading. Too many misspellings can detract from the quality of a product like this. It just seems unprofessional in certain areas. The captions for the photos seem to be most common victims of poor quality control.
Text is Terrible!
I suspect most people who are rating this book highly are looking at it's presentation and photos: both of which are good. However the text is down right awful. Partial sentences, incomplete thoughts, jumbled words. Beyond the introduction its basically unreadable. If you want to see visually what a good book is like, this is good. But do NOT plan to actually read it.
Where is the off button for the sound?
What were these people thinking? This app plays music incessantly and there is no way to stop the sound from within the app. The music may be appropriate to a trailer on TV but is totally unnecessary in an ebook.
The developers need to issue an update with the ability to switch off the sound.
- Category: Books
- Released: Jan 13, 2011
- Version: 1.0.0
- Size: 485 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Gameloft
- This digital edition adapted from the print edition by Carlton Publishing Group, 2010. Email firstname.lastname@example.org ISBN to 978 1 84732 392 7 Original design and maps © Carlton Books Ltd, 2010. Text © Richard Overy, 2010. All rights reserved. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private research, criticism, or review, as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, no part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, electrical, chemical, mechanical, optical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. Enquiries should be addressed to the Publishers. Digital edition created by and © 2010 Gameloft. All Rights Reserved. Gameloft is a trademark of Gameloft in the US and/or other countries.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.2 or later. Compatible with iPad.