War of Words is the action-packed crossword game with bombs! It starts with the turn-based word spelling gameplay you know and love—and adds Action Tiles! Have you ever wanted to blow up your opponent’s words? Or maybe steal some words for yourself? Now you can.
EVERYONE LOVES WAR OF WORDS!
"In comparison to War of Words, [those other word games] are so innocent." —TiPb
"War of Words adds a welcome cut-throat edge to more classic word games... and is damn fun to play as a result." —What's On iPhone
"This game threw all my prejudices about crossword puzzles out the window!" —AppMyWorld
"If you like crossword battle games and the letters on your board have worn away with use, then I suggest you give this game a try and see if the aggressive gameplay helps to refresh a classic board game." —Smokin' Apps
"Thankfully a spelling game where the favor tends to lean on my [aggressive] side." —App Store Arcade
INNOVATIVE NEW GAMEPLAY
- Start with the standard online crossword gameplay you know and love
- No longer limited to just letters – War of Words introduces Action Tiles!
- Bomb Tiles let you destroy your opponent’s letters
- Thief Tiles allow you to steal words from the other player
- Drop Land Mine Tiles to catch your opponent unaware
- Play your own Multiplier Tiles to get the score of your dreams
- Reverse Tiles let you play a word backwards
- Start Over Tiles let you start a word anywhere on the board – without connecting to another word
- Use an Extra Turn Tile to play two turns in a row
- Barricade Tiles let you block strategic locations on the board
- Shield Tiles protect areas from your opponent
- Wildcards can be multiple letters at the same time
- Many different board layouts to try
- Play online with up to 60 friends at once, or play at home with friends using Pass and Play
- Start a Random game to get into the action fast
- Online leaderboards let you compare your best scores against your friends – and the world!
- Nearly 100 achievements to keep your games interesting
- Word definitions for those crazy plays
A TRULY SOCIAL EXPERIENCE
- Instantly start a game with any of your Game Center friends
- Online chat
- Push notifications let you know when to play
- Invite friends using Facebook, Twitter, or email
- Find friends using your contact list, their email address, Game Center nickname, and more
- Devices supported: iPhone 4S and up, iPod Touch 5th Generation and up, iPad 2 and up
- Requires iOS 9 or higher
- A Game Center account is required to play with friends
- Requires an Internet connection
- Support for iOS 10
- Bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
War of Words is a new next generation online crossword game. This is a turn based spelling game that requires two players, either online or local with the pass and play mode. It uses Game Center integration for playing online, but also includes an online leaderboard and in game achievements. You can play with up to 30 friends at once. With multiple different games going at the same time, you don’t have to wait for your turn, just pop into another game where it is your turn and do the same when your turn is over. This keeps the game exciting and fast paced, as some people will take their time with their turns.
One down side I can see is that you need two players, its not a game that you can just pick up anywhere and play by your self, unless you have internet connection all the time. Also the game has an over the top video intro and a great in app tutorial explaining how to play. Its and easy to get into word game with a great random opponent quick game mode that lets you jump right in. Overall a great word game for anyone who wants to keep their mind and vocabulary active.
Finally a Scrabble game that isn't just Scrabble
This game is a lot of fun and I'm enjoying more than both Scrabble and Words With Friends. The various new tiles such as bombs, reverse (play a word in reverse), letter and word multiplier TILES, etc, and multiple boards to play on, breath new life into the game. It's probably a more random game than Scrabble as a result, but it's a lot of fun.
One complaint is that it doesn't review what your opponent did on their turn, or if it does than it is so fast that you can't see it. Another complaint is that when playing pass-and-play it doesn't hide the tile rack, land mines and such when switching turns. I hope both of these will be addressed in an update. Otherwise it's well done with good in-game as-you-go tutorials to teach you how each tile works.
WOW😱 Wild and Wonderful
It's truly WOW- War Of Words' initials suit its fun and versatility. On the surface you'll think it's another Scrabble-type game--that is until you discover the various boards of differing difficulty, alternate tile supplies, bombs, barricades, etc. just when you've decided you hate one of the special features like shields, or reverse play, you hear of someone using them to score thousands of points.
The scoring is WILD! It's possible to get millions of points (with a collaborator) and yet playing a game where each of you struggles to get 500 points can still be exciting. It's intense and very challenging, full of surprises, and will keep you up very late some nights. Get it. It's good.
- Wolf Studios, LLC
- 84.3 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2016 Wolf Studios, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- 60 Game Slots $2.99
Get all of your passes, tickets, cards, and more in one place.
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.